Letter to the Editor – Northern Shenandoah Valley TEA Party

Dear Virginia Senators:

I am a member of a small local TEA Party.    I would describe our group as a collection of concerned citizens who want to become more involved with our local, State and Federal government.    We share a feeling that our country is moving in the wrong direction.    We believe in American Prosperity, Fiscal Responsibility & Government Accountability.    All of us are proud citizens, who pay our bills & taxes, work in the community and several have served in uniform & sworn an oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States.

Clarke Daily News - Opinion & Editorial

What we are not is – “the Enemy”, “Extremists”, “Terrorist”, “Racist”

Your political party has recently gone on the attack against the “TEA Party”.    I would ask that you help stop this undeserved name-calling.    As a moderate member of the Democrat Party, you should speak out against this type of hate-speech.    It resolves nothing.    We should be able to have a legitimate disagreement on issues or political differences on public policy, without all the ugly rhetoric.

Listed below are examples of what we have seen in the media lately from your political Party.    I don’t believe there has been anything similar from TEA Party groups:

Democratic Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said he hoped the tea party would just fade away, disappear. Obviously Vice President Joe Biden felt the same way, and started the trend of slandering tea partiers by calling them  terrorists  behind closed doors.

Confessed communist Van Jones, who was appointed by President Obama to be a “green jobs czar”, called the TEA party  un-American, and said they were putting a “gun to the head of 310 million people”.

Democratic Representative Maxine Waters, in a public forum, told an audience, “As far as I’m concerned the  TEA party can go to hell!” And now Rev. Jesse Jackson has compared the TEA party to the same  racist  forces that Martin Luther King fought in Alabama!

“Let us all remember who the real enemy is. The  real enemy is the Tea Party  — the Tea Party holds the Congress hostage. They have one goal in mind, and that’s to make President Obama a one-term president,” Democratic Representative Frederica Wilson said at a Miami town hall with constituents.

President Obama’s campaign strategist  David Axelrod  and Democratic Senator John Kerry called the downgrade of U.S. debt “a  TEA Party downgrade.”

The leader of your Party, President Obama, at a memorial service in Tucson, urged civility in political discourse. “At a time when we are far too eager to lay the blame for all that ails the world at the feet of those who happen to think differently than we do, it’s important for us to pause for a moment and make sure that we’re talking with each other in a way that heals, not in a way that wounds.” (Just words for the occasion??)

I hope you make an attempt to have your Party stop this unwarranted verbal attack.    It distracts from getting the business of government accomplished.      Why would you belong to a political party that attempts to divide the citizens with such angry, unfounded hate speech??

Additionally, you should attend a TEA Party event sometime and meet the members.    I think you will be surprised at the patriotic pride and public policy issue orientation of the group.    The TEA Party organizations I have had contact with, would not tolerate a bigot / racist / terrorist / extremist being part of the membership.

Please moderate this harsh Democratic Party tone. Help stop the name calling & get the Federal Government to work.!!!    You have legislative bills that need attention.    Our fiscal situation is dripping in “red ink”, our borders are not secure, government regulations are strangulating small business & corporations.

All Clarke Daily News readers/citizens are invited to participate in upcoming TEA Party events.    Please decide for yourselves what the TEA Party stands for. Come out & meet our small group. Don’t believe the “Hate-Speech” you hear in the media. We are your neighbors.!!

Northern Shenandoah Valley TEA Party (NSV-TP)

Wednesday    September 7, 2011 –  NSV-TP  Members  Meet

@ Greenwood Mill Elem School, 281 Channing Drive, Winc    22602

Refreshments @ 6:30p, Meeting begins at 7:00p

Northern Shenandoah Valley TEA Party (NSV-TP)

Thursday    September 15, 2011 –  NSV-TP  Members  Meet

@ Camino Real Mexican Resturant,    16 Crow Street, Berryville    22611-1328

Refreshments @ 6:30p, Meeting begins at 7:00p

Jay L. Marts

Winchester, Virginia

Comments

1. My 2 Cents says:

I will pass!

2. I’ve got to rotate my tires. Sorry.

3. goodgracious says:

No thanks, I have to watch the lame stream media that night.

4. Roscoe Evans says:

President Obama is the leader of our nation. Perhaps the various self-described Tea Parties can acknowledge that fact. They also seem very reluctant to admit that, at least in 2008, they were in the minority of the electoral population.

Meanwhile, the rest of us, too, work and pay our own way in life. So don’t get all uppity about being responsible adults. And try to respect the flag and the Constitution, instead of wrapping yourself in them.

5. Awesome! Rotate your tires, watch TV, do whatever it is that all the good sheeple do while watching the country go down the toilet. And that’s being caused not only by the current bunch in the White House, but by some republicans as well.

The bottom line is that dems are scared to death of the movement

6. Travis Goodwin says:

Yet, you overlook all of the images of Tea Party rallies across the country where folks attended carrying sock monkeys draped in “Obama” stickers; where members (or candidates like Palin who court your votes) who regularly call him “Socialist” or worse; and there’s a list of really interesting signs and slogans at various Tea Party gatherings around the country over the past few years gathered here:

Including this gem: “If the first amendment doesn’t work, the second will.”
    Or this one: “We Came Unarmed … This Time.”

Some more humorous ones, that reflect rather poorly on groups similar to yours, are seen here:

Yes, you’re our neighbors, but you affliliate with some interesting (and not necessarily in a positive way) folks. Until your group is willing to rise above the rhetoric, your whining about others criticizing you all is just that – grade school whining.

7. Hal Jordan says:

Sarge, your near-obsessive trolling of the web to find quotes and such to support your neo-con machismo is sad.

Yes, the recent comments comparing the Tea Party to a modern-day lynchmob were horribly out of place. VP Biden walked back from and apologized for his remarks where he said that negotiating with TP members was like dealing with terrorists, so that’s a moot issue. There was no such walking back when Rep. Giffords was shot. In fact, there was an awful lot of ink and airtime spent trying to prove that the TP’s (or at least certain that of candidates affiliated with the TP) rhetoric (and use of things like gunsights) was not what led that guy to shoot her and others. But I digress…

The fundamental point is that there is an inexcusable level of hateful speech on ALL sides of the political spectrum. Just because one CAN say something does NOT mean that one SHOULD say something. Too often, folks go for the incendiary soundbyte as opposed to rational debate of issues. In that, there are Tea Partiers just as guilty as folks whose mascots are the donkey or the elephant.

Bush had his flaws, as does Obama. NO human is perfect.

• “The fundamental point is that there is an inexcusable level of hateful speech on ALL sides of the political spectrum.”

You know Hal, I can actualy agree with most of your post. From my side of things, it surely is getting old being called a “racist” for wanting the border to be controlled. And mind you, by “controlled” I don’t mean shutting down immigration completely. I mean come here legally, get a job and speak English. I don’t think it’s too much to ask for the priviledge of living here.

It’s getting old being called a “bigot” for wanting to get a grip on programs like welfare, WIC and food stamps simply because a majority of people on those programs are minorities.

It’s old being called an “islamophobe” (Whatever that is) because, after having spent years in the middle east, I don’t want to see sharia law get a grip in this country. My position is that if you want to live by sharia law, then go back to a country that has it.

It’s definately old being called a “racist” because I oppose Obama’s marxist policies. I can assure you that if the guy were white, brown or purple and initiated the same policies, I’d oppose him or her just the same.

And it’s definately tiring to get called a “terrorist” for wanting the government to get a grip on OUR finances.

I’ll await the examples of things like this going the other way.

8. Gee, this is too easy

Hoffa Threatens GOP At Obama Event: “Take These Son Of Bitches Out”

Teamsters President Jimmy Hoffa had some profane, combative words for Republicans while warming up the crowd for President Obama in Detroit, Michigan on Monday.

“We got to keep an eye on the battle that we face: The war on workers. And you see it everywhere, it is the Tea Party. And you know, there is only one way to beat and win that war. The one thing about working people is we like a good fight. And you know what? They’ve got a war, they got a war with us and there’s only going to be one winner. It’s going to be the workers of Michigan, and America. We’re going to win that war,” Jimmy Hoffa Jr. said to a heavily union crowd.

“President Obama, this is your army. We are ready to march. Let’s take these son of bitches out and give America back to an America where we belong,” Hoffa added.

I won’t hold my breath waiting for the president that called for a “toned down rhetoric” to condem his

9. Who knew Labor Day would be such a bonaza of “toned down rhetoric”?

I wonder who the barbarians are the VP is referring to?

10. If one cannot say good things about Tea Baggers then one shouldn’t speak… So here I go…..

• Ya know, our founding fathers are spinning in their graves right now. Politics today is all about money, controlled by money.

Money needs to be taken out of the picture completely. Put the country first, not some political ideology. This is the United States of America, land of the free, home of the brave. Limit all elected government positions to 2 terms, no special healthcare benefits or retirement benefits. They get what the average government worker gets. Flat tax rates, no cutoffs for SS taxes, no loopholes. Seal and defend our borders properly. Tax imports higher than American Made products.

Fear nobody.

• I agree with most of your post, and while I’d love to put a huge tariff on Chinese goods to balance the equation, there are very few instances today or in history where that has worked.

11. Hate Speech – Any written or verbal communication that disagrees with the Liberal / Socialist agenda or the policies of the Obama Administration.

• Same as the old joke of “What do you call a conservative winning an arguement with liberal?”

A bigot

• Naked Truth says:

Well first of all they would have to win an argument. Shouting someone down is not winning! I’d rather the Tea Party debate than argue.

12. One good thing I can say about the Tea Party is that they are shaking things up. They have both parties scared, yes even the Republicans. I don’t support their extreme stance on all issues. I believe they should compromise like a democracy. They do not represent the majority and are look upon as extremist. The two party system has turned into a joke. Too much finger pointing and blown up campaign promises. Special interest influencing both parties too many times. I would like to see a party for the Independents in the middle. Not one leaning left or right. This is where the majority is.

• Mr. M., please point out 1 extreme stance the Tea Party has.

• Well , I think the Tea Party blaming ALL of the economic downfall on the current administration is extreme. Where were you eight years ago when the Bush administration’s spending was out of control and more than any before? Although I kind of understand the constitution, I also understand that it has been amended a couple of times too. So just shouting that what the founding fathers had written are the only documents to follow, without considering there have and will be changes, in my view is a bit extreme. After all this is not the 18th century anymore. We have advance a little since the signing. If you want what is written, then take the voting rights of women and blacks away. After all that’s what is written.

• “Well , I think the Tea Party blaming ALL of the economic downfall on the current administration is extreme”

And can you cite any examples of where the Tea Party said that? Sure they’ve been blasting Obama for his out of control spending,and rightly so, but I think you’ll find that they were in the cases of Republicans like McCain as well. That’s part of the reason they got the boot in 08, because they were spending like democrats.

Bush and his unfunded Medicare part D comes to mind as an example. But find me an example of the Tea Party saying this was all Obama”s fault

• “Mr. M., please point out 1 stupid stance the Tea Party has.”

Fixed.

• “Mr. M., please point out 1 stupid stance the Tea Party has.”

Fixed.

Evasion. The man asked someone to point out one “extreme” stance of the Tea Party. I realize this might entail actually looking at the Tea Party website, but we’ll await your response

• Not evasion. One man’s extreme is another man’s stupid. I find the Tea Party to be both. Obviously you do not agree, nor do I care.

• Then why oh why do you keep responding?

• Why do you care if I respond? I have the right to speak my mind concerning the Tea Party and I intend to exercise that right.

• You speak your mind, but there isn’t much left of it. All you are saying is uneducated drivel. (Educated folks know both sides of the issues). I am afraid you have spoken your mind away, and are now on the verge of loosing what little you have left. The TEA party is a mixture of independents, republicans and old time democrats that are plain simple folk who know a screwed up government when they see it. You are just a partisan speaking the “newspeak” of the liberal left talking points. Your positions will not change with logical argument or education because you are not interested in learning or education. The good news is that your kind will be in the minority in the foreseeable future. We made a mistake in ’08, and now we, the people, are going to fix that mistake. I hope you like being in the political minority.

• Nice try, Snarky. There’s plenty left of my mind, it’s definitely made up, and you sure as hell didn’t present any logical arguments or education in your petty little set piece that would change it.

I’m just fine being a minority of one. I hope you enjoy your little Party as you destroy what used to be a Grand Old Party.

• No not fixed. CDN did not publish my response. I don’t know why. I do not think I wrote anything offensive.

• From the Teaparty.net site:

The Tea Party movement is a grassroots movement of millions of like-minded Americans from all backgrounds and political parties. Tea Party members share similar core principles supporting the United States Constitution as the Founders intended, such as:
          • Limited federal government
          • Individual freedoms
          • Personal responsibility
          • Free markets
          • Returning political power to the states and the people

I don’t see anything stupid in that list.

• Roscoe Evans says:

The Constitution as the Founders intended?

Who do you think you’re kidding?

The Founders were not saints. They included drunkards and druggies, cowards and dopes. They did not include blacks, because, of course, they did not believe that blacks were fully human.

You Tea Boys want to claim the Constitution as your own, but only the portions and the interpretations that you agree with, i.e. the ones that pretty much were defeated along with the Confederacy. You know. In the War of Northern Aggression, as some of my Clarke colleagues call it still.

You’re especially far off base with your remarks about the delegation of powers between the federal government and the States, RW. The Constitution was drafted to address the problems of government under the original Articles of Confederation and Perpetual Union, which had made government and a national economy unworkable; and the Constitution strengthened the authority of a central federal government. You have heard of George Washington, haven’t you? He was not well regarded for his weak leadership, you know.

We have a history that many of you Tea Boys choose to ignore, and we have courts that interpret the Constitution, which has served this nation well because it has been crafted and amended so as to protect all of us, often against each other.

Your efforts to claim the Constitution as your own are simply inane. You’re just playing politics, and making believe that the wearing of 18th century clothing and flags make you more patriotic than the next guy. They don’t, and you’re not.

Try politics without the slogans and the flags and the costumes. Try politics without the religion and the divisiveness, too. Try politics that does not blame the illegal or the minority or the disabled for your own dissatisfaction. Try politics that solves political problems. Then leave politics out of the rest of your life. You may become a happier man.

• Time4Change says:

They believe that there is no longer a need for air or water pollution controls–because pollution is gone! It has been fixed. Maybe some of them should go eat some fish from the Shenandoah River.

• I’m sorry, that’s a load of crap and you know it. What we don’t think needs to happen is additional regulations like the Obama and leftists want to put in place that will increase the cost of electricity for average people. I’ve been all over this planet and I’m here to tell you we have one of the cleanest countries around. Go take a trip to the former Soviet countries, or China or India (And yes, I’ve been to all three) and then come back and tell me we need more environmental controls. In Hanoi and China, the air is so thick with crud you can taste it when you open your mouth. In Romania , they drive around in POS cars that when they press the gas pedal, belch more black crap inot the air than 30 Expeditions here.

• The Janitor of Delphi says:

Sorry Sarge. One man’s crap is another man’s fertilizer. We have been reminded ad nauseum, of your world experiences (and yes, I have been to all three also, but I do not wear it like a lapel flag pin). Sure, those countries are way behind on pollution control, but there is a reason for it. They do not have functioning environmental regulations with real teeth. Regulation, like in China, is often relegated to the local level where a few Yuan passed under the table results in entire regions covered with emissions that only a Republican could love. Less government, as inconsequential as possible, at its best.

• River rider says:

It is incredible Sarge, that you have been to China, India and the former Soviet republics. You have travelved more than me. I met some Russians in 1993, and they said that many former Soviet citizens were upset with environmental pollution. In Ukraine, there was the catastrophic 1986 Chernobyl nuclear plant meltdown. In Krakow, Poland, there was black grime on historic buildings from air pollution, during communist government control. There is better maintenance of properties in the USA than in communist governments, because individuals own them. The USA was a leader in conservation and set aside Yellowstone National Park in 1872. Rachal Carson’s book, “Silent Spring” was thought provokng. In the 1960’s and 1970’s, American people demanded more environmental regulations. We are better off for them. In 2006, there were many dead fish in the Shenandoah River. We all need clean air and water.

• River rider said, “We all need clean air and water.”

Of course we do, but the current climate in the GOP, thanks to the Tea Party’s strong arm tactics, is to run away from anything that would require galvanizing the populace around anything on the federal level. Rather than big government, they embrace big industry, big agriculture, big pharma … “Let the states do it!” they cry. Fiddlesticks. We the people created the notion of governments for, by, and of the people. The Tea Party types would rather their lives be placed in the hands of the rich and powerful. But they call the Dems sheep. 🙁

13. Let’s not support the Tea Party. Let’s allow the government to continue raising taxes. Let’s allow the government to continue to grow. Are there more government agencies that should be established for the regulation of our lives? Maybe the elections should take place only every 10 years, or 20. Maybe the government should appoint officials rather than even having elections. Most of those in congress are career politicians anyway, who continue to spend taxpayer dollars at such an amazing pace, they need approval from themselves to carry this country deeper and deeper into debt.

For those of you who work and do pay taxes, look at your pay stub from your employer. Look carefully at it. Add up the numbers. Is what you are paying to the governement, fed. state, local, SS, too small? If it is, do not support the Tea Party. And feel free to write a check and send them a bit more. Hey, it’s the Patriotic thing to do.

• “No, the one’s primarily saying not to support the Tea Party are the one’s who now pay next to nothing, and only benefit from those of us who do pay.”

You are not correct. Those who do not support the Tea Party movement are those who get past the rhetoric and see the white, older, monied males as the hypocrites they are. The prime example: The Tea Party supporters desperately want to dismantle those evil entitlement programs, but will yelp even louder if someone wants to take away their Medicare coverage.

• Wrong. There are also young black males that are Tea Party supporters.

“…Those who do not support the Tea Party movement are those who get past the rhetoric and see the white, older, monied males as the hypocrites they are…..”

Sounds like rhetoric to me.

• “….The prime example: The Tea Party supporters desperately want to dismantle those evil entitlement programs, but will yelp even louder if someone wants to take away their Medicare coverage….”

More rhetoric. And again, it’s wrong.

The Tea Party supporters want the entitlement programs to be revamped to cut down the fraud and waste that runs rampant in them.

14. Never 2 Late says:

Good for the Tea Party Movement for shedding light on changes that need to be made within our government. We are going down a sad path as a country. We spend too much and give too much to those who don’t want to work and find it easier to get a free handout. Republicans and Democrates are responsible for the state of our country. (True though that Obama has added more to our debt than any president before.) For your die hard liberals, no need to be so negative. The tea party is not a racist party. There are whites and blacks supporting the movement. You should be thanking them for not being afraid to stand tall for the rights of ALLl Americans and giving it “their all” to help politicians REMEMBER what our country was founded on …before it’s too late.

• Janitor of Delphi says:

Sure, we could do things better. But show up at a rally carrying an AK-47 over your shoulder and you have already lost the debate. This is about our country, not about posing with symbols of dominance. I know a lot of decent people who believe in the Tea Party principals, but if they do not get the rogue faction to give it a rest, they will all be painted with the same brush. I saw a typical sign at a Tea Party rally- ” We came unarmed– This time”. Brilliant- just brilliant.

15. “This is the effort that we are seeing of Jim Crow. Some of these folks in Congress right now would love to see us as second class citizens. Some of them in Congress right now with this Tea Party movement would love to see you and me… hanging on a tree.

The tea party is protecting its millionaire and oil company friends while gutting critical services that they know protect the livelihood of African-Americans, as well as Latinos and other disadvantaged minorities,”

The above comment is from Andre Carson, U.S. Representative for Indiana’s 7th Congressional District, on 28 August 2011. He is a member of the Democrat Party and Black Caucus. He is also the person who made accusations Tea Party members hurled racial slurs during the Health Care protests in March 2010 at the Capitol, but could not back up these false claims.

… and Democrats are the ones demanding civility in politics?

I invite anyone to find any quote from any ‘Tea Party Caucus’ Republican that is as vile as this piece of garbage. Has Rep Carson been censored by the Democrat Party? No. Black Caucus. No. Will he be? Absolutely not. He will probably be given additional seniority.

What a joke.

16. ALL of you on this comment board would fit in perfect IN D.C a lot of talk but no action. Run for office. Everyone of you seem to know it all. Fit the mold for a perfect politican. You seem to have all the answers.

17. I have yet to see any examples of “extreme” Tea Party rethoric.

Bueller?

Bueller?

• Fly on the wall says:

Specifically the little gem from Rep. Peter King:
      “KING: If I could start a country with a bunch of people it would be the folks standing out here the last few days. Let’s hope we don’t have to do that. Let’s beat that other side to a pulp. Let’s take them out, let’s chase them down.”

• Good try, but is Peter King a member of the Tea Party?

Nope.

In fact, the Tea Party got in his case over his proposal to have a “gun free” zone around congressmen

The founder of Tea Party Nation accused Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.) of “lunacy” on Tuesday for proposing a gun-free zone around Members of Congress.

18. Fly on the wall says:

The larger point, Sarge et al., is that BOTH parties have members who are guilty of saying some pretty awful stuff. The GOp, the Democrats, the TEA Party…ALL comtain those who don’t activate the filter in their heads before they speak…or just don’t care.

The talk shows are partly to blame, as there are incendiary folks all across the political spectrum – from Chris Matthews, Bill Maher, and Keith Olbermann and elected officials on the left to Glenn Beck, Pat Robertson, Shaaron Angle, Sarah Palin, and others on the right. The really sad part is that we, the viewers, have allowed this to happen because we give them ratings. This, in turn, emboldens them to push the envelope even further.

I think it was said earlier – just because you CAN say something doesn’t mean you ought to say it. Going tit-for-tat don’t make it right. Could/Should Obama have immediately denounced Hoffa? Probably. Should power people on the GOP have denounced Beck’s myriad rants and excessive fixation with Nazi imagery and stunts? Probably. What we ALL for get (and I include myself) is that – when we paint with a large rhetorical brush and rely on inflammatory soundbytes and broad generalizations about a whole race, or religious group, or whatever – we immediately reduce any conversation to its most basest level. Nothing is resolved; nothing is even really heard, because everyone’s dander and defenses go up.

Trolling the web for clips and soundbytes is easy. Stepping up one’s game to actually debate issues and not run those who differ into the ground or insult their humanity is something else entirely. No group is perfect, and thus no group should cry “Foul!” when they get a blowback.

• I actually agree with most of yoru comments. The only drawback is that as a conservative, there are only a few places I can turn to get the news. Of course, I do a lot of internet surfing, but never think to listen to CNNMSNBCABCCBS et al unless I want to know what the other side is thinking.

Unfortunately, the “other side” picks and chooses what they think you need to know. For example, have you heard anything on “Project Gunrunner”? If not, it’s the ATF plan to let weapons be bought by known drug cartel members or their lackeys and transported across the border into Mexico so they could be tracked. Unfortunately, ATF lost track of them and one of them was used to kill a Border Patrol agent. Others have shown up at crime scenes in Arizona. Brilliant, huh? Did you know Eric Holder has denied knowledge of the operation? Did you know that the White House denied knowledge? ANd yet, the other day three lackeys that work in the White House got busted (courtesy of Congressman Issa) with emails showing they had knowledge of the plan? It;s only a matter of time before it hits Holder and perhaps Obama.

Do you hear much about this on the news? Nope.

So the only alternative for news for out side is either talk shows or as I said, the internet. Personally, my favorite is Michael Savage, simply because is conservative but will let both sides have it.

• Fly on the wall says:

Yes, Sarge, I actually DID hear about it, and I heard about it thru the mainstream media. I think it’s a terribly boneheaded thing, and have never been all that impressed with the current AG (although, on the “pitiful AG” spectrum, I’d rank him about even with Sr. Gonzalez, but I digress…).

Until I read your opening line, I really didn’t think you were open-minded at all, though. On this thread, on threads previous, and on the threads of the other local paper, you seem to hew to a very narrow, borderline-obsessively snarky anti-Obama-and-libs thought process. It’s easy for the few stations that hew to a neocon viewpoint to continually take the “us against the heathens” position on things. Yet, through it all, for all your disgust at “libs” and Obama (whom you repeatedly and flippantly call “Barry Soetoro” or whatever), I don’t recall ever seeing you come out in print and denounce the hateful bile spewed by that shallow, self-serving blowhard Glenn Beck. I’ve never seen you personally denounce any GOP-aligned hateful rhetoric on any level, yet you revel in copying and pasting link after link after link of bile from the left. Not everything “W” and Co. did was legit – Constitutionally or otherwise – either. That ATF thing might just bring Holder down, and – if it does for legitimate reasons – he deserves his comeuppance.

But back to my larger point – lack of market share, or station options, or whatever doesn’t excuse hateful bile, anger-baiting rhetoric, and shrill fearmongering regardless of its source. We the people are guilty of not holding the talking heads to a higher standard, and of dropping down to that level ourselves…sometimes all too willfully. Until the majority sends the message to ALL talking heads, via messages and dropping ratings, that we expect better, it will not change all that much…sadly.

• And again Fly, you and I are close. I don’t watch Glen Beck because while I heard he gives a good history lesson, he apparently goes downhill after that. Neither do I watch Keith Olberman nor Chris “Thrill up my leg” Matthews.

And as myself and others have continually asked, and the other side has continually avoided, is to post something from first the Tea Party, and even from the right in general, that is as nasty as the stuff that is coming out of the mouths of Democrat congress people and even the VP.

You can’t do it.

The sooner people figure out that the media is slanted, the sooner they’ll be on their way to seeing things as they really are

• Fly on the wall says:

See my post above, Sarge, with the Peter King quote. You glibly tossed it aside because it wasn’t “Tea Party,” yet all those signs posted on earlier links WERE from Tea Party meetings across the country. Pick and choose…we get it. Seriously, though…you think all the media is tilted away from the angle in which you and those like you think it should be tilted. You can be sincere in your opinion, but you can also be sincerely wrong. That you persist in harping on your us-vs.-them bent only reinforces the idea that you are a close-minded individual. Sad, actually…

• And see below.

Exhibit A

Remember Journolist?

Thomas Schaller, a columnist for the Baltimore Sun as well as a political science professor, upped the ante from there. In a post with the subject header, “why don’t we use the power of this list to do something about the debate?” Schaller proposed coordinating a “smart statement expressing disgust” at the questions Gibson and Stephanopoulos had posed to Obama.

“It would create quite a stir, I bet, and be a warning against future behavior of the sort,” Schaller wrote.

Later, another Wright eruption led to a hysterical posting by Chris Hayes of the Nation who recommended a particular course of action:

Hayes urged his colleagues – especially the straight news reporters who were charged with covering the campaign in a neutral way – to bury the Wright scandal. “I’m not saying we should all rush en masse to defend Wright. If you don’t think he’s worthy of defense, don’t defend him! What I’m saying is that there is no earthly reason to use our various platforms to discuss what about Wright we find objectionable,” Hayes said.

Nah,nothing going on there

Or how about NPR, the sanctum of “objective news” getting busted admitting that they don’t cover the other side of the global warming issue?

Earlier, the video exposed of NPR’s Ron Schiller and Betsy Liley trashing Republicans, Tea Partiers, Jews, and Christians. Now there is new video
            of content not featured in the original release earlier. In the new video posted at The Blaze, executives Ron Schiller and Betsy Liley can be seen and heard discussing how their science editor covers climate change. Schiller and Liley seem to suggest NPR’s science coverage intentionally does not include comments from climate change skeptics.

I’m positive none of their leftist leanings ever creeps into their programs. Not at all. ;

And hey look! If you want some Barack Obama merchandise, you don’t have to pay tourist prices at the White House site. You can just go to CBS.com. Funny, I don’t recall any Bush stuff for sale on their site

In fact, out of the 13 items for sale, seven are Obama-related, in addition to the late Sen. Ted Kennedy’s memoir, “True Compass.” The only CBS-related item is a DVD copy of “60 Minutes Presents — Obama: All Access – The Road to the White House.”

There is so much merchandise that a side bar on the site even has a separate “Barack Obama” tab for quick browsing:

No cheerleading there.

How about the Washington Compost, another bastion of “objective” news, giving press to an Austin newspaper that took out a full page ad asking the serious policy question, “Have you ever had sex with Rick Perry?”

It’s not that I’m narrow minded. I read all sides. I simply reject liberalism

• Another great example here today. Obama’s uncle, who is in the country ILLEGALLY, was released from custody today by the Feds. No one knows where he went. It’s on Drudge. Strangely enough, I looked for it on MSNBC, CNN and CBS. Nada.

The media tells you what they think you ought to know

• The Janitor of Delphi says:

In other important news, Obama’s third cousin on his mother’s side got a parking ticket today.

• In still other news, Obama’s illegal aunt, who soaked up bennies for years before she was discovered, is still here

19. There is a need for term limits for the US Congress. Career politicians worry more about reelections and fundraising than serving the people. Jim Webb has it right that one term of 6 years is enough for a US Senator. Three two year terms in the House of Representatives is enough. Congress should receive no special pensions and just pay into social security like us. Lobbyists and special interests have too much influence on our federal legislators. Shrink and combine a lot of the executive agencies. The USA spends more on its military than all the rest of the world. Homeland Security is a monstrousity that is eroding our civil liberties. Ron Paul has great ideas! Our federal government is too expensive and intrusive. This federal bureauracy cancer is trying to micromanage too much such as healthcare, education, etc. Shrink and simplify the tax code! Close loopholes and lower personal and corporate tax rates. The Tea Party has tapped into the anger of people who feel that our tax code is unfair and that government has been wasting lots of money.

20. The TEA Party rest boils down to one thing, a thing that would seem to be a common thread among us all regardless of political affiliations, left or right. The government is out of of control and has been moving to this point for nearly a century. I don’t blame for the sum total, just his portion.

“We the people” should not be enemies in reeling in a government that is suppose to work for us and protect us (not take care of us or protect us from our selves.

Ken Rion
    NSVTP

21. This is what is wrong with our politics these days… Everyone is too obsessed with RIGHT or LEFT, instead of what’s RIGHT or WRONG. I have attended Tea Party meetings, and found those members to be very engaged in our political process, asked very thought provoking questions and treated me very fairly.

We may not have share the same views on some of the issues, but that is what Democracy is all about… We MUST move past these labels… red versus blue… gridlock… caused by big egos determined to play games by vilifying each other, instead of working towards producing actual results for the benefit of the people they represent.

I say THROW ALL THESE BUMS OUT… and start anew! It can’t get much worse…

Respectfully,