County Employee’s to Receive $500 August Bump

Clarke County employees may see an extra $500 in their paychecks next month thanks to a one-time bonus payment expected for approval by the Clarke County Board of Supervisors in August.

A July 5th memorandum from County Administrator David Ash requesting authorization by the Clarke County Board of Supervisors for $35,716 in “one-time employee payment” will be considered by the Supervisors finance committee with a recommendation for the full board’s consideration in August.

The bonus payment request, included in the supervisors July 14 consent agenda, was deferred for consideration until the next regular meeting in August. If approved, the request will provide Ash with authorization to distribute $500 to each full-time employee on the general government payroll on August 1, 2011 and to permanent part-time employees working an average of 30 hours or more per week as general government employees as of August 1, 2011.

Part-time employees who regularly work reduced hours to cover positions normally covered by full-time employees, as well as full-time employees not qualifying for the $500 distribution – employees that have received promotions or increases in compensation since January 1, 2010 – will receive a one-time payment of $100.

Contract, seasonal, and casual employees working on specific projects or activities with limited duration are not included in the bonus payout which will be disbursed, along with employee’s regular pay, in August.

Consideration of a county employee payment was spurred as a parity offering when the Clarke County School Board pushed forward with a one-time bonus payment to school staff using carryover budget funds against the advice of the Board of Supervisors.

At today’s Board of Supervisors meeting Clarke County School Board chairman Barabara Lee (Millwood) thanked the Supervisors for approving the School Board’s bonus payment request.

“Everyone in the school division from the custodian through the very top received $446” Lee said. “We are very appreciative of your support.”

CDN Editor: An earlier version of this story incorrectly stated that the county employee pay bonus had already been approved. CDN apologizes for the error.

Comments

1. Michael Hobert says:

Correction. The item was pulled from the “Consent Agenda” and referred to the Finance Committee for review and recommendation to the Board at its August meeting. The Committee did not meet in July and therefore did not review the County Administrator’s recommendation.

2. Hmmm... says:

Still…the county administrator didn’t have to write a letter, like some sick modern-day “Oliver Twist,” stating that he knew of no better use for the money, that 2013 will be brutal, etc., like the School Board did. I’m glad the county employees are gettin something, just like the school folks did…but…how hypocritical and galling. November can’t come quick enough.

3. livein22611 says:

Is anybody running against any of these yahoo’s? We can’t have change if there is no new candidates to vote for!
    And the only reason the county people are getting anything, if they actually do, is because the school’s went through with their bonuses. I heard a rumor the county people were only going to get gift cards to Wal-Mart or somewhere until the school’s did a cash bonus.

4. GOPjunky says:

So as a county employee who hasn’t received a raise in 4 years I would like to say thank you for the $500.00 one time payment that amounts to a $125.00 a year raise which is 003% for me.

Thank God my wife has a good paying job maybe someday i’ll get one… Cut one less check for me obviously the county needs it more than I do. But I would sincerely like to thank you for the continued humiliation…

• 4 years without a raise and you’re still there? Quit whining or find another job. Obviously you’re not there for the $$

• GOPjunky says:

Well it seems that easy doesn’t it? I like my job, I like my bosses so it makes it difficult to make a decision like that. There does become a time where that is a real possibility though.

Even if other places aren’t getting raises, what we find is that their salaries are much higher than ours. It’s like getting a raise by going to work there.

I appreciate your directness, really I do.. It will be a shame if Clarke were to loose allot of employees. Clarke has allot of good people working for it that have proven they are not all about the cash, but with that said enough is enough…

• Naked Truth says:

Yeah, no kidding. Maybe GOP would rather receive a pink slip than the one-time bonus. Most of us haven’t received anything in five years. Stop whining.

5. GOPjunky says:

If your going to give me a thumbs down at least say why.. I would love to hear your point of view…

6. ADollarShort says:

Those supervisors are something. All the county teachers haven’t had a raise either. They don’t get any overtime or comp time. They only got 400 dollar one time somethings. Guess the supervisors had to just put them down one more way.

7. another view says:

I can understand the frustration of county and school employees about not having a raise. But compared to many in our community they should considered themselves somewhat fortunate. Unemployeed for over a year I am now making 1/2 the money I did 4 years ago, yet as a taxpayer I continue to see my local taxes go up.

Be thankful.