Letter to the Editor: Our Sam

Sam Card belongs to us. Walking or running through Berryville, working in the schools or doing odd jobs, worshiping or checking out books at the library, Sam is known and loved by many in Clarke County.

Clarke Daily News - Opinion & Editorial

In the last two years, Sam has served CCPS as a substitute teacher. Working primarily at JWMS and CCHS, Sam brings a passion for learning for all subjects, especially history, geography and science. An avid reader, Sam graduated years ago with a BS in Environmental Science. Today, he volunteered to serve as a judge for the Forensics Team and is on his way to a competition as I write!

The greatest compliment to his ability are the students who appreciate his enthusiasm.

Adam Campbell (2010 CCHS graduate and first year at UVa) comments,” Mr. Card is the best substitute I ever had during my 12 years in Clarke County schools. Definitely unique. He was enthusiastic about the subject matter and was a walking encyclopedia with interesting facts and data on a variety of subjects. One day, in French class, he gave a thumbnail history of the French Revolution! He simply made the 90 minutes go by a lot faster.”

Jacob (grade 9): “Mr. Card is a highly intelligent man who loves to teach. He loves the students and the students love him. When Mr. Card teaches one can tell he really enjoys what he is teaching. He comes into class with a “today in history” sheet he writes up and shares with us and goes into very deep detail. Usually, substitute teachers walk into the class, tell the students what to do and then sit and watch. Mr. Card really gets involved in the class. I have learned so much from his teaching.”

Where is Sam now? Why don’t we see him in the schools? Given Sam’s special way of communication, I wonder if he is not appreciated by those in authority. Has he made a mistake? Haven’t we all made errors in judgment? Does that mean he is banished from the schools? Isn’t it a marvel to have someone like Sam to enrich the school environment and provide the diversity that we so badly need in our community? It is the Sams of this world that allow us the privilege of receiving and extending grace. Grace focuses on strengths and diminishes weaknesses. Grace is what we ALL yearn for in creating and maintaining meaningful relationships.

Sam belongs to me, to you and he belongs in the schools. Calling Sam back to teach is simply the right, just and proper thing to do.

Mary Veilleux
Berryville, Virginia

Comments

1. sargewillis says:

Very good article, My family has known Sam for many years, he watched my kids grow up and he would stop by just to say “Hi” and sit and talk with us. They are in there 20s now but even today it would not be unusual to have Sam stop by just to ask about them and bring a treat for my pups. It is true he is a very intelligent person and is a wealth of facts and interesting stories, that might put some folks off but I find refreshing. A good and kind person, that is Sam.

2. Leslie Williams says:

My kids love Sam Card. They tell me that he knows something about everything, and has a command of the subject no matter what subject he is teaching! I love it when they have him as a substitute, because they come home excited about learning something. They find his love of reading and learning contagious – and, to me, the primary goal of any education system should be to inspire students to learn. Sam definitely does that.

3. I’d like to hear the School Board’s spin on this one.

Mike Murphy? Robina Bouffault? anyone?

Care to comment on this and explain?

I’m sure the public would like to know what’s going on because it sounds to me that Mr. Card is over qualified to be a substitute in the school system….surely you are not discriminating against him?

4. Robin Braithwaite says:

Sam is my neighbor and my friend. My daughter, Abby and her friends have had him as a substitute teacher and have thoroughly enjoyed his knowledge and enthusiasm. He is one of the reasons that we love living in this little town so much!

5. April O'Leary says:

Sam is truly a positive addition to the schools. He’s one of the only substitutes that my kids roll the windows down and call out to when we’re in town. He shows up at a lot of the rec league and school activities because the kids let him know when they’re playing and he is supportive of everyone. He is the walking definition of “genuine”.

6. Laura Stevens says:

I have one child at the middle school and one at the high school, both have nothing but positive things to say about Mr. Card.
    We met at the student Multicultural Club at the middle school during Native American month and he came in while the students were drawing my collection of kachinas. It sparked a conversation about some of the national parks in New Mexico, of which I fancied myself fairly knowledgeable having explored most of them and he blew me away with his erudition. The man truly is a gentleman and a scholar.

7. Robin Betz says:

Sounds like we should start a Sam Card fan club. I can “ECHO” many of the sentiments articulated already. My kids loved learning before moving to Berryville and now sadly they don’t. Mr. Card was a rare bright spot in their days when they had him. I wasn’t aware of any reason why he hasn’t been substituting except there wasn’t the need. If there is a any other reason, I’d like to get to the bottom of it as well. Unfortunately,if that involves engaging any “authority figures” there probably won’t be any success because my experience has been that they are bulldozer type people and that “DON’T DO CRITICISM” even if it might be helpful or constructive.

8. Allison Faubel says:

I was visiting Berryville from out of town this week and spoke with Sam at the opening night of the high school’s musical. As a teacher myself, I was touched and impressed to see a local citizen who cared so much about supporting the students. I am sure not every teacher (or even every parent) will take the time to see their kids perform, and it leaves little doubt that Sam is a committed member of your community and your school.

9. Jerry Boyles says:

Substitute teachers face a daunting task when they are called on at a moment’s notice to step in and create a productive classroom experience for students. My hat is off to all of them. However, Sam is in a catagory by himself. Clarke County is richer to have a real Renaissance Man like him willing to share his knowledge and experience on such a wide range of subjects. I don’t know of any other substitute teacher who commands the respect and enthusiasm that students show toward Sam. Isn’t respect and enthusiasm a good thing for education?

As I hear, Sam was banished for a misunderstanding with school administrators – a misunderstanding. He deserves better. Sam should be allowed to continue to enrich the learning experiences of our students.

• Fly on the wall says:

First, quibbling about it on here serves no purpose but to stir the pot. Central office ain’t going to comment, on here or elsewhere, if any sort of personnel matter exists. This conversation, by its very nature, will remain one-sided, so what’s the point?

Second, to use words such as “banish” is to amp up the melodrama when there’s no need to do so.

Sam is a good person; I’ve enjoyed many conversations with him as he’s been at school sports events, this weekend at the musical, and so forth. But, to ham-handedly stoke up sentiment when one doesn’t have all of the facts serves nobody but the author of this letter to the editor.

• Wait a second Fly on the wall: YOU’RE gonna talk about someone else using melodrama?

Hi Pot….meet Kettle!

• Perhaps Mrs. Veilleux was trying to see if there’s someone on here that’s in the know as to what happened and is willing to share.

Bottom line, if Sam had a disagreement with administrators, then he’s on the banned list. It doesn’t matter if he was right or wrong. That’s the way they work. Unprofessional. Don’t question their authority at all, even if they are wrong.

Knowing Mrs. Veilleux though, she won’t go away very easily. I hope she shares any info she receives on the subject.

10. Mr Mister says:

So was he informed that he is not needed, or is he not on the “list” anymore and not getting called in?

• Mary Veilleux says:

I spent Thursday morning with Sam, and to my knowledge he was told that his mistake might mean termination, but there has been nothing in writing or anything “official”. He simply hasn’t been called by the schools. I know that a wonderful solution can be worked out for Sam’s sake. I’m sure he is encouraged to read these supportive comments! Thank you for your interest!

• Interested bysitter says:

So, you think it was your duty to air this out here, on CDN, knowing that only half of the story can be told? Either you’re that naive, or you fail to appreciate that (A) it’s a personnel thing and not open for public discussion, or (B) that “errors in judgement,” to borrow your phrase, with regards to a school setting are taken pretty seriously.

I won’t claim to know anything of the matter; when I asked my kid about Mr. Card, his eyes lit up and he went on and on about how kind and earnest the man is. Still, since we’re not privy to the details of the “misunderstanding” except for his side of things, some on here are merely wasting pixels.

• Care for some cheese with that whine?

I am glad someone wrote this letter. Of course, personnel matters are closed session, but the impact is not. When closed session decisions start to victimize people who have no voice or avenue of appeal and they aren’t even invited to participate in the discussion or hear of the results after five weeks of waiting by the phone, well it’s time to use whatever measures are available to spread the word that “there’s trouble in river city.” Sam needs some advocacy because he hasn’t found any in the school system. This seems to be a good place to start.

Welcome to the new Clarke County.

• I’m glad Mrs. Veilleux wrote the letter too.

Discipline is SERIOUSLY lacking in CCPS. Not being able to fail a kid for failing tests, cheating, not doing homework, constantly acting out in class is just plain stupid and wrong. When you have a teacher or sub who DEMANDS discipline in the classroom, the first time a child of an administrator or feel-good teacher complains that he/she was disciplined by the teacher or sub, the teacher or sub gets called out for it.

They ought to burn those t-shirts that they sell that say “Discipline is not the enemy of enthusiasm”, because they don’t enforce discipline in the first place.

• Stonebroke says:

Those shirts wasn’t sold. They were given out by the former Athletic Director (Jim Singhas–3 Time Wachovia Cup Winner). Each student that participated in Sports recieved one!

• “(Jim Singhas–3 Time Wachovia Cup Winner).”

Gee, way to toot “Jim’s” horn there. A simple correction would have sufficed.

• Sojourner Truth says:

Good heavens! HE didn’t win the Wachovia Cup three years in a row. The athletic TEAMS did! When the first award was acknowledged during a football game, he and the principal walked out to midfield to receive the trophy. Athletes and coaches were not recognized or even asked to stand up to receive their due.

• Stonebroke says:

Everyone take a deep breathe! It was an inside joke! Nothing more, Nothing Less! We all know who was responsible for winning the Cups! It is great that he was recognized on that night. The Athletic Director position always catch the backlash of complaining people like yourself!

P.S.–And usually the first words out of your mouth—“I’m not here to complain but” Then why are you here? Ha,ha!

• dmaxnjackson says:

Not true. My kid played there 4 yrs, and never recieved one. Only went to the special kids….

• All you had to do was PAY for the “Spirit pack” at the begining of any sport season and you received the shirt. ASK for and PAY. That’s all.

• Stonebroke says:

That was awful nice of Mr. Singhas to only give those shirts to the kids with [redacted] needs!

• It was only $5, and I’m sure it you didn’t have the money you could have gotten one for free, if you ASKED. It included the shirt, shorts and a water bottle.

• Just sayin says:

You’re quite the malcontent, RW. The shirts were (maybe still are) given to CCHS athletes to focus on “discipline” as it relates to doing all one can to succeed athletically and academically. Those shirts have nothing to do with enforcing school rules (although…if every student were doing all he or she could to succeed, there wouldn’t be discipline issues…but I digress).

• “Clearly, all you seem to care about is finding any thread on here in which you can launch some senseless tirade against “the man” for your perceived injustices. This article, as disappointing and self-serving as it is, dealt with a specific thing. Your use of it as a launchpad for your own bile just continues to make you look petty and small-minded.”

Nah, it just shows that there is a pattern. And it’s obviously not just me “perceiving” it. But thanks for playing anyway.

• Lonnie Bishop says:

I don’t hear any whining. If Mr. Card made “an error in judgement” with regards to a sub assignment, or whatever, then what’s the fuss? He gets different treatment because he’s “special”? I worked as a sub in a different school division many moons ago, and subs pretty much work at the whim of whomever calls them. There ain’t no whole lot of fallback for them if one steps across some line.

So…as there seems to be more than a few on here who act like they know somethin, perhaps it’s up to them to fill in the blanks. The administration and SB ain’t goin to talk about it, because they can’t. I agree with you that the man deserves to know one way or the other what his standing is, but that’s really between him and the school administration. As to the rest of you, whispered rumors don’t do one bit of good.

• Stonebroke says:

I agree! Somebody fill us in what happened. I know somebody has the information on why he was placed on the “no call list”.

• Bill Thomas says:

[redacted] Can someone please enlighten me on why Sam should get preferential treatment that other SUBSTITUTE teachers don’t get?

[redacted]

• Seriously? says:

Preferential treatment? If the way he has been treated is preferential, the schools are in sorry shape. Everyone, substitute or not, deserves to be treated with respect and fairness.

• Are there 2 Bill Thomas’ in CC ? The BT married to Walker did not comment on this matter.

• Excuse me, did you just mention a mistake?
        Your article asked and I quote ” Has he made a mistake? Haven’t we all made errors in judgment?”
        To me this meant you didnt know.

Now your saying “to my knowledge he told me he made a mistake”. This line alone has totally discredited you.

You asked like you didnt know, now you’re saying he told you he made a mistake. So you go ahead and write this article anyway!

How dare you look to others for support without all the facts or half of a story.

Why wasnt this mistake aired? Is it to personel? Or none of our business?

• Are you so dense as to not understand the nature of rhetorical, thought provoking questions? Oh, never mind….

Furthermore, you state, “A termination for a mistake is quite significant, this was more than a little mistake or lack of good judgement.” Wow. How do you know that?

• Mary used the word termination in her comment!

I suggest you should read the article again and then put together what she said in her comment.

Me dense, lol. So a half a story is good enough for you! Oh wait never mind.

• I was wondering why it is ok for you to post “rhetorical” questions in your post, but she may not?

How about you read the EDITORIAL again. It is not a news article. When I read this, it discern someone is speaking her mind and questioning why a valued member of the community is being treated poorly. She is bringing an issue to the attention of those who were wondering where Sam has been. She updated her editorial with more input in the thread, but admits no one really knows because Sam has not received “official” word. Where is the discrepancy? No matter what the other half of the story is, it is wrong to treat ANYONE this way. To use your kind words, “how dare you,” defend it?

Again, I question why YOU say “this was more than a mistake or lack of good judgment.” How do YOU know this was MORE than that? I was not referring to the word “termination.” I want to know how YOU know this was “more” than that.

• Did you Know? says:

I know Sam. Do you know Sam? Rest assured, he did not harm anyone or place anyone in harms way. Nor, did he deny students an appropriate education. Sam is honest beyond your imagination.

Did you know, Sam gave tours on Alcatraz Island and was a park ranger in Alaska, Valley Forge, Yosemite, and Rocky Mountain National Park? Sam has traveled through Europe, South America, Iceland, and New Zealand. He is well versed in cultural history and geography. Sam inspires curiosity in his students. Sam has proven himself to be flexible and punctual. He has taught at DG Cooley where the children loved him. Sam has taught multiple classes at both JWMS and CCHS. IB students say they were challenged by his incisive mind. Sam was well liked in elective classes and has taught in Art, French, horticulture, music, and vocational agriculture, just to name a few. Sam loves history and science. Why get rid of a sub who assisted cross country coaches as a volunteer at the middle and high schools? Why get rid of a sub who races to school with a smile on his face eager to teach? Sam goes beyond the call of duty and has an outstanding work ethic. This is the Sam I know. Hopefully, one day you will know the real Sam and wouldn’t think of questioning his integrity.

• Number 1 job of a substitute: to follow the lesson plans of the regular teacher. If this isn’t done, then a major problem exists.

• Interested bysitter says:

So? He has a tremendous bio, with a lot of varied jobs over the years, and lots of time as a volunteer. He has a good work ethic? Being punctual and earnest is fine, but his eagerness to share what he knows, regardless of the plan left for him, is not a good work ethic for a sub. If Sam’s lectures were factored in to the lesson plans, that would be one thing. If he lectures on and on and ignores what’s left, that’s where the rub is.

11. Stonebroke says:

Too bad we can’t put some of the School Board Members on the “Do Not Call List” when they have misunderstandings!

12. Dmaxnjackson says:

well now we know, [redacted] must be joined at the hip with the SB, and all the other old cronnies that think they run this county. The only place they are running it, is in the ground. I do not know this Sam Card, but from everything I have read, he is exactly what this school system needs. I teacher that these kids can look up to, and LEARN!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Lonnie Bishop says:

Don’t know why you’re linkin anyone with the SB, Dmax. It seems the point was that, without knowin the facts, why stir up things with rumors and such? Personnel matters can’t be discussed publicly. He’s a nice enough fella, but what good is it for her to write such a letter when only one side can be written about?

14. I don’t know Sam Card nor have I heard of him…but…it’s not uncommon for full time teachers to touch the lives of students, but I would say it’s unusual for subsitutes to do such. In school I loved having a substitute because it was usually a movie day or a day where very little was accomplished. For a substitute to treat the class like a regular teacher on a regular school day and the students still leave with a lasting impression, well that’s saying something. Any time we had a productive subsitute, we weren’t generally a fan of such subsitute…that’s just how teenagers are.

• Clarke Sub says:

Well, some of us subs do try to make an impression! Sometimes when students are bored with the same old, same old, or dislike the teacher, a sub can come in and bring new insight to the class! Sometimes kids just connect to someone or something a little different. It makes me feel great when I can connect with a student and get them interested in learning….even if it’s only for one day!! (and it beats watching videos all day – most kids are bored with that!) Kim is right! Sam made an impression on students! He’s very knowledgeable! He can get them interested in learning! If there was a “misunderstanding,” perhaps some additional training for the substitute would be helpful, rather than just taking him off the sub list. That’s how things are handled in the real world – most people are not released on one incident – unless it involves breaking the law! It’s not like Clarke has an endless sub list! I would only hope that students feel the same way about me as their sub!

15. The Galloping Grommet says:

Ever notice that “sub” is another word for “hero”?

16. Mary, Thank you for writing the letter. It is heartening to know that there are still people who will stand up for those who may have difficulties doing it themselves. I think Mr. Card is one of a kind and so did my children who were fortunate enough to learn from him. Not only facts, but kindness and compassion. I believe I know what the mistake was, but I do not have right to speak for Mr. Card. In my humble opinion it really was a minor error, and feel if this had been anyone else would have been taken care of with a simple conversation. Maybe the letter will help Sam continue with his work in our school system…..I sure hope so. If it doesn’t, to those who have a hand in this should be ashamed.

17. I applaud Mary for writing about Sam and expressing her concern for his substitute teaching job. As this is a forum for opinions, this is definitely the place for “quibbling”/”stirring the pot” and hoping for a change.

My son had Sam as a substitute for Economics class last year and I can remember him coming home and informing me that Sam had done a great job at engaging the students in conversation and lecturing them on the subject of Economics.

As I have had the pleasure of getting to know Sam personally, his enthusiasm of any subject is contagious, and his work ethic is most respectable. On the day his mother died, he walked down to the nursing home to say goodbye to his mother and then went “back to work”. When, I questioned him about this, he simply said, “Well, it’s my job”.

As there are many good substitutes out there, Sam has to be one of them. He wholeheartedly believes in education and simply wants to challenge the students to learn more. He is a diligent worker and believes in making the most out of every teaching moment.

This opportunity he has had in the schools beautifully fulfilled his heart’s desire to serve this community.

Bring back Sam!

18. Sam graduated with a BS degree in environmental science from Western Washington University, but has roots in Clarke County. Sam’s grandfather Robert Henry Renshaw was born in 1886 and grew up in Clarke County at Annfield (famous historical home). In his retirement from Federal Land Bank in Baltimore, Mr Renshaw was a legend in his substitute teaching in the Clarke County School system and for tutoring college students in calculus. He died in 1973, but touched the lives of many students as the elderly man of 6 feet and white hair, who told funny stories. Mr. Renshaw was an expert scholar in math and history and graduated from University of Virginia. As a Civil Engineer, he worked on the Panama Canal and Bureau of Roads in Maryland and West Virginia. He was also the Mayor of Snow Hill, Maryland, where his daughter Henrietta was born in 1921. She died on January 25th, and is remembered as the friendly ice cream lady at Coooley Elementary school, when Dr. Ron Brown was the Principal. Sam’s friendly 91 year old stepfather, Bev Whiting, owned the Berryville Newstand from 1956-1979. Sam’s cousin, B Leonard, graduated from Clarke County High school in 1966. Sam was a 1978 graduate of Clarke County High school. Each year, a deserving graduating high school student has been receiving the Renshaw Memorial Award of money since the 1980’s. The Old Chapel iron gate says in memory of Robert Henry Renshaw, but he would turn over in his grave if he knew how Sam is being treated.

19. A JWMS student sent Sam a hand written note in the mail which says: Dear Mr. Card, I just wanted to let you know that I really enjoyed you as a substitute teacher for history at Johnson Williams Middle School. I learned A LOT that day from you. Hope to see you soon. This student has had Sam for other classes. Sam does the extra to add to the lesson such as bringing in comfederate money for history and fold up bird song book for biology. Spanish students at JWMS and CCHS learned about the Camino de Santiago pilgrimage route which Sam hiked in 2006 from southern France, over the Pyrenees and across northern Spain, to Santiago de Compostello. Sam also hiked the Inca Trail to Machu Pichu in Peru and toured South America for three month.

• Just sayin says:

But…if learning of such things was not a part of the plans that the regular teacher left, then that creates a problem. It don’t matter what Sam’s earnest intentions were, and it don’t matter that he’s a gentleman adn a scholar. If he is not capable of following the lesson plans left by the regular teacher, he’s not going to get called to sub. It is the job of the regular teacher to structure the lessons; how can a teacher plan for something Sam is going to bring in because it popped up in his mind to talk about it? My kids love Sam, but they also know that he didn’t always follow the plans their teachers left behind. Subbing is not the time to turn a class into a personal lecture hall, regardless of how well-intentioned the motives may be.

• You make it sound like Sam may have deviated from one of the more uppity teacher’s lesson plans for the day and they may have turned him in for it, basically knowing he would deviate. That type of behavior from some of the teachers does not surprise me. Sad.

• Just sayin says:

OK, Oliver Stone. You’ve added “uppity teachers” to the list of those with whom you’d tilt, including the CCHS and CCPS administrations. The simple fact is that, if Mr. Card doesn’t follow a regular teacher’s plans, teachers won’t put him on their “do call” list. I don’t think it has anything to do with anyone being uppity. Since my kids aren’t at the high school yet, I can’t speak to the plans that are left there. But, from my experience with the teachers at the elementary and middle schools, they do seem to try to leave work that is a part of their current units; I ask my kids what they did in class, and they usually tell me if there was a sub or not, and what they did. So, if Mr. Card or any sub doesn’t follow those plans, then the learning process was interrupted (regardless of how solid the facts he may have covered). Again, my kids love him, but I can see why the regular teachers might not want to call him in to sub for them.

• There are uppity teachers in CCPS who think their own little darlings are always above reproach and never do any wrong, especially if someone else points it out that they are. It’s a sad fact of life here.

Bottom line, my gut tells me Mr. Card got railroaded and entrapped.

• Just sayin says:

You are really reaching with that.

• I bet there are teachers in all school systems who “think their own little darlings are always above reproach and never do any wrong” not just CCPS.

• Glad you mentioned this, Just sayin, because several times my kids came home from high school with the report that they watched a movie for class since there was a sub, including movies like “Twilight”. I believe it to be much more educational to get a lecture (even if it is another subject) than to watch entertainment movies.

• If students don’t complete the lesson plan left, it isn’t because a sub told them not to. Sam has always had my students complete their lesson AND added something extra to fill up whatever time was left, rather than “popping in a video” like most teachers ask subs to do.

20. Charlie Estep says:

I have known Sam since I was a kid. In fact I graduated from CCHS with Sam in 1979. We ran Cross County and Track together and I for one think Sam is a great guy, fun to talk to and a unique person. I recently went to his Mom’s funeral and Sam although sad to lose his mother took time to relate stories about his mother and honored her life.

Now to the point at hand. I don’t know what exactly happened but I believe our community needs substitute teachers like Sam Card. It seems from the article and other posts that the kids love Sam as a substitute and enjoy his teaching style. He has even taught in my son’s class and when asked about it he said Sam did a really good job. He also said Sam has an amazing memory and can speak on almost any subject.

Please give Sam a chance! I feel in this case forgiveness and grace needs to be given to Sam. Many times when dropping off my son at CCHS – – I see Sam walking up from Berryville and I always try to speak to him. We need Sam and Sam needs us! Let’s give him a chance!

21. From 1985-1987, Sam worked in Washington state as a volunteer at Bellingham Maritime Heritage Center. Sam aided and facilitated portions of numerous biological oceanogrpahy programs for grade 6 students. Sam also led Salmon Life Cycle tours for the public and scout groups. During the winter, Sam assisted in teaching about fish to Elementary school age children. He was responsible for setting up and leading small groups that were independent of each other and guide them in their learning activity. His supervisor, Heather Higgins, wrote: Sam is punctual, reliable and responsible. Sam has a child like enthusiasm that became contagious with the young children. Sam enjoys learning and teaching. At Shannon Point Marine Labotory in Anacotes, Washington, he assisted his WWU professor, Dr. Bert Webber, in gathering data for shrimp research as part of his Marine Ecosystems Analysis class. In Bellingham, he assisted in the research for the published 1986 Lake Whatcom Watershed Management Plan. Sam researched and presented formal interpretation programs for the public at national parks as a ranger.

22. Sam worked in the Western Washington University Map Library. It is a federal depository of maps and had the 46th largest map collection in the USA, back in 1985. His supervisor, Janet Collins, wrote that Sam was eager to learn, cooperative, responsible and dependable. He has a natural curiosity and enthusisasm for learning. Sam took iniative while working on projects and was innovative at problem solving. He worked well with co-workers and library patrons. Sam was efficient in assisting patrons with thie needs and did so in a very concerned matter.

23. Sam Card and other WWU Huxley students created, organized and taught a one week Outdoor School for Granite Falls Elementary School. The outdoor school was at Cornet Bay, by Deception Pass, on the north end of Whidbey island. Dr. Kim Freier and Dr. John Miles were the environmental education professors. Sam led older teenagers on canoe trips throughout the San Juan Islands for a summer camp in Washington state. In New Hampshire, Sam worked three summers as Nature Program Director at Camp Quinebarge. He was also Assitant Trip Leader and led campers on hikes up Mount Washington and other peaks in the White Mountains. He organized an Ocean Day in Maine for the whole camp.

24. In 1992, Sam worked in Alaska for Glacier Ranger District of the Chugach National Forest. He lectured about glaciers, local history and nature topics on Portage Lake Boat tours. At times, he was a ship board interpreter on the Alaska State ferry between Seward, Valdez and Cordova. In 1997, he worked for Tongass National Forest in Juneau, Alaska. In November and December, he led four field trips of Elementary school students to Haines, Alaska to witness the largest gathering of bald eagles in the world at Chilcat Valley. On the Alaska state ferry trip from Juneau to Haines, Sam led students to build an eagle activity. In 1998, Sam was a park ranger in Skagway, Alaska.

25. Sam is a caring compassionate person who was very sad after his mother died on January 25, 2011. He felt a greater loss in February, when he stopped getting called to substitute teach. Sammy loved his mother, Henrietta Whiting, and sang to her most everyday at Godfrey Home. Sam’s mother was the kind hearted ice cream lady for many years at Cooley Elementary school. Her sweet smile added joy to the children and she taught them about polite manners and tolerance. At the funeral service at Grace Episcopal Church in Berryville, Sam led the congregation in a lovely way in the singing of “Morning Has Broken”. His family were devoted to their mother and his kind sister Rita was by her bedside for two months.

26. CCPS Student Parent says:

I’ve had several children go through the CCPS system and have heard a lot of anecdotal stories about how the high school operates. I’ve also spoken with many substitute teachers over the years. Many subs are just local folks who effectively serve as classroom monitors when a teacher is absent and are trying to make a few extra bucks. The sub does not need to have a teaching certificate or expertise in the subject matter of the class. So to somehow insinuate that deviating from a lesson plan when a regular teacher is not in class reduced the amount of learning that may have happened on a given day seems like a stretch to me. On the other hand, as a parent and given what I have read about Mr. Card, I would expect that learning did happen in classes where he was the substitute instructor. To exclude Mr Card from further teaching opportunities will cause me to question just what the agenda of CCPS’s administration really is. Restoring him to a substitute teaching position will have the opposite affect and is the right thing to do.

• Agreed. What should have happened is that administration (dunno if it was HS or Middle School) should have had a sit down with the parties involved and taken care of it internally. It’s becoming painfully obvious that Mr. Card has been the victim of a spineless administrator and an overzealous instructor.

• Just sayin says:

NO…what’s obvious is that you, along with a few others on here, are jumping to conclusions without all of the facts. We’re not going to get all of the facts, because it’s a personnel matter and half of the ones involved (the schools) can’t legally talk about things. The reality, for any sub (and I was one, several years ago, elsewhere), is that to regularly not follow plans, or whatever…means that future calls don’t happen. It’s like being on the bench of a football team – if I got called in to play, and played poorly, or ignored the called play and did my own thing, would I get called in to play again? Nope. It doesn’t matter how “special” I am. Same with subs. It had absolutely nothing to do with the integrity of the person, or how earnest he or she was, or whatever. Life story means nothing if a sub won’t follow the plans set by the teacher.

I see the same thing in the workaday world. If a company has poor service, they’re not going to get repeat business.

27. Half-empty says:

Look, I’ll give you Sam is a nice and polite guy. But many of you are over-fluffing his resume’. I also think some of you are brushing with broad strokes. Sam relates to older adults and younger children, not so much with people in-between. He lives with others because he can’t live on his own. He walks because he doesn’t operate machinery. Sure he has a savant like mind. He tells great stories. You can’t convince me that the older kids at the school respect his authority. They know a weak lamb when they see one. I really don’t think he could control them if they got out of hand. Come on, you remember what it was like when you found out there was a substitute for the day. It was an easy, goof-off day. How many times did your sub have to tell the class to quite down? [redacted] What would happen if there was an emergency or a serious issue during one of his lectures? I have seen some of his decisions, minor but not the greatest. I’m not trying to bash him.
    A one-day sub is just a babysitter. Make sure the kids don’t get out of hand, maybe just a study-hall. It doesn’t bother me that he tells great stories and if the kids are interested, all the better. I don’t think he is teacher material. If he was, he’d be doing it full time.

• Time4change says:

And there. Someone announced the elephant in the room. Schools should be the strongest support for people with special needs. Instead this county that has taken parents to court to force their kids into special schools instead of these schools, are probably using Sam’s needs as their excuse. Shame. Shame. Shame. “However you treat the least…”

• Bob Kelly says:

The elephant in the room is not the gentleman in question.

I am not a lawyer but I do understand that the elephant is liability. If anything were to happen, such as if a student taking a thirty minute bathroom break that the sub didn’t monitor were to cause property damage or injury, then the school system – starting with the superintendent, and working down through building principal, etc. – may be the target of a legal action.

If this gentle man has even a small history of not following plans, and the system has even anecdotal evidence that this person has special needs, retaining him as a substitute would be an indefensible position in a court of law. I am also fairly certain that the silence the school system will and should maintain is to protect themselves and to protect people like Sam.

The schools aren’t the villain here. With her own good intentions the original writer of the Letter to the Editor is an unintending villain. All of you who support Mrs. Veilleux and want to give Sam Card a chance, insisting that he be given work as a substitute teacher, are missing the boat, and Sam is missing his niche. Why can’t he be a guest speaker for a class, a storyteller for the library, local history guide, … The possibilities are endless, but Sam’s supporters seem to want to continue to push a round peg into a square hole and blame the hole when all goes badly. That is just sad.

Wake up, people. Quit whining about how unfair the schools are being to Sam. They are doing their job. Find the proper niche for this deserving man and start treating HIM with respect. Stop dragging his personal life through a message board where you hope every one notices how altruistic you are for wanting to help a special person. Do something useful, like figuring out a way for Sam to make a living doing what it is you praise so well here.

Wake up people, and go figure.

• Bob Kelly says:

And while you’re at it, go visit NW Works in Winchester, http://www.nwworks.com/ . It will open your eyes, hearts, and minds to those who need our help.

• Fly on the wall says:

Well said.

• Stonebroke says:

You better have sufficient evidence too Mr. Kelly that Mr. Card is not able to handle his job responsibilities as a substitute–and that your not stereotyping him as a person with special needs that can’t do the job because of the label that your giving him—because if so—then you might be in the court of law defending why you won’t give this man work when he is more than capable of handling the job responsibilities. Better watch how you diagnose people—without having your PhD in that field.

• RasputinSays says:

Oh if only it were so. However the unfortunate truth in this situation is that the administration has made a serious error and instead of doing the right thing they have decided to proceed and hope the truth never makes it to the light of day.

I sincerely hope the truth comes out in this matter because this is another in a long line of incidents where administrators make mistakes and immediately begin their own damage control. Unfortunately for them in this instance, Sam has a circle of friends in the community who will not let it be swept away as these things typically are. It is an unfortunate pattern of behavior we have seen from administrators who prioritize their own employment over the collateral damage they cause.

The other aspect of this issue is that even if the alleged offense were accurate the penalties seem to be inversely proportional to ones position in the school system. In fact there was an incident that involved similar criteria not too long ago that involved an administrator. That very public incident was far more egregious and resulted in the Clarke County School System being sued. Yet that administrator was not summarily dismissed. That individual is still gainfully employed by the school system in spite of the litigation they were responsible for precipitating.

No this is not an incident where anyone in the school was protecting the safety of students, or the quality of lesson plans, it was originally a failure to correctly assess a situation. Now it is turning into a race to cover some school mistakes and hope they never see the light of day. Good luck with that.

• Stonebroke says:

Exactly! I don’t even know what happened to Mr.Card and why he is not allowed to substitute anymore. However, I do recall a couple of incidents that occured by administrators/teachers and they was still able to teach and hold their positions. (DECA,Prom incidents–just to name a couple!) So, how bad was this act that Mr. Card was responsible for?

• wow indeed says:

“In fact there was an incident that involved similar criteria not too long ago that involved an administrator. That very public incident was far more egregious and resulted in the Clarke County School System being sued.”

Apparently Rasputin knows exactly what happened and why. Perhaps he can tell us what it is/was – specifically. As a matter of fact there are many posts on here that claim to know what happened and that it was unfair. WHY are none of them telling the specifics and how it is unfair? There is no law keeping THEM from exposing the truth. Just saying it doesn’t make it so.

Also, anyone can sue for anything. It is the outcome that matters, right Mr. redacted?

• Observer says:

I think that may most people like “Rasputin” or others who have posted on this article who may know or have an idea are not saying anything or commenting specifically as they want to protect the confidentiality of the situation and just first let the system work. Sometimes things that start as something minor, can escalate and turn into a life of its own. Hopefully there is still confidence left in this community for those people you appointed to make the best judgement.

Basically, this could be a real “teachable moment” for the Clarke county educational system, and the community on how to handle things better and have good policy. Maybe a town hall meeting or is this forum it?

• Interested bysitter says:

The educational system has a good policy. The problem is that an outside individual, in this case Mary Veilleux, opened Pandora’s box with her initial letter and exposed Sam and all to scrutiny, judgements, and the like that may or may not be warranted. If Sam was an ineffective sub (i.e. not capable of following lesson plans left by the regular teachers, who are charged with structuring the lessons and being responsible for what goes on in their rooms; etc.), then he’s not going to get called back. If he made “an error in judgement” or showed an inability to perform his job at a high level, then he won’t be on the list. It really is that simple. The administrators are paid to use their judgement in such matters. When we don’t have all the facts, how can we help? Mrs. Veilleux has done Sam more harm than good with her letter.

THAT is the teachable moment here. There is no reason to set up a “town hall” meeting because it’s a personnel issue involving one sub not really suited for the job. I agree with another post on here – perhaps he could be a guest lecture in a career class, or a science class, or something where his immense knowledge and many job experiences can best be tapped to enhance a lesson. Clearly, he is not suited to be a sub.

• Frederick William Victor Albert says:

Mr. I.B. it seems from your plethora of partisan postings, their content and the times of your postings, that you may well be a member of staff with CCPS. Since you bring up policy, let’s look at Policy 7-9P, Acceptable Computer System Use. If I may quote:
            All use of the Division’s computer system must be (1) in support of education
            and/or research, or (2) for legitimate school business. Use of the computer system is a
            privilege, not a right.
            Furthermore, any Principal or Assistant Principal who turns a blind eye to abuse of computer system use would be in violation of Policy 8-27, Supervision.
            Isn’t it great that the school policies are now online for all to see!

• Half Empty says:

I don’t believe I have slandered any one. I know Sam and I know some of the tings said were only one-sided until I mentioned some of the truth that ruffeled feathers. I was not attacking Sam’s person. Just voicing my opinion why he may not be fit to teach. I think you all should stop feeling sorry for him and realize this too. I do not know what happened to him at the school. My opion is based on seeing him around town and who and how he interacts with people. Hate me if it makes you feel better, but I speak the truth.

• Observer says:

Since no one really knows what the reason is in Sam‘s situation for not working at this time, how can you state that it’s about the lesson plans, and that Sam is “clearly not suited to be a sub” ? If your not a teacher, how would you know what he does with lesson plans if you have not worked directly with him.

But if for example some teacher did feel this way as you mentioned, they just could call on another substitute that they did work better with that was similar to their style. If another teacher did like Sam and worked well with him, then let them have the chance to call him as their sub. Why take him off the list? Especially if the children in the class really like him, they‘d be denied that opportunity to work with him. Your assuming all teachers in all the schools don’t want Sam as their sub or all think the same way.

And as for the educational school system having good policy, if a sub such as Sam as you mentioned for example, was considered “an ineffective sub” or “showed an inability to perform”, etc, what is the Clarke School district system’s policy for performance review of their teaching?

If you were a sub (or at any job for that matter), and there was a problem with your work, wouldn’t you want a chance to know what it is, and be given an opportunity to correct it or get adequate training to bring your performance level up to standards. This brings about a strong workplace environment, and more worker retention. This way you can keep more substitutes on staff and help raise the standards. With all this controversy about Sam, and so much secrecy of what happened, why would anyone want to substitute teach now in that kind of environment unless there is more chance for improvement.

The comment of a town hall meeting mentioned was not about Sam’s situation. That was just an idea of a place for the Clarke County educational system and the general community to work on some collaborative ideas and goals together for education, and resolve any concerns or policies in general. Its evident by many postings here and on other past articles there is a need. Many other communities do this and it works well with great benefits to all.

• Concerned says:

I’m sure Mr Kelly you are a nice person and meant well, and I looked at your website for NW Works which does great things for the community and the people it helps. Its good to know this exists. However, you might want to be careful on the wording or “stereotyping” as referenced earlier of writing “special needs” or anything else similar to this. If you meant “special needs” as in someone is diabetic or had some health condition, you could not discriminate on job hiring on that basis, but it appears you mean something else when you said wanting to help a “special person”.

There is a fine line that can be crossed when ANYONE on these postings starts to infer something that is damaging to a person who is named, without basis. It can become borderline “Defamation of Character”.

This is where “it is false and unprivileged spoken words or written publication, which exposes any living person to hatred, contempt, ridicule, or which causes him/her to be shunned or avoided, or which has a tendency to injure him/her in his/her trade or occupation“. (such as in the case of someone wanting to be a teacher or substitute) Especially when it causes “pain and suffering” to that person on an emotional level.

Just be careful on how you word things.

• Bob Kelly says:

The central tenet of my post was liability and there were no actionable statements contained in those paragraphs. Further the editors here that screen every post have agreed by the action of allowing the message to be posted. I do appreciate your care and concern for my well being, but why do you continue?

You have succeeded in bumping Sam Card’s life back to the front page, but have offered no solutions. What part of yourself is feeding on this, Concerned?

CDN Editor: The opinions expressed on the Clarke Daily News website by readers are not necessarily those of CDN. Likewise, CDN neither endorses or condemns reader opinions and comments. The forum is provided to allow members of our community to discuss issues that they believe are important. People of all races, religions and political affiliation are invited to contribute.

• Bob Kelly says:

Thank you for your input, CDN Editor.

Allow me to rephrase my comment by first restating the only evidence that I can find of any published posting policy: “Comments are moderated so play nice. Comments that contain personal attacks will be deleted”

Rephrasing: The central tenet of my post was liability and there were no statements contained in those paragraphs that were either actionable or intended to personally attack Sam Card.

I still don’t understand why more of this discussion doesn’t center on what other measures could be put in place to help Sam. Does The Barns need a storyteller? Does Sky Meadows need a ranger? There are museums in Winchester that could benefit from his talent. Like I said, the possibilities are endless, but no one seems to want to move in that direction. What I see is a lot of negativity concerning CCPS, much of which is misplaced in my opinion. I also see no one jumping to aid Sam with his transportation concerns. The false altruism displayed in most to the comments is truly sad.

Just a thought: It would seem that Sam could at least be encouraged to work with the local elder care providers. Many of those folks are lonely and would throughly enjoy time with a man like Sam.

• Stonebroke says:

“I’m not trying to bash him” Wow! I’d hate to see what you would say about the guy if you did bash him!

• Observer and Friend says:

I wasn’t planning on commenting on this article just yet, as I was trying to just reflect on the comments everyone in the community was posting to learn more about the issue, but after “half empty” posting today I just had to post a rebuttal to what you wrote. I know Sam for many years from our university days in Washington State, and know of his character and work experiences quite well.

I really had to take issue with several of the points you raised, and not to put you on the offensive, but did want to bring in another perspective on what you posted.

First of all this insinuation that Sam is “different”. It may seem that way to you as your lifestyle may be “different” than his, but out here in our region he is the same as many many of us. “Difference” really is subjective as we have so much diversity in our country and world with so many other cultures, that we are all different from each other. That can really vary city to city, and state to state, etc… in our way of life and the way we do things.

Point 1: “That he doesn’t relate to “people in between“,

Not sure what ages your referring to but the people we know in common or I have seen him talk to range from 5- 65, and he relates well with all of them. He is able to engage in all age levels from my experiences from what I have seen over the years. So wasn’t sure what age group you were commenting on.

Point 2: “He lives with others because he can’t live on his own”.

Well, I know a lot of people that would take issue with that statement. First of all, he is like many in a growing population in this country that move back in with elderly parents to help take care of them. Sam had lived on his own in Washington State before, but he chose to go back to Virginia to be of assistance to his elderly parents. With the rising cost of health care and lack of adequate care facilities (that’s another issue), its much cheaper and more humane for children to help take care of their parents in their homes, many moving back to live with them. Its also more economically feasible to live with other people these days, whether its with elderly people to help provide assistance or companionship, or with friends to help reduce the cost of living expenses.
      Many people are losing their homes these days to foreclosure and have to live with family or friends, do you want to include them in this statement also?

Point 3: “ He walks because he doesn’t operate machinery”

I know for many people the idea that someone doesn’t own a car (“machinery”) or choses to walk seems unusual, but in many countries, for example in various parts of Europe, this is quite normal. In Seattle area, our mayor often bikes to work as he does not want to use the car. Out here in the West Coast, many communities are into “sustainable living”, and chose not to own a car or drive less to reduce the gas emissions on the environment, as well as save money. They either chose to bike or walk to places, and it also helps in health benefits. Sitting in the car for long periods of time is part of our obesity problem. I myself have put on weight driving more than I use to compared to when I walked more. I admire Sam’s commitment to walking, and its also more interactive with people in the community the way it was before “machinery” came around.

Now to two points regarding Education that I thought were of the most importance

Point 4: “A one-day sub is just a babysitter”

I‘m not sure if many subs would appreciate that, nor teachers I know of.
      Many teachers would be happy to have a teacher that helped inspire their students and goes the extra mile. Its actually helpful for the teacher to get the students to become more excited for learning on a project they are working on. In a sense, substitutes can help assist teachers this way, and can be like a teaching assistant.

Many people I know of personally that are substitute teacher, either were teachers before and came back to update their teaching skills; retired and came back as they enjoyed teaching but only wanted to do it part time, or are thinking of going into teaching and using this to gain teaching experience.

That’s a sad commentary on the state of our education unfortunately that anyone either a sub or teacher is there to “babysit.”

Point 5: “I don’t think he is teacher material. If he was, he’d be doing it full time”.

I was quite sorry to hear this statement about Sam, or even for anyone else in this position of substitute teaching part time. As pointed out before, many use substitute teaching to gain experience, and some use it as a springboard to go on to full time teaching later in the future.

First of all, its not that easy to get a full time position, and with the budget cuts there are more schools closing, consolidating and less positions available. In Sam’s case and other subs, he might have to go back to university to get his teaching credentials for many positions and that takes time and money. The cost of higher education and getting a masters is not cheap. He enjoys substitute teaching there in Berryville as it gives him a diverse range of subjects to teach, and he truly enjoys the students and teachers there in that community.

As for not being “teaching material”, he most definitely is teaching material. Besides the knowledge, he has the passion. Many of his friends told him long ago to think about teaching as we saw his strengths and talents. I grew up in a family of educators, and a few of them know Sam and encouraged him in this direction, as well as a few of his professors as they saw the light within him. In Sam’s case, if he did go back to school to get the teacher training to be a full time teacher, he would be an even better teacher than he is now. As a subsitute teacher, most subs like Sam get the experience of working with students, but with little or no training teaching prep, so they work with what skills they do have from college.

Berryville is lucky to have a substitute like Sam that enjoys what he does, and is willing to get even less benefits or no benefits than even a full time teacher just because he wants to help our youth of today learn.

We need to try to support our teachers, future teachers and substitutes of today, and not discourage them. Teacher retention is a big problem in our country, many teachers are leaving to go towards better paying professions. If there is a problem for teachers within our educational system, its up to us in our communities to address it, resolve it, and make it better for them and everyone involved so the students can continue to learn.

• Half-empty says:

Very nice “fluff”. Again , it is not the person I disagree with. It’s the professional Sam that I am talking about. I doubt he could create a quality lesson plan, let alone follow one. Oh, and when he is not living with his elderly parents, he lives with his sisters not by himself. Tell the whole story if you are his real friend. I don’t think he should be in a teacher role. Maybe a teacher’s aid would suit him well. Maybe as someone else stated, a guest speaker. Let’s face it, what was the last full time job he had? You all know the reasons.

• These posts have all gotten way out of hand. We can continue to point fingers as to why Sam is not longer working for the school system, we can continue to point out his faults, we can continue to be cruel and say hurtful things about him on this forum but can we stop? This has gone on long enough! The school system obviously does not want Sam to work for them. We will never know the true reason unless someone’s got the courage to speak up and just let it out. Unfortuately Mrs. Veillux’s letter opened up a can of worms and it lead to many of you attacking Sam. Stop. Enough is enough! I can see both sides of this situation but do we have to be so callous and cold about him? I understand Mrs. Veillux was trying to help him. She’s a kind woman for trying but people will point out another person’s faults because they can. Let’s stop dragging Sam’s name in the mud. He doesn’t deserve it no matter what you think of him. No one deserves that.

It amazes me….the more that people write on here under an anonymous screen name(s), the more I can figure out who they are….and I’m sure I’m not the only one who can! You think you are safe behind your anonymous names…think again. Your personalities come out in your words. Just something to think about!

• Observer says:

Half-empty, I guess you may not of read the entire posting earlier to counter to your posting. Subs are there to assist teachers in their lessons, so any sub like Sam would just help along with the lesson plan idea of the classroom teacher. This can vary from teacher to teacher how they work with the sub on this.. So how would you know if he could create a lesson plan, he hasn’t been in that position? That’s just your opinion, not a fact. If he did have the certification training for teaching, I’m sure he would do a great job just like many teachers as they would have the knowledge of creating a lesson plan.

As for the idea of telling the whole story, that implies there is some story to tell. Not sure why your so concerned if he is not living by himself. Sometimes its due to lack of better paying jobs that people live with someone else (“Its the Economy”), but also sometimes people like living with other people. However, if Sam wants to live with his extended family, or anyone else, whats wrong with that? Half of the worlds population already does.

As for “when the last time he held a full time job, and people know the reason“, not sure what you mean by that. Maybe you know? Most likely is that is the reason for many people. There are not that many full time jobs available, there is a lot of competition for those jobs, and also you would need to get hired for those jobs. Maybe if Berryville had some sort of bus service, people could go to other communities like Winchester and have more opportunities for full time work if non exist there in Berryville. Don’t assume everyone has a car or can afford one.

Try to just think through some of your statements and make them alittle more constructive. I don’t think you’d appreciate if your name was in an article like this, and people in your community were making judgments on how your life should be lived.

• Interested bysitter says:

Observer, what you say may be all well and good. The simple fact is this – if someone with Mr. Card’s limitations can’t cut it as a sub, then he’s not going to get called. Mary Veilleux opened the door to folks commenting on his qualifications (or lack thereof) when she wrote about his “special way of communicating” and whitewashed over his shortcomings as a sub. There are two sides to the story, and only 1 can really be told here because the schools aren’t going to comment. Everything else – his bio, those vouching for or being the cold voice of reason against his work as a sub, whatever – is based on anecdotal evidence and so forth.

• Observer says:

Interesting commentary….just wasn’t sure what you meant by Mr Card’s “limitations”, that was rather unclear what you meant.

Actually its not 1 side of the story that has been presented, NO sides of the story have been presented on this website, the school board hasn’t commented and neither has Mr Card commented. And thats who the personnel issue is between, just them, for now. So no one really knows.

Everything else on this article is just all speculation by outside people who are not even involved.

28. “Calling Sam back to teach is simply the right, just and proper thing to do.”

Mr. Card holds no professional license to teach in Virginia, so he has no recourse.

I do not know him but have seen the accolades, and I suspect he is like manyof the educated sub rollers in Clarke who are not called and are now replaced by Instructional Assistants who have a General Diploma or GED and no college credits.
    ( see new school board policy)

I know of one sub who has complained to VDOE with victory against CCPS recently, so this may be the reason. Too much litigation $$$

BRAVO CCPS-let’s keep the good teachers out and our kids stupid!

29. Mr. Card should be commended for valuing his position as a SUBSTITUTE teacher. These roles are often regarded as less than desirable, yet he chooses to make this his living. It’s a difficult position that most do not really WANT to do, and ask any teacher and he or she would tell you that being a substitute would be a fate worse than many horrid things. I’ve been a teacher for over 15 years and substituted for 2, and believe me, it’s little pay for taking over a classroom or classrooms full of often misbehaving children and/or moody talkative teenagers that most would never even entertain the idea at all. Give me a hundred Sam Cards and perhaps our kids will learn something new. Education is about learning, right?

30. Mr Card has no special needs. He is in better health and physical condition beause of not driving. You can set your watch by his punctuality. Associating material possesions with character is pure ignorance and stupidity. Mr. Card has had a Virginia Drivers License, so he passed a driving test. Mr Card’s tennis ability shows he has the eye and hand coordination to drive. Mr Card shares a home with a 91 year old man, who depends on Sam’s financial contributions. Sam is within short walking distance of Food Lion. Sam has no DUI and has driving experience. Walking to school or work is transportation and a good role model for environmental sustainabilty. Sam Card’s mother almost died from a terrible car crash when he was 11 years old. Most people, among the whole world, do not own a car. Sam uses public transortation and has traveled throughout the world. The USA has about 5 percent of the world’s population, but consumes a lot of oil each year. It’s a national security issue when a lot of military and tax money is used to protect our excessive oil imports from corrupt governments in the Middle East. Mr Card at this time does not want car ownership expenses, based on his cost benefit analysis.

31. Tennis ball says:

GREAT to have Boys Tennis again at the high school. Several players wanted Mr Card for coach. Gerald and Gary are excellent coaches.

32. Like SLOW flowing molasses in January and a turtle on crutches, this process has been ridiculous and way way too LONG. Mr Card has not taught since mid February. Remember TEAM (Together Each Accomplishes More). TEAM should be the sprit within Clarke County School System where students are exposed to a variety of GREAT taachers. Children adore the Principal at Boyce Elementary School. Blaming, finger pointing and cover ups distract from the mission to educate school children at taxpayers expense.

33. Stonebroke says:

It was great to hear that Sam was back teaching today! Congratulations Sam! I’m sure you did one [redacted] of a job!

34. Ubiquitous stink bugs says:

Evidence and observation show that Mr. Card and the Boyce Principal are earning a good reputation.