Letter to the Editor: Clarke County Band Association Fund Raiser Denied

I am the secretary of the Clarke County High School Band Association (CCBA).

On September 1st our CCHS Eagle Logo magnet sales at home football games was not approved because the Eagles Athletic Association (EAA) is also selling magnets.

Clarke Daily News - Opinion & Editorial

This denial is unfair and unwarranted.

We have been selling our logo magnets at the home football games for the past two years. It’s not clear why magnet sales by two different CCHS fund raising organizations cannot be conducted at the same time.

It is my understanding there are two different CCHS organizations currently selling T-shirts at the games.

Unlike the EAA, the CCBA does not have very many opportunities in the way of fund raisers. From our perspective, the EAA has many higher volume sales opportunities including game ticket sales and the concession stand.

We strongly feel that our magnet sales would have little impact on EAA sales, and that both organizations can profit from the good will of Clarke supporters.

Louise Hall

Comments

1. I’m afraid there has been some misinformation communicated regarding the EAA. We do not have magnets for sale and as long as I’ve been involved never have. We have,in the past, given away a FREE magnet that states “EAA Member” when our annual dues of $5 are paid to our organization.

• this whole voting thing is stupid. if someone is just clarifying information why would someone vote it down? GAL people.

• I would call this a conflict of interest. How can you speak for EAA and hold office with CCEF? You should step down from one of them, because this is a serious conflict.

• RW
        Me thinkst you have a loose screw…
        what do you have against a person that raises money for two different associations that both benefit school kids?

Should I not work concessions at JWMS and CCHS games monies go to different places?

• Just sayin says:

Wow…you STILL have that ax to grind? While no human is perfect, the current ED of the CCEF expends a lot of energy promoting the Clarke schools – academics, athletics, the arts, etc. You seriously need to switch to decaf, or hang out with those [redacted] @ WMP.

• Cathy Dickey says:

I’d like to know how Right Winger feels this is a conflict of interest….isn’t being an involved citizen everyone’s right? How exactly does it conflict? The CCEF has a board that votes on monies spent…one person has no say just as the EAA operates as a whole…one person does not decide anything.

2. Fact Checker says:

Still begs the question- Why deny the selling of band magnets when there isn’t even a competition? Doesn’t the band contribute to the overall game expeience? In my opinion, the CCHS Band is one of the most under appreciated assets of this county.

• I would love to call the band “underappreciated” but I feel they barely meet their obligation. Its hard for me as a supporter of the football team to root for our marching eagles when they leave after the third quarter of the game. Traveling with the team and watching other bands, even the hedgesville band that traveled here, have obvious good leadership. They stay the entire game, do a good job of assisting the cheerleaders in getting the crowd motivated, and most importantly do NOT play while our team is on offensie (when we have the ball). When we are on defense (other team has the ball) by all means blow your horns loud and proud! It comes down to leadership and if your not supporting the team during the game, why should the team help support your finances?? Just a thought..

3. For most readers the above letter does not provide one key point of information: Who, as in what entity, issued the denial of the CCBA’s request?

• Louise Hall says:

The proper fund raising request forms required by CCHS were filed with the school administration. The CCBA President received an email response from the deciding officials denying our request. The response stated that the EAA was already selling magnets. I DID NOT want to name names in this forum.

• I understand your concern over naming the entities involved, but truth be told the EAA’s name is front and center. As a casual reader who really has no dog in this hunt, the general impression is that the EAA is the villain. Your reply clarifies one thing: The CCHS administration issued the denial.

Thank you for your response, but it does beg for a question. If you didn’t want to name names, why was the EAA moniker prominently mentioned?

Not incidentally, based on what I have read Mr. Werner should reconsider the request, or at least provide a valid reason for the denial.

• Louise Hall says:

The EAA is not the villain, and I’m not trying to imply that the EAA was responsible in ANY way. I felt that since the EAA is an organization and not an individual I didn’t feel I was singling out a specific individual as the responsible party. All I did was state the reason given to the CCBA why our request was denied. I have contacted the powers that be regarding their denial of our fund raising effort but have as yet not heard from them.

• Don Specht says:

I understand and agree. I apologize to you and to Mr. Werner for personalizing the discussion.

4. Let’s do a bit of fact checking:

Louise Hall writes, “From our perspective, the EAA has many higher volume sales opportunities including game ticket sales and the concession stand.”

Does the EAA get a cut of game ticket sales?

• Of course they do. They man the ticket booths and the concession stands. DECA sells t-shirts and other stuff. The band gets scraps, and only after they fight for it. But you know what’s really funny? If the band isn’t there for the game, EVERYONE asks “Where’s the band?”

But you gotta love those new football jerseys.

• Don Specht says:

RW writes: “Of course they do. They man the ticket booths and the concession stands.”

The ticket takers receive a flat fee which is then awarded to a school group of their choice. They don’t get a cut of the gate receipts.

What part of that paragraph is incorrect?

So does the EAA hold a monopoly on ticket taking?

• The ticket booths at football games and baseball games are run by the Football Mom’s and have been for quite some time. Any club, ANY club, athletic or otherwise can request to run the booths for any sports season, basketball has in the past been done by soccer and I believe a few non-athletic clubs. If I’m not mistaken, the band has in the past run the some of these booths. It can be a huge responsibility for the group, or person within the group, to make sure that these gates are manned at each and every home event.

By the way, your not the first group to be denied the opportunity to sell an item because it conflicts with another groups item. The football team, yes the FOOTBALL team, has, in the past, been denied the opportunity to sell t-shirts and sweatshirts at home basketball games.

I think that as long as the item you are selling is in support of your group, ex. a magnet that says Clarke Co. Band, or basketball, football, whatever then you should be able to sell them at the same events. EAA should be able to sell the generic CC stuff. Of course then you have DECA……..

• I want to clarify that is was NOT the EAA that denied the football team the opportunity to sell their stuff at basketball games. You might want to check and see who else is selling magnets……

5. This is silly, unless the magnets look identical or do not mention and and could be mistaken for athletic support, let them sell the magnets. The band members and the families come out and support their children who preform during the game just as the athletic players perform.

Bad decision by whoever…

6. Sandra Stickovitch says:

CCHS should support both groups. EAA receives a lot of opportunities to receive funds from many fundraisers including the well attended Berryville Bluegrass Concert series. You’d think the HS officials would allow this request seeing as the band does not have access to such a big fundraiser as the concert series.

That’s a shame for the band. Mrs. Hall, may I suggest partnering with local businesses in the community to sell your magnets at. Also, try to set up at the Farmers market one Saturday morning. The market ends at the end of October. Have some of band members play for the customers and offer the magnets for sale. Just a suggestion.

I wish you and the band members luck with your fundraising efforts. The band deserves the same opportunities as the other programs in the school.

• Naked Truth says:

Welcome to Clarke County. Have you not been to any School Board meetings? It seems the concerned parents are only concerned about the sport programs. I have never heard anyone concerned about band. You are right about the Bluegrass profitting the EAA. You’d think that since it is for the same school , they would allow all groups to raise funds at any school function.
      The band is a part of football season too! There are many proud parents of band students that come to the games to see their children. Heck, I want a band magnet now!

• The Bluegrass Series was done SPECIFICALLY for the EAA by the Jurney’s. Good for them!

However, without the band, there would be no school musical, and no halftime show at football games. How often have you seen the pep band at basketball games in the last few years? Have you ever wondered why? It depends on who you ask.

7. I can actually speak my mind now my kids are no longer at Clarke Schools. EAA is solely based on the good ole boy network and if you and your children are not a part of that network then your children loose.

I commend you for bringing up the topic of the EAA not wanting to sell band magnets. Fight the fight and some day maybe the good ole boy network might be kicked out to pasture.

• Don Specht says:

T T writes: “I commend you for bringing up the topic of the EAA not wanting to sell band magnets.”

What part of Louise Hall’s letter said that?

There is a lot of misinformation in this comment thread: The EAA is selling magnets, the EAA benefits from game ticket sales, the EAA does not want the CCBA to sell magnets …

But the EAA is not the villain, right?

• You are right…good ole boy network all the way. Funny how girls volleyball never got new equipment or uniforms for many years…until a certain athletic director’s daughter made the team. Wouldn’t you know, they got all they needed and wanted then!

• and they were the ugliest things I have ever seen flames… really…

• just not a fan says:

Something is better then nothing “hoops fan”… but I guess you were one of those who would have rather the girls run around in spandex showing off everything to the world. Atleast what they got covered them. That was the whole issue, if the uniform would have been spandex no one whold have complained…

• Casey Childs is the Athletic Director and he doesn’t have a daughter….Just sayin!

• Bottom line,this old “new uniform” Ad daughter comment is really not true. As well as getting new eqipment because of AD daughter on team,not true either. No cuts were made for AD’s daughter to be on team either. I simply cannot believe that this stuff is still going around. Every year all TEAMS need and ask for replacement equipment. You get some and some you do not. Uniforms wear out,footballs wear out,volleyballs wear out. Yes,football does bring in the most money for the sports programs. Example.Just look at the largey popular “Friday Night Lights” tv show(hope I got that name right) which is pretty much based around football. Yes,Football does get the lion share.Just plain facts. Truthfully most parents want to watch their child play and are proud of them for putting forth an effort to be on a team. Most parents do not get into the “where’s and whys” of new equipment,they just want to see the kids play. All of this is years old and I imagine that AD’s daughter has graduated from college and gone on to more important aspects of her life. Still it must hurt to hear all the old complaints brought back to life. Nevertheless that child was really hurt and had no recourse to fight back. You want a great sports program? Clarke County has one.Let us stick to that and fight for that instead of hurting children because of the parents job.

8. As a former student who played sports (not football or boys basketball), we were told time and time again when we asked the question “Why can’t we have new uniforms”, that, “Your sport does not bring in enough revenue to buy new uniforms.” We were told we needed to raise our own money to do so. If this is still the case, as I assume it is, shame on CCHS admin for not allowing the band to try and raise money. More than likely that is the ONLY way they will acquire funds.

P.S.- We ended up purchasing our own uniforms with our parents money, as our 10 year old stretched out uniforms were no longer wearable…literally.

• Perhaps it’s time to start a Title 9 type movement at the HS level. ALL of the groups should benefit, not just a select few because they have a huge revenue stream or have a parent in the admin.

• Title 9 … So you think this an issue of discrimination of female athletes?

To what “select few” are you referring? The Athletic Department?

Do you want the EAA’s fundraising efforts to be reappropriated to entities outside athletics?

Is this “parent in admin” relevant to this discussion?

Explain yourself.

• Ugh, no.

The “parent in admin” refers to the fact that new uniforms for girls volleyball weren’t purchased until a child of one of those admins joined the team.

As for the Title 9 reference, I specifically said a “Title 9 TYPE” of movement, not discrimination based on sex. This is more discrimination based on sport/activity.

• Don Specht says:

“The gate receipts for all games should be used to fund ALL athletic/extracurricular needs.”

Redistribution of wealth … Quaint, especially for someone who claims to walk on the right side of the political fence. No, quaint’s not the right term… You are proposing a tectonic shift. Does that mean that gate receipts for something like a play or musical event should also contribute to this funding pool?

“The ‘parent in admin’ refers to the fact that new uniforms for girls volleyball weren’t purchased until a child of one of those admins joined the team.”

You didn’t answer my question. Why is that relevant to the CCBA’s fundraising effort, especially since it was several years ago?

“EAA’s funds are their own to do with what they please. However, shutting other groups fundraising efforts by hiding behind the admin is not cool.”

So you are accusing the Eagles Athletic Association for being puppet masters to the hs administration. [redacted].

There is no discrimination. There is only you, stirring the pot and fanning the flames. Time wounds all heels, you know.

• Didn’t know the volleyball uniform thing was several years ago, it was just brought up in this thread, so I wrongly assumed that it was recent.

This was all brought up because an injustice was perceived. From what I’ve heard, the band finally is allowed to do some kind of fundraising at the football games. It’s a shame they even had to make this public, but at least something got done!

That’s what stirring the pot does, it causes people to act.

BTW, the money that is collected for the play/musical pays for all their stuff they need to put on the production. They don’t get the stipends that the football team receives. And when was the last time you paid to see the band concerts at CCPS? They are always free, because sadly, the only folks that would show up would be the parents.

• One more thing, Don. You’ve known me long enough that it’s not a GOP thing with me, it’s doing what’s right. I have evolved a bit, my friend!

• Fly on the wall says:

You, sir, really like makin incendiary remarks with little to no substance to them. It’s pretty clear you are bitter about a great many things. Sad, really.

9. CCHS Parent says:

I wish someone from the EAA would address this, as the EAA provides support for ALOT of activities not just football!! Parents and Supporters of Football work the concessions and gates, it is strictly volunteers and anyone can volunteer. This money supports ALOT more than Football.

As it was stated though, the EAA is not the one that denied the request, it was the school administration!!

• Would you want to play for a group of people that continuously tell you to stop playing because it is perceived as disruptive to the game? Yes, I have witnessed this rude behavior from members of the Football staff on more than one occasion.

You folks are offended they are there and then you are offended if they’re not. Make up your mind.

Imagine how great attending a CCHS game would be if the band were supported by the CCHS Staff and football supporters.

10. CCHS Newbie says:

The band did play Friday night. They work so hard and played their hearts out. It’s the beginning of the season — sorry if they weren’t quite good enough for you, CCHS Parent. I think they’re terrific.

The football team works so hard and does great, too.

We should support ALL our kids. Just let the band sell their magnets.

Sheesh.

• CCHS Parent says:

I did NOT say the band did not play, nor did I say anything about them not being good. I heard them at half time and they are great. I never said that at all, did I? I just asked why they weren’t playing like the other teams band was playing.

I agree we should support ALL our kids. My point was that the EAA is being slated as the bad guys, when they support so much more than football.

• CCHS Newbie says:

Oh, good. I’m glad you thought our band was great, too. These comments you made seemed to imply that you were criticizing our school’s band: “I was at the football game on Friday night and the other teams band was playing alot during plays and where was our band? Didn’t hear anything from them. The other team was playing as they left the field, where was our band? Didn’t hear anything from them.”

I’m glad you clarified that you think our band is good. We need to remember that we’re all Eagles and should support the endeavors of all our students. I’m so glad we’re in agreement on this.

11. CCHS supporter says:

Just to clarify a few things:

2.) Yes, there is a ‘pay-out’ from each gate. However the person working the gate does not get that money, nor is it an hourly rate. Working the gate is like a fundraiser for individual sports teams/groups. For example, this year the track team volunteered to work the gate for all home football games. That means that the parents of the track team are required to volunteer to work the gate. At the end of the season Athletics deposits a set amount of money for each gate worked into the Track teams account.

3.) As for the uniform issue brought up that occurred several years ago- I of course can not speak on what happened back then, because I was not around. However, in the short time that I have been around CCHS, I have never known the EAA to turn down ANY request for new uniforms, equipment, or ANYTHING, if the request was warranted and the funds were available.

• “….At the end of the season Athletics deposits a set amount of money for each gate worked into the Track teams account…..”

Tell them what the amount is. Then divide that amount by the number of man hours required to work the gates, and you’ll see why it’s a paltry sum at best.

• What is your point?

In my 22 years at CCHS the policy was that staff members would volunteer to work the gate and they were paid for it. Never once did I hear anyone griping because the sum was paltry. Now the money is channeled differently, and imho it seems the change is a good one.

How would you do it differently?

• Let’s look at it this way…..

Where do those gate receipts go?

CCHS Parent says “1.) The EAA does not profit from ANY ticket sales at any sporting event. That money goes to the athletic department to pay for things like officials for games, equipment, registration fees, etc- the list goes on and on.”

I can tell you that I know that not one penny goes to the band, who performs their show at halftime and plays at different times in the stands as well. The band is always taken for granted, yet everyone complains if they leave early or aren’t there, or don’t do what they think the band should be doing. You have 2 band directors in charge of almost 80 kids, and they receive a paltry stipend compared to the football team, which has at least 5 coaches receiving stipends to watch over the same number of kids, the head coach receives a stipend larger than what the 2 band directors combined receive. The basketball team has at least 3 coaches receiving stipends and they supervise what, 15 kids? Baseball and softball as well.

The bottom line is that the band asked to do something for fundraising, and the administration denied it until someone had the guts to publicly call them on it. It will be interesting to see how this turns out for the whistle blower.

• Don Specht says:

Fine. You think the CCHS Band is underserved. So do a lot of others, me included. There are better avenues to resolution of this injustice than this forum, and there are better ways of making the point than smearing the EAA as some have done.

Here’s another bottom line:

Louise Hall says:
            September 5, 2010 at 12:00 pm

So now that you’ve finished trying to smear the EAA, allow some clarity on one key point: Do you believe that gate receipts for games is incorrectly appropriated? You seem to know an awful lot about this, so educate the masses. Please.

• Smear the EAA? please. More power to them. I find it sad that we even need organizations like EAA, CCEF, CCCC, etc. because our Board of Stupervisors doesn’t give our schools the money they really need, forcing parents to run around with tin cups in hand.

I know the gate receipts for games are incorrectly appropriated.

• “I know the gate receipts for games are incorrectly appropriated.”

How do you know this? You didn’t know who manned the gates at the
            football games, you didn’t know where the money that was collected
            went. How do you know it is incorrectly appropriated?

• Because I know where it doesn’t go.

• Every small town school in America does it….get over it! Oh and when the tin cup passes by…drop in a few Benjamins. Help the cause!

• I’m usually the one holding the cup.

• CCHS Parent says:

Staff members do not volunteer to do this. It is left up to the parents to volunteer and therefore miss their children playing the game. Football moms are the main people that do this. I don’t know where the track team comes into play.

• CCHS supporter says:

I was using the track team working the gate as an example of how the system works. If the football moms are working the gate then they must have volunteered to do so.

12. CCHS Parent, you must not be doing it right anymore…it is supposed to work like this…if you have a kid on the JV team, work the gate at the Varsity game and vice versa….When i was an employee with the system I was paid to work the gate, then they changed it half way thru my kids time at the HS and then the parents took turns working the gates. A couple of us parents ran ourselves ragged during our kids seasons and the only thanks we got were from the boys and their parents and that was plenty.

On one last note, there is so much misinformation and assumption on this subject it makes my head hurt, but alas, I dont have the time needed to stratighten this mess out….

13. Jerry Boyles says:

Good News. The CCBA WILL be selling magnets at the home football games. Even better, we will be selling 50-50 raffle tickets with a lucky winner at each home game. Buy five tickets and get a FREE magnet.

14. Cathy Dickey says:

Wow…I am saddened by statements made by people who profess to “know” what they are talking about and really what they are saying is completely their own opinion. I have been involved with many organizations over the years that raise money for good causes. EAA is one of them. As far as it being a “good old boy network” well, please show up at the concession stand or an EAA meeting anytime and you’ll see that the folks there want and encourage everyone – including young people – to get involved in whatever way they can. I personally was at MANY meetings of the EAA and NEVER ONCE did I witness any sport refused funding for anything, unless the EAA’s budget didn’t allow the purchase at that time. If that was the case, instructions were given to return once more funds were available, and a specific date was suggested. The folks in EAA and the director and members of the CCEF work many many many hours to make improvements at our schools. The band, like every organization, needs funding. The EAA isn’t somehow taking funding from them, in fact, I’m sure they are behind the band 100%. It’s the administration that denied the request. Of course, now that there has been all this uproar, the denial has been reversed. Let’s all (administration, parents, concerned citizens, EAA members, CCBA members, CCEF members) work together to make our schools the best they can be and quit running down others in the process.

15. We still have yet to hear why the School Administration chose to blame EAA for denying the request.

16. Band Parent says:

Head Coach Boy’s Basketball 3,830.00 12-15/4
    Assistant Coach Boy’s Basketball 2,678.00 12-15/4
    Assistant Coach Boy’s Basketball 2,678.00 12-15/4
    Assistant Coach Boy’s Basketball 2,678.00 12-15/4
    11,864.00 3-4 Students each
    790.00 per student

• A question for Band Parent. Is this any different than any other public school in Virginia?

• Darren "Fly" Lambert says:

Exactly!

• But how many Va schools snuff the fund raising efforts of one group to favor another?

• What does your reply have to do with Band Parent’s message?
            If you have the proof that this snuffing took place why don’t you take your evidence to the superintendent? I’m sure he would meet with you. If you don’t why are you trying to stir up trouble. Why isn’t the band director protesting this? There is a lot of talking here without any proof.

• Mr Mister says:

You should read the title of the editoral. That is what this thread is about.

• The thread title is Letter to the Editor is Clarke County Band Association Fund Raiser Denied

Band Parent’s First Sentence is Fall Football compared to Marching Band

I am interested in what you think the connection is.

• Mr Mister says:

It’s pretty obvious that CCHS has more interest in football then band. That attitude transfers to groups and/or organizations that do not allow others to raise funds at events for bogus reasons. It’s the same school. The other programs get more funding. There are spectators there to see all groups perform (football, band, and cheerleaders). I don’t think people mind the state funding as they are upset with not allowing the same opportunity to raise their own funds. And other groups controlling that outcome.

• Darren "Fly" Lambert says:

Amen! Preach on Fat Jim!

17. george jones says:

Bandparent, your numbers for football players is a little off. The varsity has around 60 kids and the Freshmen team has around 35 or so. That adds up to 90-95 kids. Which equals out to be around $282 per (especially since all stipends took a cut around 2/3 years ago) Your $3,000 per is just a little off.

• Band Parent says:

The numbers were derived from the 2009-2010 Budget for CCHS. It is publicly available, you just have to ask.

18. Time4change says:

That stipend comparison is very interesting. However, at some point would you say that the BAND DIRECTORS also receive a salary to be THE BAND DIRECTORS. Are any of those other coaches hired by the county in their full-time jobs to do the same thing they get a stipend for? I don’t think so. I don’t know why any sport needs a less than 10 students to an adult coach, but that’s not an apples to apples thing for band. That’s just dumb for sports!

• Don Specht says:

[sigh] I was going to stay out of this …

The salary data is public record. I would be surprised if the subsequent analysis – students per position and $ per student were part of that record. I won’t venture into other duties, i.e. scouting, practice planning, etc. because I have no knowledge or experience of other functions to which the extremely competent and professional band staff must attend.

Oh yeah, the football staff is also extremely competent and professional. Beat Cumberland! 🙂

• Band Parent says:

From the CCHS Athletics website and the CCHS Faculty page:

Assistant Freshmen: Matt Ernst Mr. Ernst is a Weight Lifting, P. E., and Drivers Ed teacher at Clarke County High School. He also coaches football and baseball.

Head Freshmen : Jon Novick – Teaches Chemistry, IB Chemistry, and Advanced Chemistry at CCHS

Varsity Assistant-Wide Receiver/Defensive Line: Rick Sjostrom – Not listed on any CCPS website as a Teacher

Varsity Assistant-Offensive line/Defensive line: Andre Kidrick – Attendance / Truant Officer at CCHS

Varsity Assistant-Offensive line/Outside Linebackers: Brent Emmart – Teaches Health, PE, and Weight training at CCHS

Varsity Assistant-Defensive Coordinator: Casey Childs is Clarke County High School’s Athletic Director

Head Varsity: Chris Parker – Teaches Sociology, World History, and World History Honors at CCHS

Marching Band Director: Mark Curry – Teaches Concert Band, Jazz Band, Percussion Ensemble at CCHS and assists Greg Abell with the Middle School Band

Assistant Marching Band Director: Greg Abell – Teaches Concert Band 6,7,8 and Jazz Band 7,8 at JWMS

With the exception of Rick Sjostrom, it looks like everyone already works for CCPS in some capacity and is therefore a salaried teacher.

• Time4change says:

Thank you for your validation of my point. We should expect band directors to direct band, but I bet most chemistry teachers aren’t coaches!

• Band Parent says:

I see your point, but it could also be argued that these teachers are spending extra time after normal school duties to run the various programs, so they should get a stipend. I was merely attempting to show the huge disparity there is for stipends between sports and other extra-curricular activities.

• Darren "Fly" Lambert says:

I’d probably bet there is a huge disparity in the time spent between coaches and the others you are comparing them to…I’d probably be willing to say it isn’t even close!

• Band Parent says:

Funny you should comment. I happen to have a breakdown of what the Band Directors spend the extra time on. This is from last year:

Hours with Students

Indoor Show Design and drill 50+
            Practice Field Maintenance 10
            Prop Building 8
            Pre and post practice hours 151
            Total 291

Grand Total 946

946 hours extra. Per Band Director.

• Pretty impressive….how about the coaches? You seem to have access to alot of information…I’m sure you can whip up something for the entire CCHS coaching staff and their hours. Just post that for me when you get that done! Thanks

• Band Parent says:

Why don’t you ask the coaches to do it. They’re the ones who know how much extra time they put in.

• I thought there was a chance you were keeping a running tally for the coaches….I’ll see if the Athletic Director has time for this project!

• Band Parent says:

My point wasn’t to be nasty about this subject, my point was to open eyes and shed light on a subject that is often ignored. The facts are that stipends for sports are much higher per student participant than other extra-curricular activities.

• I wasn’t being nasty either…I was just stating my opinion that I believe coaches stipends should be more than those of Band directors. Just my opinion….

• Naked Truth says:

FLY just proves the attitude of most people in the county. Sports has more importance than other programs. You know FLY, they do have things called music scholarships too. These directors that you give little importance to are nurturing young talent. It may not be your bag, but it might be someone’s dream. And without guidence and instruction what do you have?

• Never said that what they do wasn’t important…If you read the thread from the start…Band Parent was complaining about the stipends for coaches-vs-those of band directors….and I stated my opinion on it. Who knows my son might one day grow up to play the trombone and receive one of those scholarships…and I would be just as proud— even if it wasn’t a football/baseball/basketball scholarship!

• Band Parent says:

Again, I wasn’t complaining. I was shedding light on the facts.

• 1 more thing you might want to check on your list…..10-12 B-Ball games for the pep band…I’m a season ticket holder and usually sit right on the front row….and I don’t remember seeing the Pep Band at any games last year. Maybe the year before….just sayin!

• Band Parent says:

The info came from the band director, so you can ask him.

• Band Parent says:

I’m curious, why do you believe that coaches stipends should be more than band director’s stipends, or any other extra-curricular stipends for that matter? I’m interested in hearing how you formed your opinion.

My opinion is that they should be equal because a teacher is spending extra time out of their day working with students. It doesn’t matter what the time is spent on, it’s that they are spending it.

• It is my opinion -vs- your opinion…no one wins! I’m out! I hope the band is able to sell their magnets at all sporting events.

• Naked Truth says:

You should have felt that way all along. It’s all the same school.

• Because he likes sports.

• Darren "Fly" Lambert says:

You see “naked truth”… if you know me…(which you must not) you would know if I have an opinion…I’m not afraid to let it be known…this would work well for a lot of other people on this board…including yourself! You see…keeping things in..(like your opinions) can lead to hypertension,depression colitis and many other medical issues! Just sayin! Good day!

• Wait a second, you totally just contradicted yourself there, Darren “Fly” Lambert. This is a forum where people can voice their opinions about certain topics and that is what everyone is doing on here. If people are on here expressing themselves like Naked Truth, how can someone who is doing just that get chastised by you for keeping things in and apparently suffering from many health aliments?

I see from your well thought out & educational hypothesis that you attended Clarke County Public Schools, huh! Lucky for us!

• Darren "Fly" Lambert says:

Can’t anyone read between the lines on this forum?…Let me make it the statement a little more clear for you Ricky….Your opinion is nothing when your hiding behind an alias…Hope this helps!

CCHS—Class of 89…..Lived in the CC all my life Brother and proud of it!

I think I just need to retire from the CDN….

• Jeremy Carter says:

lol..This guy comes on here…and bashes the education at Clarke County Public Schools.

Real intelligent.

Class of ’98 btw. Don’t hurt ’em Fly!

• Go Darren! I agree whole-heartedly! If you’re too scared to post your name, you should keep your “opinion” to yourself.

• Darren "Fly" Lambert says:

Sorry take out the “it”….already making wise-cracks on my education!

• Naked Truth says:

So why is your opinion the only one that counts? Seems like there are others. All I am saying is there are many programs that need extra funding. It’s all the same school. Why not sell all magnets at school functions. Many parents have children in multiple programs. Sports is not the only ticket to higher education. Did you know that studies show that band members score higher in math and sciences. Do you remember the banner in the lunch room? You are what you eat.

• The band hasn’t performed at a basketball game for atleast 2 years. Your
            info is out of date.

• Another band parent says:

Weird–my child is in the CCHS band and played pep tunes for the basketball games last year and has volunteered to do so again this year…

• Time4Change says:

Wow! I think what we see here was the time those band directors use for their constant requests for stipends and extra money. So, they go to swanky dances(gala), play golf(golf tournament), college sporting events, concerts (I want to go see Blueman) and also to amusement parks every year? It doesn’t state that a bunch of that stuff happens during their school day either. They threw in a fundraising event for one of their students who passed and claimed 8 hours to do it. I know lots of people who just do some of that stuff and call it fun and service. They don’t ask to get paid. I can’t even think what the kids would get if some guys who were service minded and had a spirit to volunteer would start being band direcctors. Then the kids might get our money’s worth.

• Band Parent says:

Oh please, hardly any of those hours were during the school day. They don’t get to enjoy the festivities at the gala, they must perform. They were merely making a record of what hours they spent where they were in charge of a group of band kids. They work with 5th through 12th grade band kids every day. That’s four different schools they cover.

Interesting note…have you ever heard about any problems with CCHS students on a band trip getting drunk, mugged, or purchasing false identification?

• What happens at Band Camp stays at Band Camp.

• Sojourner Truth says:

Rick Sjostrom is a speech pathologist for the county.

19. John Q. Public says:

All of the bashing on this thread really needs to stop – regardless of which side of the issue you’ve staked your claim, demeaning the kids and/or the teachers who work with them serves no good purpose and only adds more enmity, hurt feelings, and strife. There was an issue; it’s been resolved; move along.

Folks can debate the merits (or lack thereof) of the band vs. athletics for an eternity, and never the twain shall meet in the middle. It’s great to have the band @ football games to support the team, and they put on a great halftime show. Is it perfect? No, but neither is the football team (if we all would recall that, just a few years ago, our beloved team couldn’t string a season above .500 together for several years).

The band, and its parent supporters, and athletics, with its supporters and the EAA, both afford CCHS students the opportunity to be more connected with their school, to participate in something larger than merely going to class, and become more well-rounded young adults. All of the vitriol, suspicions, and hate spilled on here undermines all of the good found in both of these programs. Here’s hoping that all commenters can refrain from negative attacks, and turn the page. After all..we are ALL Eagles!

20. Is the rule of being a Clarke County Head coach still on the books that one must be a full time salried staff member of one of the Clarke County Schools? That an hourly staff member could not be a head coach due to overtime laws of VA? Also,are not all coaching postions only a yearly contracts and must be reviewed and approved by the school board for each new coaching position? That all coaching positions must be posted yearly? Weren’t these rules meant to be so that teachers and other staff members had the chance to supplement their income if they were qualified to coach a certain position?

21. For What It’s Worth: I was recently told by the CCHS Head Football Coach that EAA handles ALL fundraising activities with regards to CCHS Sports. I still have the email is someone disputes this fact. He stated that anyone wanting to sell ANYTHING at any football game or other event had to go through the EAA. Soooo, its not wrongly blaming the EAA, they are actually the ones controlling it.

• No need to scroll, here’s a quote…

“Fine. You think the CCHS Band is underserved. So do a lot of others, me included. There are better avenues to resolution of this injustice than this forum, and there are better ways of making the point than smearing the EAA as some have done….”

You see, it had to be done this way so a wrong could be righted.

“…Here’s another bottom line:

Louise Hall says:
      September 5, 2010 at 12:00 pm

So now that you’ve finished trying to smear the EAA…”

Now, where’s that crow recipe….

• Don Specht says:

Nice cherry pickin’, new name. Here’s the two key posts in proper sequence.

Now go stir your crow before it burns.

—————–
        Don Specht says:
        September 5, 2010 at 11:34 am

Rating: +10 (from 24 votes)
        Louise Hall says:
        September 5, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Rating: +19 (from 21 votes)

22. Congratulations to the Screamin’ Eagles Marching Band on their First Place finish this weekend!

• Don Specht says:

Looks like CDN needs a stringer for the band competitions. All anybody needs is a basic digital camera and a keyboard …

Good time for a band supporter to step up; I’m certain that Michael & Edward would appreciate the help. 🙂