CC Public Schools Release 2012 IB Results

Clarke County High School is pleased to announce its International Baccalaureate (IB) results from the May 2012 examination session.

This year seven students were candidates for the full IB diploma. Five students achieved their goal, for a diploma success rate of 71%, the highest percentage in the past six years of IB testing. All seven diploma candidates passed their Theory of Knowledge assessment, their Extended Essay, and their Creativity, Action, and Service projects.

Overall, students took a total of 125 different IB assessments in 19 different subject areas, including English language and literature, world languages, social studies, laboratory sciences, mathematics, and the arts. In 15 out of these 19 subject areas, the mean score was four or higher, which is considered evidence of satisfactory achievement by IB. In three of the remaining four subject areas, the mean score was three or higher, generally considered a passing score in American schools.

In six subject areas student mean scores exceeded worldwide mean scores. This is a significant achievement for local students, as many IB schools worldwide have a rigorous selection process for IB and permit only an elite group of young people to attempt the program. Clarke County High School continues to maintain an open enrollment policy in which any student who wishes to enroll in an IB class and take the corresponding test is encouraged to do so. The fact that our self-selected IB students compared so well with IB students worldwide is a true credit to their hard work, selfless dedication, and academic success.

As school reopens in late summer, faculty will use the results of the IB testing to evaluate the school’s own curriculum and instruction within the IB program. “The student performance data gives us a snapshot of our performance as a school,” said Thom Potts, CCHS IB Coordinator. “We will be analyzing the results carefully in order to maintain our strengths and to improve in areas where we want our students to score higher. Overall, though, we are very pleased with our students’ performance this year. The hard work of all of our IB students and teachers is evident in their results.”

Comments

1. Kathy E says:

Seems llke a whole lot of resources for 5 students!

• Another View says:

Should we ignore those with talent?

• Observer says:

More than 7 students take IB courses, again many students take an IB course or two or more to prepare themselves for college-level work. These 7 students went for the full blown program, but again many of the students in the high school are challenging themselves based on their interests and strengths. So although it seems that these resources are only reaching 7 students, the reality is that the resources are reaching a huge number of the student population.

• You’re spot on. I took an IB Math class since I’m fairly advanced in that area. I also took an IB Music course and though I didn’t go for the diploma, I tested in this course. It was a challenge and made me appreciate what I want to do for a career. I don’t regret this decision. I was able to be challenged in an area that interests me instead of being stressed out for work about things that I don’t care about and will never use at such an advanced level.

2. To do it right, that’s the way it goes. IB is not for every student, and shouldn’t be. Same way vocational courses aren’t for everyone, nor AP, etc.

3. Jill Valentine Welton says:

The availability of the IB program is what helped my family decide to move to Berryville. My oldest daughter will begin her IB experience this coming school year. In fact, it’s begun already since she is reading novels and having to write papers, etc. all before school starts. I’m blessed that she is self-motivated. I don’t think the rigors of IB are or should be forced on every student. As said above, “vocational courses aren’t for everyone, nor AP…” But truly our small school system should be capable of offering the best curriculum available. My opinion is that I prefer the approach IB takes towards the different courses of study and discipline. AP has a different approach and many prefer that. There are arguments on both sides. But I must say that NO program except for IB has students consistently write research papers. That training is worth whatever resources we have to expend.

• Right Winger says:

True, but in order for your student to get the college credit for the IB course, the teacher must be properly accredited. Make sure you check that for EVERY IB class your children enroll in.

It’s been my experience that the dual enrollment through LFCC and JMU is the BEST option.

4. Midwesterner says:

With reference to “resources”, my son was one of the “5”. He wrote and studied on his own for years to achieve his success. As far as i could tell, aside from mr potts being the IB lead, there we’re no special resources for these kids. In fact, aside from a couple Theory of Knowldge books i did see over the course of his IB pursuit, many of the IB classes did not even have a text book to use. The Europeans have specific texts for their IB programs. Clarke kids made do with what the county “allowed” the school to use…and they still out-did the previous five years of IBers. Oh, and did i mention that the families of IB students have to pay hundreds of dollars per year for the opportunity to take the classes and tests? Talk about hidden taxation.
    Quit complaining…we not –and we are the ones out the money (also, its not that we are wealthy–its just that in our family we put a priority on education and expanding the mind outside of the county borders).