Billy Thompson Found Dead in Home

According to a statement by Clarke County Sheriff Tony Roper:

“On March 16, 2011, W.R. “Billy” Thompson was discovered dead at his residence in White Post by family members.

This discovery was made in the morning hours.

As is the policy of this office when there is an unattended death, there is an investigation being conducted, but at this time there appears to be no foul play.”

Thompson was the driving force behind  White Post Restorations, a local company that developed an international reputation for quality classic car restorations.  White Post Restorations was founded in 1940 as a two-man repair shop for farm machinery and local cars. White Post Restorations  grew from humble beginnings in 1940 to a well respected automotive operation with in-door space for over 60 vehicles.

In addition to running his car restoration business, Thompson was a tireless promoter of Clarke County and local events.

More information will be provided as it becomes available.

W. R. "Billy" Thompson was found dead at his White Post home on Wednesday

Comments

1. sumrbrez says:

Omigawd … this is horrible and I’m so sorry to read it.

2. Lynette Brondstater-Carlisle says:

LOVE WINS THE DAY

RIP, Billy.

3. White Post won’t be the same without him. R.I.P.

4. White Post will mourn this devastating loss of our larger than life patriarch, our unofficial mayor. As relative newcomers to this quaint village we will always remember Billy’s overwhelming enthusiasm for what he deemed “the most beautiful place on earth”. We are honored to have been able to call him neighbor and remain grateful to him for making us feel so welcome. Our heartfelt sympathy goes out to the entire Thompson family as well as the extended White Post Restoration family.

5. 1985-86 was a good year to be Miss Clarke County. Billy Thompson treated me with such kindness and respect through all those cake and ribbon-cuttings, parades, and celebrations he made happen for the Sesquicentennial. He had magic in him! Peace to his loved ones.

6. Bocephus says:

Billy did such a great job with The World Comes to White Post. It was a amazing to see and do so much as a child. RIP and God Bless.

7. he repaired brake parts for my business ,he always had sutch enthusiam my mom grew up with him in white post and all are proud of him and his shop,he will be missed ! last time a couple months ago ,i picked up parts with my daughter wile on my way to take her to ballett in winchester ,i mentioned this and he was so encouraging and asked sutch thoughtfull questions mand her feel very acomplished !!billy will be missed 🙁

8. A true icon who will be sorely missed.

9. I have know the family my entire life and my life if fuller for it. A pillar of the community will be missed.

10. Jeremy Carter says:

RIP Billy! Very, very sad to say the least!

The only man who knew how to grow, and properly maintain an awesome ‘stache all those years!

11. Mimi Stein says:

I cannot imagine Clarke County without him — what a blow.

• Sojourner Truth says:

Truly no one has had such an impact on White Post, with the possible exception of Lord Fairfax and George Washington! There are so many things he did for his community. He literally put the place on the map. How many times did he see that the Post was repaired, replaced, or repainted and that this landmark would stay as it was for generations? Certainly a dedication or memorial of some sort in the village is in order. Thank you, Billy; your accomplishments have definitely left us a better place!