Early Morning Fire Leaves Family of Six Homeless

An early morning fire Monday destroyed a house outside White Post and displaced six people. Residents believe the fire broke out around 6:00AM. The father of the household was working in a nearby dairy barn when he saw the flames and went running back to his house. Occupants of the home and nearby residents called 911 and units from Boyce were dispatched to 309 Hickory Lane. Crews found the house engulfed in flames. Additional units were brought in from nearby stations, but the house was a complete loss. Fortunately, all members of the household were able to safely evacuate and no one was injured.   The family of six however, has lost everything and is homeless with only the clothes on their backs.

The community has rallied and reached out to support the family. Local Red Cross disaster relief officials, Sheryl Reid and Bonnie Jacobs,  were immediately on site and began providing support to the family. Beth Dowling from the Clarke County school system provided Spanish  translation services  for the Red Cross and assisted the family with obtaining basic necessities. Local merchants also chipped in support as Dunkin Donuts in Waterloo provided free breakfast to all of the family members and McDonalds provided free lunch.

Red Cross Disaster Relief   has provided temporary shelter at a local hotel and is providing emergency funds for clothing and other basic needs for the family.

Since the family is without a permanent residence, donations in support of the family at this time should be limited to gift cards. Anyone interested in providing assistance for the family may contact the School Counselor at Boyce Elementary, Robyn Harrison-Taft at 955-6115.