The Clarke County Athletic Hall of Fame is now accepting nominations for this year’s class. The Hall honors athletes, coaches, and contributors to both Clarke County High School and Johnson-Williams High School’s athletic programs. It was begun with 1990’s first class and currently has 163 members who were athletes, coaches, and contributors of note. Athletes must have graduated from either high school at least ten years ago, and have had significant participation in one or several sports. Coaches must have been a coach at one of the schools, been out of coaching at Clarke for at least three years, and exhibited success, program growth, and leadership as a coach. Contributors’ efforts are to be directly related to the success and support of Clarke high school sports.
Nominations forms are to be submitted to Nancy Specht, Director of the Hall of Fame, by July 1st, 2012, and must be signed off by two current members of the Hall. These can either be mailed to her at 227 Hyslip Ford Road, Bunker Hill, WV 25413 or sent electronically (firstname.lastname@example.org).
On Wednesday, July 25th, the Hall of Fame selection committee will meet and review applications, 7 p.m., at the new high school. At that time supporters of the nominations can appear before the Board to give reasons why their candidate should belong in the Hall. The committee is composed of two members from each decade: before 1960, 1960, 1970, 1980, 1990, one from 2000, two graduates of Johnson-Williams High School, two members at large, and the high school’s athletic director. The committee will then select this year’s new class.
The Hall of Fame game will be Friday, September 7th, beginning at 7:30 p.m. against Stonewall Jackson High School. The HOF reception and gathering will begin at 6:00 in the east end zone with new members to be introduced and then officially inducted during the half-time ceremony
The nomination form in Word format can be downloaded here: Hall of Fame nomination form 2012
The current list of members of the hall of fame can be downloaded here: Hall of Fame list by years
The following criteria are to be used in nominating and selecting applicants for the Clarke County Hall of Fame. The mandatory requirements are identified.
- Must be a graduate of a public high school in Clarke County and at least ten years since high school graduation – Mandatory.
- Significant participation and achievement in more than one sport.
- Individual State champion (Consider how many participants of that sport in the State.)
- Individual Regional champion
- Individual District champion
- State/Regional/District champion team member (Consider how many participants of that sport in the State.)
- All-Area recognition (i.e., Winchester Star, Northern Virginia Daily, Washington Post All-Met teams.)
- Endorsement from coach(es)
- Character (Examples might be leadership, scholastic achievement, or community services.)
- Some consideration will be given to post-high school sports achievements that further demonstrate character and continued dedication to sports.
- Must have been a coach at a high school in Clarke County.
- Length and quality of coaching period
- Success as a coach, program growth, and leadership as a coach.
1. Achievements, improvements, and/or other contributions made by individuals. These efforts are directly related to the success and support of high school sports in Clarke County.