Clarke County Defeats Madison to Share Title

Madison hoped this would be the game to break the Clarke County hex, but when the chips were down the Eagles came to play. In the final game of the regular season, with the district title on the line the Clarke County Eagles rose to the occasion and defeated the Madison County Mountaineers 28- 20. The victory over Madison, plus Manassas Park’s 48-8 win over George Mason means the Bull Run District has a three way tie for the title. More importantly, Clarke County’s   win secures   a home field advantage for the Eagles in the first round of the playoffs.

Eagles line up to punch in their first score - Photo Mike Dowling

Madison won the toss and opened the game with a solid combination of running lead by #22 Ralph Yates and a passing attack between QB #8 Dustin Farmer and #4 Rashad Bolden. The Mountaineers marched down the field in their opening drive punching the ball in on the 9th play of the drive to take the lead 7-0 with with 7:46 left in the first quarter.

As the Eagles took over their first drive they moved the ball well but the Madison defense made a stand on their 27 yard line and held the Eagles on 4th and 9 and recovered the ball on downs.

Two series later the Eagles would break onto the scoreboard with a Grant Shaw touchdown run from the 2 yard line to tie the score at 7-7 with 7:46 left in the half.

Madison’s Ralph Yates started his string of long returns on the next kick off and gave Madison a 1-10 on the Eagle 25 yard line. Special teams would leave the Eagles defending bad field position all night with kicker Matt Moyer making his first of several last man tackles on Yates.   Two plays later the Mountaineers capitalized on the long return and took back the lead with Yates’ scoring a second touchdown, this time from the 18 yard line with 6:48 in the half.

The Eagle offense struggled with their next possession and were unable to answer going 3 and out giving Madison the ball back with 4:32 left in the half.

Madison would waste no time adding to the scoreboard going 55 yards in a minute and half to extend their lead.   Another Yates touchdown and a blocked PAT put them in the lead 20-7 with 3:03 left to play in the first half.

The Eagles would not go into the half without a fight. Starting their next series from their own 31 a pass to #32 Alex Sefton lead to a bizarre series of penalties. As Sefton ran down field, he was caught from behind and fumbled the ball at the 20 yard line and Madison recovered the ball on the 12 yard line. However the Madison player had left the field of play and was the first to make contact with the ball when he recovered it. The referee threw the flag for Illegal touch. Madison’s coaching staff went ballistic and was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct and another penalty was assessed. By the time the play was sorted out Clarke had retained the lost fumble and was first and goal on the 4 yard line.   Three plays later #1 Grant Shaw would cross the goal for his second touchdown of the night to leave the Eagles trailing by 6 at halftime with the score Madison 20, Clarke   14.

2010 Bull Run District Champ Clarke County Eagles - Photo Mike Dowling

Halftime adjustments and a will to win brought Clarke onto the field in the second half with a storm. On the second play of the half #22 Ron Anderson cut loose on a 60 yard TD run that put the Eagles in the lead for the first time, and there was no going back.

Four turnovers scuttled any hopes Madison had for pulling off a victory against Clarke. #32 Alex Sefton had three interceptions in the second half effectively neutralizing Madison’s passing game. A fumble recovery by #61 Logan Large accounted for the fourth turnover in the second half and the Mountaineers could not mount a comeback.

Clarke scored their final points of the regular season with the fourth Grant Shaw touchdown of the night late in the third quarter and held on to win 28-20.

Clarke finishes their regular season with a 9-1 record and shares the Bull Run District Title with Madison and Manssas Park. Stay tuned for playoff details as they become available.

UPDATE:   Region B, Division 2 Semifinal: Clarke County will face Buckingham, Friday, 7:30 pm. Both teams enter this match up at 9-1.

Comments

1. Ivan Lambert says:

Always enjoy reading of the home-towm Eagles succeeding in Athletics!
    “Let’s give a cheer for the orange and blue, waving forever…”
    Don’t recall any of the rest
    🙂

2. Cheer….yes, lets give a cheer for a great team and a great win. Now I have a question that has bothered me for many years, but now I must ask. I will probaby draw the ire of many, but hey, I am allowed to voice my opinion, right?

Every game, we see the cheerleaders out there on the field. When I was a cheerleader, our goal was to get the crowd going, get them loud and behind the team, get everyone cheering them on so they felt the support and played even better.

Well, it appears cheerleading has changed, because all I see are quiet cheers, chatting, playing with hair, mostly watching the game and perhaps a cheer every 5 minutes or so. What is the deal? Seriously, why arent these girls cheering nonstop, especially in a close game like last night, to get the crowd going and rowdy for their team? I could hear the cheerleaders from Madison County but I sure bet they couldnt hear ours.

It may seem like a trivial complaint, but fan support is the biggest thing our guys need when they are under pressure and the cheerleaders job is to cheer, chant, and get the crowd involved. All I have been seeing are girls who want to stand in front of the crowd and look pretty and dont really get the who concept of CHEERleader!

• I agree 110% …you may have seen me expressing these same frustrating feelings to the girls at the game – at the point when the team was down in the 2nd quarter they were silent for 10 minutes (or more) when I asked the girls on the end why they were not cheering they looked at me like I had three heads. So I approached the Coordinator (who was talking to some guy over the fence) she seemed disinterested in my comments too.

In the end it did pick up a bit but not nearly enough – You are right Lori, you could hear the Madison crew all the time …When I was a cheerleader, we were expected to be moving, jumping, chanting, yelling as much as possible especially when we were down.

Come on girls!!

• LORI: were you at the same game as me last Friday? Our crowd was far too loud for me to hear the Madison cheerleaders. Although I agree that the girls should be cheering more, that is solely the coaches decision. She calls the cheers. As for watching the game, what would you expect them to do between cheers? They’re just as psyched about it as the rest of the fans. The varsity coach is Melissa Astin. If this issue has bothered you for many years, I suggest you contact her and get it off your chest. Just a side note: these girls are totally aware of the concept of cheerleading. They have busted their behinds practicing for competition – I should know, my daughter is one of those girls “standing in front of the crowd and looking pretty” – – and I’m extremely proud of her.

• I thought cheerleaders were supposed to lead cheers, not watch the game, no matter how exciting it may be. However, the crowd does a pretty good job of pumping themselves up lately, so the cheerleaders don’t even matter except when it’s time to throw plastic footballs into the crowd.

What happened to the Eagle Mascot that used to walk around? I haven’t seen it all season long!

• being fair says:

not supposed to watch the game? Where is that rule written? And YES, the cheerleaders DO matter, so save your [redacted] comments. As for the mascot, that smelly, nasty thing is probably stuffed in some box where it belongs.

3. Darren "Fly" Lambert says:

Great Game guys!….Good Luck next week!

4. Very exciting game. I enjoyed the chorus singing the National Anthem and the marching band was awesome at halftime. Well done guys.

5. What happened with the Madison County player who got taken out on the ambulance? Is he okay?

• CCHS Parent says:

I heard he broke his collar bone.

• The kid got put on a backboard and immobilized for a broken collarbone?

• CDN: From the Athletic Director at Madison : The player I believe you are referring to is Rashad Bolden #4. He had a mild shoulder injury and will need another week of recovery time before he is able to play again.

Thanks for your concerns

• Good to know. With him not moving for a while on the field, I was worried it was something really bad.

Best game all season, as far as I’m concerned!

6. CC Resident says:

It was a great game but does anyone ever wonder why you have all those boys in the great picture above and only part of them play every game. All those boys put their heart and soul into their practice but in the eyes of the coach are never good enough to play equal time. I realize that winning seems to be the thing but what about the teaching of teamwork.

There are enough boys on that side line that it seems all could be taught a job to do just as in professional sports. You don’t see the same players on the field playing offense, defense, special teams, etc.

Come on coaches – you do a good job. Do a better job and teach teamwork and allow all the boys to have as equal playing time as possible. Give them all a chance. There are enough boys that you could have an offensive group, a defensive group, etc.

• Even though it would be nice for each player to get some playing time….it just won’t happen. That mentality usually stops at the Little League Level. Once you reach Middle School and High School sports the focus turns to winning and playing the players that give you the best chance to win.

• This isn’t little league, or a developmental league. The High School League puts their best players out there to win. Period. If a kid wants to play, that kid has to be better than the others.

• I think the one of the key phrases in your comment is “All those boys put their heart and soul…..”. There are quite a few boys that do not do that. The players are required to lift weights and run all summer long at the school during a time period when the coaches are there. You would be amazed at how many show up here and there expecting to see the same results the players who show up everyday see. You would be amazed at how many are in the weight room for the lifting part, and mysteriously disapear when it comes to running in 90 degree weather. Quite a few gave up their “chance” at practice. I feel for the boys on the sideline also, but we need to look at the big picture and make sure we do not accuse the coaches of the players’ problems. My son works his rear end off all summer and actually received an award from the coaches for his hard work, however he was on the field very little for Varsity games this year. He is a sophomore, which quite a few of the ones on the sideline are. Life lesson learned for him – 1. You don’t always get instant gratification, hopefully next year will get better. Go Eagles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• We had that going on about 25 years ago when we barely had enough players to field a team. A lot of guys played both ways and were worn out by the end of the game.

The team is winning (in part) because there are enough kids to play both sides and they have to compete to earn a spot. Fortunately, this isnt’ little league where every kid on the team gets a trophy. The coach plays the kids that give him the best chance to win.

If he didn’t, we might not be enjoying the teams sucsess today

• This is exactly the kind of nonsense that has taken over our school system. A crazy idea that we will all perform at high levels and that no one will stand out so that we can all shine. What a disservice to our kids. The real world has overachievers and under achievers. Get used to it and work hard to make sure you end up on the right side of the equation.

• Jeff Peterson says:

Tom,

What? Your post was a little weird to interpret.. Could you elaborate?

• It’s the pervasive mentality that all the kids are the same. C C Resident feels all players should play regardless of their talent or work ethic. It’s the same in the school system. Kids that work hard get the same grades as those who do little or no work . No one fails because you can keep taking tests until you get it right in the Clarke County schools. The whole idea leaves kids on their heels when they go to college where, if you fail to hand in an assignment on time or fail a test, there are consequences.
          Same idea with a sports team. Practice hard, prepare and you will succeed over those who do not. The idea that everyone should get equal time is ridiculous.

• CC Resident says:

That is not what I am saying at all. I feel that teamwork needs to be taught. If you must know, when my son played sports he gave everything he had and participated in all the weight lifting, running through the summer, the summer camp that took them away for a week, etc. All through high school he did not quit that heart and soul effort. How much did he play – very little. He did not letter until his senior year, the last quarter of the last game. Did he play just as well as some on the field, yes he did and was told that he did. When he was in the game he sacked the quarterback several times and was pulled right afterwards. I know that all don’t put forth the effort that some do and I know this isn’t Little League anymore but when you see at practice even some of the first string not putting their heart into it because they know they are going to play one way or the other, then something is wrong with that picture. I commend the coaches because they do alot for these kids, but I am talking teaching teamwork instead of individualism. By the way, congratulations to Ron Anderson and the rest of the boys that made the 1st and 2nd teams offense and defense and to Coach Parker for Coach of the Year.

7. I know I’m going to get it for this but….. If all the boys were allowed equal playing time there would not have been a celebration friday night. Teamwork can be taught in middle school and rec league. We are “playing to win” and no matter how much heart and practice you put in, you can’t teach talent. As far as professional sports, they are all drafted to do what they do, the bests of the bests, so of course they play.

8. dmaxnjackson says:

It doesnt matter, [redacted] will get to the playoffs, and blow it like he always does.An by the way, I do not have a kid on this team, or any other CCHS team. Just a fan who goes there every week to see the kids(playing, or on sidelines) bust their [redacted] for the love of the game. I wish them all the best in the playoffs, lets take it to the next level kids.

9. It’s heartwarming to know that some of these guys carried Aaron in their hearts throughout this entire season and every game.

10. upeoplecrackmeup says:

Congratulations on taking the article which was celebrating another district championship (4 in a row)to the unrealistic idea that everyone needs to play the same amount of time. It should be a celebration on what the football program has accomplished over the past 4 years. Not to mention the volleyball team advancing to the state tournament for the first time in school history! People need to pat these kids(starters and non starters) and staff on the back and tell them congratualtions and they are appreciated! This website has good intentions (I think) and every program at the high school deserves to be recoginized for the great things that they accomplish. I just wish the CDN would just report the news and not allow this type of jawing back and forth. I have fallen in the trap and I’m not proud of it. Why do we have to stoop down to the other local papers etc. etc.???

For example-if the coaches played everyone the same amount of time and the team was 1-9 instead of 9-1 how this thread would be twisted. People would be calling for the coaches to be fired! We all know it. “U people Crack Me Up”

• Curious one..... says:

I agree 100%

Once you step foot on the field of play, its the coaches decision as to who plays. The better kids play. Period… Its been that way since sports were invented. Problem today is the parents… They feel everyone needs to play even if their kid isn’t the best option. Well my friend, sports don’t work that way. If you can’t handle that, make your kid stay home and play chess with you…..

• ccspectator says:

No one thinks that all the boys should get equal playing time – this is high school ball and it SHOULD be competitive and the players SHOULD earn their spots. But to believe that’s how it works is a fantasy.

There are some boys who don’t put their heart into it, of course. And some starters who have been handed positions as freshmen, for whatever reason, and never have to work to keep them. Just as there are boys on the sidelines who play hard every day and show up for workouts because they HAVE to prove themselves. Unfortunately no matter how hard they try they will continue to stand on the sidelines.

There is no reason that they can’t have an offense and a defense. Do you really believe that none of the boys who show up and put their heart and soul into every practice and workout are capable of playing, and maybe even better because they want it more? If its true that only a few players are good enough to play, then that says something about the coaching. They can’t take any of those boys on the sides who have the desire and make better players out of them? Maybe the coaches should start coaching those boys, starting when they are freshmen, instead of waiting til the end of the game, when they throw in whoever happens to be standing nearby.

• Curious one..... says:

Not how it works CCSpectator. Don’t blame the coach because YOUR boy gets no playing time… In sports at this level, its about winning. Whoever gives you the best chance to do just that, plays…

• Bill Thomas says:

There’s some disgruntled parents here I see. Coaches play whoever gives them the best chance to win- it’s as simple as that. If you’re not playing you’re not good enough and that’s tough to hear. It’s a valuable lesson to learn especially as kids enter the job market where there’s even more competition.

• CC Resident says:

You have caught exactly what I am trying to get across. It is a sad thing to say but having been a CC resident for almost 40 years and having had four children graduate from CC, I have seen this throughout that, not saying all kids have equal playing time, but that all kids could be taught a position to play so that you can have an offense, defense, special teams so that more than a few can shine. People are missing the point. You can probably put a bet on many who make the comment about the best players, etc., have had children or have children now that don’t stand on that sideline.

As far as winning – there again – I hope I have taught my children that everything is not about winning. Life is not about winning.

11. CCHS Parent says:

Bottom line is, the coaches know who wants to play and who is there because their parents push them to be there. My son is a junior this year, got very little playing time last year. He stepped up to the plate over the summer and showed the coaches what he could do. At games stood by the coaches to show him he was there when they needed him. If you want to play you have to go above and beyond to get there. And like other posts have said when it is time to run and do what needs to be done dont disappear. The coaches have been AWESOME this year and have given opportunities where they are deserved.