Obituary for Clyde Eugene Harrell

Clyde Eugene Harrell, 57, of Clear Spring, MD, beloved husband of 25 years to Rhonda Tatum-Harrell; and cherished father of Leah Morgan Harrell, passed away at his home on June 15, 2012. He is also survived by his adoring sisters, Diane Milligan of Lakeland, FL and Melissa Durgin of East Sandwich, MA; his in-laws, Nancy and Robert Tatum of Leesburg, VA and a sister-in-law, Jaymie Crider of Rixeyville, VA.

Born Saturday, July 3, 1954 in York, PA, he was the son of the late Claude Harrell and the late Dolores Glass Durgin.

Clyde received his Master’s Degree from George Mason University and a Doctorate in Education from NOVA Southeastern University. He had been employed by the Washington County Public School System for the past decade, and was currently Director of Curriculum and Instruction. Previously, he was a high school principal in Clarke County, VA and worked as a teacher and assistant principal in Loudoun County, VA. He was a member of Phi Delta Kappa International and ASCD.

Clyde was a competitive tennis player, bicyclist, and avid DC United soccer fan.

A memorial service will be held at a later date. In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to the Leah Harrell Education Fund at the Washington County Teachers Credit Union, 823 Commonwealth Ave. Hagerstown, MD 21740.

Online condolences may be expressed at www.douglasfiery.com

Comments

1. The Dowling Family says:

The Dowling family is so sorry to hear of Clyde’s passing. We extend our heartfelt sympathy and prayers for Rhonda, Leah, and extended family. May the love of friends and family sustain them at this terribly difficult time.

2. Roscoe Evans says:

Mr. Harrell was a real gentleman. Roscoe Jr.’s high school years were tough for him, but Mr. Harrell was gracious and kind, and did his best to make them better. I am saddened at his death, and wish his family the very best.

3. When was he principal in Clarke?

4. Dawn Reynolds (Spencer) says:

So sad to read this. I had the honor of being a student to Mrs. Harrell in middle school then be a 1998 CCHS graduate under Mr. Harrell. He was a good man! My condolences to the family.

5. Misty Queen (Allen) says:

Mr. Harrell was a true good man. Kind and fair. I had the opportunity to work closely with him one summer as the band was going through some transitions and he helped me keep all band members in the loop. I always appreciated the kind of person he was. I count it a blessing to be able to have known him and to have shook his hand during the 1999 graduation ceremony. My heart felt condolences to his family.

6. Roscoe Evans says:

“a high school principal in Clarke County, VA.”

Come on, CDN. This man deserves a real obituary. A five minute phone call is all it takes to complete it: tell us more about his service to Clarke County High. Please show him some real respect. There will not be another opportunity.

CDN Editor: CDN, or any news source for that matter, does not write obituaries. Obituaries are typically provided by family members or organizations where the deceased played a role during life.

7. Roscoe Evans says:

CDN- Clearly, you can have any editorial or publishing policy you choose. But “any news source..” does not write obituaries? Since when? That’s just misinformation, and it sounds rather gratuitous.

Newspapers write obituaries. Always have, and still do. You are referencing paid death notices with your response to me. I’ve been a journalist. I know the difference. I’ve written both.

Mr. Harrell was a distinguished gentleman who served Clarke County High School to the best of his abilities. That was a tough job when he was here: it still is.

You’d do yourselves a bit of a favor by taking those 5 minutes I mentioned and expanding his obit, at least to mention the dates of his service to his students and his teachers.

Thanks for your earlier reply, and your consideration.

• It’s amazing to me that you believe your self-aggrandizing comment somehow shows respect for this gentleman where the obituary did not. If you have something to say about the chap, please share, otherwise don’t sully his obituary with your whining. In your own words, “Show some respect.”

• Roscoe Evans says:

Thanks to you, James, for adding so much more information about Mr. Harrell’s tenure in Clarke. And thanks for setting me straight. The next time a “daily news” organization tells me something that I know is untrue, I will just say, “yes sir. Can I have some more, please?”

8. Patrick Yerovsek says:

Mr. Harrell was a great teacher, tennis coach, person and most importantly, a mentor. My condolonces to his family. You will be missed.