Crews from Blue Ridge Fire Company and John H. Enders Fire & Rescue responded to a reported chimney fire on River Park Lane last night at approximately 10:00PM. Engine companies 8, 1, and 21 responded as well as Rescue Co. 1. The fire was contained in the chimney and did not spread into the house. Firefighters removed the fire from the stove and extinguished the fire in the chimney. There were no injuries and the family was able to return to their residence.
Fire officials remind residents to use appropriate cautions when using fireplaces and wood stoves this season. Heating fires account for 36% of residential home fires in rural areas every year. Often these fires are due to creosote buildup in chimneys and stovepipes. All home heating systems require regular maintenance to function safely and efficiently.
Fireplace and Home Fire Safety Tips From The United States Fire Administration:
Keep Fireplaces and Wood Stoves Clean
- Have your chimney or wood stove inspected and cleaned annually by a certified chimney specialist.
- Clear the area around the hearth of debris, decorations and flammable materials.
- Leave glass doors open while burning a fire. Leaving the doors open ensures that the fire receives enough air to ensure complete combustion and keeps creosote from building up in the chimney.
- Close glass doors when the fire is out to keep air from the chimney opening from getting into the room. Most glass fireplace doors have a metal mesh screen which should be closed when the glass doors are open. This mesh screen helps keep embers from getting out of the fireplace area.
- Always use a metal mesh screen with fireplaces that do not have a glass fireplace door.
- Install stovepipe thermometers to help monitor flue temperatures.
- Keep air inlets on wood stoves open, and never restrict air supply to fireplaces. Otherwise you may cause creosote buildup that could lead to a chimney fire.
- Use fire-resistant materials on walls around wood stoves.
For more information visit: http://www.usfa.dhs.gov