50 Years of Music, A True Calling

Dorothy Price starting playing the Berryville Baptist Church organ in 1961 at the age of 22. Fifty years later, she is still going strong, playing the organ and piano, directing the choir and managing other responsibilities as Minister of Music.  And the church congregation is ecstatic!  To commemorate this milestone, church members and friends surprised Dorothy at the Sunday service on October 30th with a celebration.

Dorothy Price celebrates 50 years of beautiful music - Photo courtesy Cheryl Levi

Dorothy called the celebration “pretty incredible.”  In addition to the celebration, she was surprised that her three children and their families were all in attendance, something she didn’t realize until the end of the service when the family came to join her at the front of the church.  During the event, church member and friend John Lyttle read two very moving letters from past ministers Rev. Julian Orrel and Rev. Bill Ingram.

One interesting note is that the congregation threw the celebration at the end of a Music Sunday Service – a service that Dorothy organized!   One of her tasks as Minister of Music is to organize Music Sundays, services held in any month with a fifth Sunday.  Dorothy fills the service with music of different types, from different groups and soloists, all for the glory of God.  A typical Music Sunday has a mix of hymn singing, choir anthems, bell choir pieces, bluegrass, praise songs from our GLOW praise band, soloist or group vocalists from the congregation or guests, and a mix of organ, piano and flute.  The services are uplifting and filled with worship, all through music.

Photo courtesy Cheryl Levi

After the service, a luncheon was held.  The highlight of that was a beautiful cake, baked and decorated by Patti Royston, in the shape of a hymnal open to a page with the words to “How Great Thou Art,” Dorothy’s favorite hymn.

To further commemorate her golden anniversary, a plaque will be hung in the church in her honor.

Dorothy views her position as more than a job; it’s a calling.  And she plans to “do this as long as I feel I can and feel the need.”

About Berryville Baptist Church:

Berryville Baptist Church is located at 114 Academy Street in Berryville, VA.  Rev. Dan Stanley holds Sunday services at 9 and 11 AM.   Nursery and pre-school are provided for children through the first grade during the 11 a.m. worship service.  Sunday school for all ages starts at 9:45 AM each Sunday and other Bible studies are available throughout the week.  Call 540-955-1423.  Visit them online at www.berryvillebaptist.org or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/berryvillebaptist.

Both photographs – courtesy of Cheryl Levi

Comments

1. DAWN PRICE says:

way to go maw maw

2. Audra Wallace says:

Congratulations, Dorothy, on 50 years of music at Berryville Baptist Church! And thank you for all that you do for the church!

3. Ivan Lambert says:

oh wow, I vividly recall growing up in Berryville and seeing Mrs Price come to our little league football games, as well as her cheering on Butch Price her son as he was QB at CCHS.

50 years is quite an accomplishment, and it sounds like many in the church recognize her commitment being evidenced by her one-half century of service.

4. David W. Conrad says:

Dorothy Price is just too amazing for words!! 🙂

5. Dorothy’s church appreciates her loyalty and musical talent. For many years, I enjoyed Christmas music at the Berryville Baptist Church. Thank you Dorothy Price.

6. Cheryl Levi says:

It was a glorious day and so well-deserved. I have always loved hearing the piano and organ sing by my mom’s fingertips. There is nothing like it, Congratulations mom, here’s to 50 more!

7. Mrs. Price has led the music at Berryville Baptist Church for as long as I remember. My father and aunt both sang in the choir in earlier days, and when I was old enough I joined the adult choir with my dad. I have many fond memories of learning music for Sunday services and for special occasions, such as Christmas and Easter.

I remember that, as a young college music student, I was asked to substitute for Mrs. Price on the rare occasion that she was away.

God bless Mrs. Price for her service and dedication to her ministry.

• Dorothy Price says:

Thank you to everyone for your comments. I am truly blessed to have wonderful friends and family. This was a great celebration for me and I thank God for the opportunity to serve Him through my music. God bless all of you.

Dorothy Price

• Woody Ramsey says:

Donna and I were truly blessed by being a part of the choir for those many years. It was always a joy to be with you, and our time spent in Berryville Baptist was something we’ll always cherish. When I was deployed to Iraq I had some time to reflect on the past and I found that the memories of your sweet smile, sunny disposition, and the fun we had during our rehearsals made a bitter deployment a much more bearable experience for me. God bless you Dorothy, and keep smiling – it’s contagious!!!