Darren Young Added to CCPS Administrative Team

Image courtesy of CCPS

D. G. Cooley Elementary School and Berryville Primary have announced the addition of Mr. Darren Young to the CCPS administrative team.   Mr. Young has been appointed as Assistant Principal for the Berryville Primary and the D. G. Cooley campuses. He has been a member of the school system for the past nine years, teaching fourth and fifth grade in Clarke County Public Schools. Prior to that, he taught school for several years with the Battle Creek Public Schools in Michigan.   He has a Masters degree in Administration from Shenandoah University and a Bachelors in Education from Slippery Rock University. Mr. Young is an avid sports fine and enjoys spending time with his family. He resides in Winchester, Va.

Mr. Young shared the following when asked about his new leadership position… “I am excited about this opportunity and look forward to working with the wonderful children and families of Clarke County.”

Comments

1. Jim Gibson says:

Congratulations, Mr. Young! My child thoroughly enjoyed your class several years ago. Looks like CCPS got this one right!

2. Cat in the Hat says:

Finally! The school system makes a smart choice! Mr. Young is the ideal person for the position of Assistant Principal! He is truly a honest, sincere teacher who made a difference in our child’s education and I know he will fill the assistant principal shoes with tact, dignity and poise! He is an amazing teacher who will be missed but I am glad to see he will be leading the way for other teachers.

Congratulations Mr. Young! We are so happy for you!!!

3. The Clarke school system continues be “top heavy”. We need educators, not administrators.

• livein22611 says:

Do you have a clue what you’re talking about? I don’t think you do. With one principal for Primary and Cooley they need assistants at each school for the day to day operations. Or do you think one of the overworked teachers should do it? Stop preaching the same old message and update your information.
      Way to go, Mr Young!!

• Then they don’t need 1 principal over both schools. They need a principal for each school, just like it always was. Do you really need 2 principals for primary, K- 1st graders? Give me a break. As a tax payer in this county, I disagree with this approach. Add more teachers to each school, or teaching assistants. Smaller classes maybe, more oversight in the classes, less problems. We need educators, not administrators. Not taking anything against this guy. I feel he should be a principal. The guy they put in charge, not a big fan.

Yes, I have a clue as to what I’m writing about. You madam, just don’t get it.

• Travis Goodwin says:

I agree with you, sid, that the new principal is a questionable choice. But, with Mr. Young there as a solid AP, here’s hopin that makes a difference.

4. Larry W. Brooks says:

Congratulations, Darren. You are an excellent choice.

5. Tricia Ramey says:

Congratulations Mr Young!! I wish I had kids going through Cooley still. Cooley and Primary are very lucky to have you!! Best of luck to you!!

6. Roscoe Evans says:

Darren’s an educator, sid. I don’t see how you missed that. Now he’s an administrator, too, and he will be one of the best. Clarke County is getting more than it’s money’s worth with this guy.

Enjoy yourself, Darren. You’ve earned it.

7. Congratulations Mr.Young I know how long you’ve been working at this. I remember when I was in 4th grade you talked to my mom about it. Now I’m going into 10th. Congrats!

8. Questioning? says:

What happened to Mr. Carter?

• Smellin roses says:

He’s gonna be the AP @ the Cooley campus.

To “sid” – I agree that the Primary AP position, or more specifically the funding to support it, could have been funneled into a classroom position, perhaps. But, having an administrator at each site, so that the new principal can coordinate the planning of the move to the current CCHS site, and other such things, is not such a bad need. God knows the one selected to be principal is going to need all the help he can get.

9. Roscoe Evans says:

I find these negative comments about the new Cooley principal to be off-putting and offensive, especially since they come with no specific, good faith criticisms. If there is something that bothers you about the man’s professional demeanor, out with it, and give him and his supporters the opportunity to discuss and dispense with what you have to say. Cheap sniggers and gossip are meaningless, and your status as a tax payer doesn’t strengthen your comments or elevate what you say to the status of an intellectual argument. You’re being juvenile.

Meanwhile, Darren and Griff have the support of their teaching staff, and they will be strong leaders for the Clarke education system. Try to support them.

10. Dapper Dan Man says:

Who’s gonna be the new AP @ Boyce now that Amy Larrick has left for that Frederick County school?

• Summertime says:

The agenda item ( see BoardDocs) for her replacement appears confusing. It seems as if the Board is going to go the cheap route and divy up the duties or perhaps promote from within. In any case, Boyce parents should have a say….go the the SB meeting Monday!