Opinion: Planned Cancer Prevention, Sexual Education, Reproductive Healthcare for Vulnerable Women, Children and Men…oh and Parenthood

by Rachel Perkins, R.N.

I am not a political activist.   I am not marcher, a picketer, or a “sit down to stand up” kind of woman.   What I am is a mother, a wife, and a registered nurse who just happens to be a Federal employee.   At the onset of the most recent budget crisis, my initial reaction to the whole saga was that it was typical DC dramatics.    As the crisis progressed, and the media fueled, high noon mentality of impending government closure felt imminent, I gave more attention to the issues surrounding the problem.   The buzz around Planned Parenthood seemed to be a central topic of dissent- and the nurse in me took notice.

Clarke Daily News - Opinion & Editorial

My knowledge about Planned Parenthood was previously limited to their role in birth control and abortion services.   During our recent Federal budget crisis, the media insinuated that the stalled talks were part of a right wing, social agenda intent on holding the US Government hostage to anti-abortion activists. It’s true that Planned Parenthood does offer abortion services and education, but according to a recent Annual Report (2009), abortion care/education consumes only 3% of their total spending.   3% is a far cry from the figures that various legislators were citing during the heated budget debates.   The majority of their funds and efforts are dedicated to disease prevention and cancer screening for individuals who are underinsured or uninsured, and who have extremely limited socioeconomic options in terms of reproductive health.   Planned Parenthood provides much needed access to services that would otherwise be unavailable to many women AND men.

I am not a proponent of abortion, but as we consider the big picture in terms of the total services offered by Planned Parenthood, I would seriously suspect that they save more lives than they are guilty of taking. Cecile Richards, President of Planned Parenthood, states “the fact is that 97 percent of the health care Planned Parenthood provides is preventive, and every federal dollar Planned Parenthood receives goes toward providing preventive health care to women” (2011).  Thousands of women are empowered by the education they receive through these services to take control of their own reproductive health.   Breast exams and cervical cancer screenings save countless lives by detecting problems early-when treatment can be most effective. If these services are reduced, the consequences could be devastating.   A recent meta-analysis reviewed the effectiveness of various methods aimed at increasing cervical cancer screening among low income, ethnic minority women.   Among all interventions, including health promotion and education, social networking and peer group leaders- the most significant factor in early detection of cervical cancer was access to care (Han, et.al., 2010).   Should Planned Parenthood lose funding, this access would likely dwindle.

Women are not the only recipients of care.  Men are also seen for testicular exams, erectile dysfunction and STD prevention and treatment.   Young adults who may be struggling with sexuality or gender issues may benefit from Planned Parenthood counselors as they deal with psychological distress and confusion.   The services offered address the mental and physical health of thousands of people.

Federal funds do not pay for abortion services.   Federal funds pay for preventative health and screening services.  Abortion is a terrible thing, but any human suffering is terrible.   As a Registered Nurse, it is my duty to alleviate suffering and advocate for those in need of care.   As Congress continues to debate the ethics of this particular organization, I would urge them to do the same.

References

Han, H., Kim, J., Lee, J., Hedlin, H., Song, H., Song, Y. & Kim, M. (2010).   Interventions that increase use of  Pap tests among ethnic minority women: A meta-analysis.   Psycho-Oncology, 20(4), 341-351.  DOI: 10.1002/pon.1754

Planned Parenthood Federation of America. (2009).   2008-2009 Annual Report. Retrieved from  http://www.plannedparenthood.org/files/PPFA/PPFA_Annual_Report_08-09-FINAL-12-10-10.pdf Richardson, C. (2011).

Statement by Cecile Richards, president of Planned Parenthood Federation of  America, on upcoming senate vote to take away cancer screenings and birth control from American  women. Retrieved from  http://www.plannedparenthood.org/about-us/newsroom/press-releases/statement-cecile-richardsplanned-parenthood-federation-america-upcoming-senate-vote-36707.htm

Rachel Perkins is a Clarke County resident and has been a registered nurse since 2002. She is currently pursuing her master of science degree from the University of Arkansas and hopes to graduate in 2012.

Comments

1. Travis Goodwin says:

Very well stated.

2. Fly Swatter says:

Well…I thought Obamacare was the end-all, be-all….No sense in duplicate funding. Nice try Ms. Non-Partisan.

• Bob Kelly says:

You didn’t think. You parroted what you’ve been told to say. Turn off Fox News, spit out the kool-aid, and stop trying to be a right wing [redacted].

3. Agree, thank you for stating the facts.

4. Naked Truth says:

Gee, if you listen to a certain conservative FAUX new channel, they’ll tell you Planned Parenthood does 90% abortion.

• Naked Truth says:

Lifenews.comm is a pro-life website. What would you expext them to say? Think for yourself man. Stop being spoonfed FAUX News [redacted]!

• I’m perfectly capable of thinking for myself, thank you. Google the lady’s name for yourself, although I’m pretty certain that it’ll be hard to find on CNNMSNBCCBSABC.

I just find it amusing that the side of the political spectrum that cares more about whales and trees can’t seem to find that same compassion for human life

• Naked Truth says:

Isn’t it funny when someone like Roeder and Kopp have zero compassion for human life.. Does that offend you? It’s kind of like a real lie and a white lie for you, isn’t it? Stop drinking the Kool-Aid. Only 3% is used for the abortion. Look it uo for yourself. And don’t use your “friends” website.

• Yep, they’re nut jobs. Killing doctors that kill others isn’t the way. Putting doctors that kill others out of business is.

As for pPlanned Parenthood, my personal opinion is that 0% should be used for abortions, although it sounds like their abortion business is a lot more than 3%, depending who you listen to.

And it may surprise you since you lumped me in with everyone else, but I support abortion…………………..to a certain point. I find it slightly hypocritcal that a party that advocates getting government out of your business is all about being in your business in this case.

I also find it hypocritical of the libs to protect/advocate for convicted killers, rapists, child molestors, terrorists and other ilk and scream like the dickens about the death sentences the convicts get, and yet cast off unborn children like yesterdays underware.

My personal opinion is that abortion should not be allowed after the first trimester unless it endangers the mother. And if you want an abortion, pay for it yourself.

But that’s what differentiates libs from conservatives. Conservatives screw up ,they generally take responsiblity. Libs screw up, they want someone else to pay for it.

After all, you don’t want to be “burdend” with a baby, as Barack Obama put it

• Fly on the wall says:

Name the last conservative who owned up to a failed policy that he or she had implemented on his/her watch?

• Not that I’m a huge Bush fan, his spending was part of what got us in the situation we’re in today, but

In an exclusive interview with NBC’s Matt Lauer, former President George W. Bush admitted some of his failures as commander in chief. Promoting his memoir Decision Points, he discussed 2 passages in the book where he confessed his 2003 “Mission Accomplished” speech and his demeanor in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina were colossal mistakes he made as the nation’s 43rd president.

• Whatever Says says:

But who is really burdened with these babies? In the end its the tax payers that pay for the medical care (Medicaid, welfare, WIC, etc.) Abortion is a very sad situation, but what about all the babies and children all ready suffering in this country? Planned Parenthood is not just about the abortions, but trying to educate people and offer other alternatives to the consequences of sex.

• Bob Kelly says:

I find it amusing that the other side of the spectrum can’t fathom that what Planned Parenthood does best is PREVENT unwanted pregnancies.

By the way, Mr. Editor. I find it curious that you chose to redact [redacted]. Except for the fact that I spelled it incorrectly it is a suitable synonym for [redacted]. If these are descriptors that you put in your little book of bad words maybe you should rethink your net nanny ways.

CDN Editor: The topic in this email chain is one of the most contentious and divisive issues that our democracy has struggled with over the last several decades. CDN welcomes the discussion and encourages all writers to focus on the issues when commenting.

• Bob Kelly says:

Your decision-making process with respect to what you redact is skewed beyond belief. The terms I used had NOTHING to do with some perceived struggle you seem to have with an emotional discussion.

Words describing people who flatter and defer to others for self-serving reasons are by nature descriptive and are only perceived as hurtful by emotionally unstable nervous nellies. What’s your excuse?

• Sarge….what would you do without google and copy and paste. Your ability to function would be limited!

• And funny you should sit there and call Fox (FAUX) News because I took my own advice and googled “Abby Johnson planned parenthood” in the news section. Guess what? Nada. I wonder why? Hmmmmm, maybe the media doesn’t cover it because it goes against the lefts and Obama’s agenda. I added “CBS”, “NBC”. “CNN”, “MSNBC” to the end of every search. Zippo.

Oh wait, I did find ONE WHOLE story from ABC. From two years ago.

Is that a suitable source? God knows they carry enough Obama water.

So the question to ask yourself isn’t “What kind of cute name can I make up for Fox News today?” but rather “Why aren’t the mainstream “news” sources making mention of the woman?

Don’t think too hard, you may start asking yourself what else the media isn’t telling you 😉

• Bill Thomas says:

Uggg. Let me guess President Obama wasn’t born in this country and trickle down economics really do trickle down?

• Let me show you something here Bill. When Obama was running for election, the Honolulu Advertiser ran a story that was intended to help Obama, because as they say in Hawaii, he’s one of “Da Brudda’s”. Keep in mind that the Advertiser, before it went under a couple of years back, was not exaclty the Drudge Report. It was a blue paper in a very, very blue state

Anyway, the story they ran was about a woman who had twin daughters at the same hospital at the same time Obama was supposed to be born there

Here’s the story. I keep it around for folks like you:)

Note the first two paragraphs

Hawai’i’s Health Department confirmed yesterday that it has President Obama’s original Aug. 4, 1961, birth certificate in storage, but the announcement is unlikely to satisfy conspiracy theorists who insist Obama was born in Kenya.

“We don’t destroy vital records,” Health Department spokeswoman Janice Okubo said. “That’s our whole job, to maintain and retain vital records.”

Notice she said they have Obama’s ORIGINAL birth certificate. So she says.

Now, look on down the page. Do you see the pic on the right hand side of Eleanor Nordyke? Notice the birth certificates she has for her daughters? Take a good look.

At the very bottom of the story the paper was even good enough to put a link to an enlarged photo of her certificates

Now, look at what Obama put up for his certificate

Remember now, the lady that ran the Health Department said they have the “original” on file, not a copy, which means they have supposedly have one that looks like the one Mrs Nordyke was showing in the paper.

When Obama shows a certificate like Mrs Nordyke has shown, then I’ll shut up about it

Now, back to the abortion issue

• Bill Thomas says:

So editors at Honolulu newspapers printed a “fake” birth announcement in 1961 and waited patiently, all these years, for that baby boy to become president of the United States?

Show some respect to your commander in chief “Sarge”.

• Have you ever seen the movie “The Manchurian Candidate”?

How come there is nobody out there who remembers going to school with him? College room mates? College classmates? There isn’t one person who has come forward with ANY info on what type of person/student Obama was in school. Did he date anyone else while growing up? Where are they? Every previous presidential candidate has a past. Where’s Obama’s?

Think about it.

• Lonnie Bishop says:

(A) What’s it matter? (B) I seem to recall there was quite a bit of ink and airtime spent on his story in the run-up to the election. (Besides, do ya think that – if there’d been any real juicy dirt on him – the Clintons wouldn’t have dug it up?)

Seems you’re gripin about the lack of a “TMZ”-worthy expose with all sorts of juicy gossip. He’s a citizen, he’s a Christian, he’s the President and CiC. End. Of. Story.

• So, you don’t find it odd that nobody in Obama’s Class of 1983 at Columbia University remembers him or ever took a class with him? Shoot, George Stephanopoulos went there the same time and doesn’t remember him at all.

BTW, I’m not griping. Lord knows that politicians as a group are generally unsavory folks, no matter what side they’re on. I dislike them all, because I’m forced to vote for the lesser of two evils.

• Lonnie Bishop says:

“Odd” ain’t got nothin to do with it. I don’t care about that conspiracy stuff. Columbia’s a big school, with big classes. Heck…I’m sure there are folks I went to college with, probably in the same classes, who wouldn’t have anythin to say about me were I to throw my hat in the ring. Besides, maybe what’s “odd” is that there isn’t any skeleton in his closet. Given the antics of some others (Newt, John Edwards, that fella in Italy, etc.), it’s kinda nice NOT hearin some new tabloid story about our president.

BUt…we digress from the original article. I’m done with this “birther” slant.

• No, it’s speculated the grandparents took out the announcement. Why have your grandkid be African when he can be American?

And fortunately, Obama is not my CiC, as I retired before he was elected. But to show you the kind of respect he has from the military, a number of old troops who I stay in contact with are just waiting for Jan 2013 so they can retire and not have his name on their retirement certificate.

Probably has something to do with the girl fighting rules he foisted on the troops in Afghanistan, getting usinto another war that was supposed to last “days, not weeks” and letting open gays in the military.

All I can say is I’m glad I retired

• Fly on the wall says:

“It’s speculated…” is enough reason for you to take it and run with it? Really? Actually, Obama IS the CiC, as he IS the current, sitting President of the United States…regardless of which button you pushed or lever you pulled in the last presidential election. Those “old troops” you keep in contact with may feel that way, but I’d wager there are just as many out there that feel just fine with him as their CiC.

• Fly on the Wall, If you can come up with 10 “old troops” who are just fine with him as their CiC, in can come up with 100 that arn’t.

• “Those “old troops” you keep in contact with may feel that way, but I’d wager there are just as many out there that feel just fine with him as their CiC.”

Then you would be incorrect. Unless you keep in contact with your old troops that are in command level positions now. It’s nothing personal against Obama, they feel that way whenever a Democrat is in the White House

As for the paper, one of the things you have to understand is the culture in Hawaii. And yes, I lived there for three years up until I retired. They have this thing called “Hawaiian time”, which means something gets done ……………whenever. Even today the place is somewhat backwards, despite the facade they put on for the tourists. So it wouldn’t surprise me at all if they took information from where ever and published it…….whenever. Especially if that information came for a very influential source, like Obama’s banker grandmother

• Naked Truth says:

Let’s face it. If he were Republican and his parents were from Germany, people like Sarge would not have an issue with his birth certificate. That fact that his little buddies are commanded by a Democrat is enough for them to whine about retirement. I’m not a huge BO fan, but given the choice of the two candidates he was the better.

• “…but given the choice of the two candidates he was the better….”

And that’s what ruffles my feathers about politics, we have to choose between the lesser of two evils all the time.

• Bill Thomas says:

“Sarge” can say he doesn’t like Obama just because he’s a democrat(and birther issues) all he wants- but he knows the real reason- Come on “Sarge” tell us all why you REALLY don’t like him?

[redacted]

• restrepo says:

It wasn’t President Obama that sent my unit to Afghanistan or Iraq, it was President Bush and regardless of how I felt about him personally he was my CiC and I had my orders. I agree with you Fly, it doesn’t matter which lever you pulled it’s called democracy. Live with it or leave.

• onceandawhile says:

Well, there is this little thing called the constitution. I believe it says that if an american citizen ( mother) gives birth to a child anywhere on this planet, the child is automatically an americn citizen. If the CIC was born on the North Pole with elves assisting; he’d still be an american citizen. Any military person knows that!

• You believe incorrectly. Back in the day, 1952 to be specific, the law said in order to confer your citizenship, among other things you had to be in the US 5 years after your 14th birthday. Obama’s mom was 18 when she gave birth to him. She was too young to confer her citizenship

Of course, his Kenyan father was a British national

• onceandawhile says:

Thank-you for doin’ the math. In fact, the statue, by definition, states the american born mother to be a national (citizen) therefore the child.

Of course, my son’s father is not a national, therefore he’ stupid and can never be the resident. I’ll be sure to tell him that as I put him to bed tonight.

• Fly on the wall says:

It’s all moot…as Hawai’i became a state in 1959, and Obama was born in 1961, he is thereby a “natural born” citizen since he was born in a place that is under the jurisdiction of the United States (the 50th state, Hawai’i) to a mother who was a US citizen. Give it a rest, Sarge, because the 14th Amendment is pretty clear on that.

• “You have improperly used the word confer (as to citizenship) to confuse this audicence. Shame on you.”

I don’t believe so. Look at the following link

It says, in part

Section 301 as Effective on December 24, 1952: When enacted in 1952, section 301 required a U.S. citizen married to an alien to have been physically present in the United States for ten years, including five after reaching the age of fourteen, to transmit citizenship to foreign-born children. The ten-year transmission requirement remained in effect from 12:01 a.m. EDT December 24, 1952, through midnight November 13, 1986, and still is applicable to persons born during that period. As originally enacted, section 301(a)(7) stated: Section 301. (a) The following shall be nationals and citizens of the United States at birth: (7) a person born outside the geographical limits of the United States and its outlying possessions of parents one of whom is an alien, and the other a citizen of the United States who, prior to the birth of such person, was physically present in the United States or its outlying possessions for a period or periods totaling not less than ten years, at least five of which were after attaining the age of fourteen years:

But, we have strayed far. Perhaps CDN will bring it up in another OpEd

• Fly on the wall says:

“As originally enacted, section 301(a)(7) stated: Section 301. (a) The following shall be nationals and citizens of the United States at birth: (7) a person born outside the geographical limits of the United States and its outlying possessions of parents one of whom is an alien, and the other a citizen of the United States who, prior to the birth of such person, was physically present in the United States or its outlying possessions for a period or periods totaling not less than ten years, at least five of which were after attaining the age of fourteen years:”

Sarge, I give you credit fo your research and cut-n-paste abilities. However, as this section of code you cite clearly indicates, this refers to those persons born to one citizen parent and one non-citizen parent OUTSIDE “the geographical limits of the United States and its outlying possessions.” In 1961, Hawai’i was WITHIN “the geographical limits of the United States” because it was the 50th state of the union, and had been for 2 years. Thus, under the 14th Amendment, he would be a “natural born” citizen.

Seriously, man…give it a rest.

• Fly on the wall says:
          • Dang, Fly, you beat me to it!!

Great minds 🙂

• Quite fitting to term this piece a ‘story’ – seeing as it’s entirety is completely void of fact.

• my comment is in an odd spot..I was referring to this ‘story’: http://www.lifenews.com/2011/04/05/abby-johnson-planned-parenthood-business-model-all-about-abortion/

Sarge – you should maybe visit a Planned Parenthood facility and observe what is actually taking place. Maybe speak to the patrons as they leave.. Unfortunately, the powers that be are very well versed in using scare tactics to excite their voter base by manipulating emotions around moral issues.

The potential combination of a extreme loss of birth control access (actual preventative birth control – not abortions – that are provided by PP) coupled with a significant decrease in welfare and social programs the conservatives are pushing for will be socially and economically devastating to our country.

• On the bright side – the industrial prison complex will continue to thrive with a whole new generation of uneducated and impoverished children to incarcerate. More prisons = more US jobs, right? right..

Such faith you have Valerie. You’re right to a degree, all those aborted kids would probably all be welfare bums for dems to take care of, with more of our money of course

Or……..one of those aborted kids may have been the inventor of the warp drive, or figured out how to kill off viruses

We’ll never know, will we?

And for the record, I have no problem with the other services PP offers. But for “only” 3% of their services being abortions, that still makes them the largest provider of abortions in the US

• Faith has nothing to do with the reality of our world. Fact is children are born to young poor single mothers and they don’t fair too well, most will never live above the poverty line – which for a two person family in 2009 was only around $15,000 (barely enough for a year’s rent on a one bedroom apartment).
            As a people we need to start focusing on improving everyone’s quality of life. If we continue to turn our backs on our poor and uneducated, ultimately all the folks griping ‘not with MY tax money’ will pay the price of a poverty stricken populace riddled with violence and criminals. This is what desperation breeds.
            Instead of focusing your argument on taking out the “largest provider of abortions in the US’ – why not focus on the benefits of the birth control services they provide and in doing so – how many possible abortions they are actually avoiding..

• You do realize that “The Greastest Generation” came from overwhelmingly poor households and had on average an 8th grade education?. By your standards, they should all have been aborted. Instead, they built the country into what it is today.

Then on the other hand, if the demographic that you say will end up in poverty, then maybe we should sterilize all women that come from that demographic.

Problem solved. No worse than sucking the brains out of a fetus and flushing the rest down the drain

• Lonnie Bishop says:

You both are bein overly simplistic; you, Sarge, are just more crass and knee-jerk about it. The fact is that PP’s services were vastly overblown by those on the right to generate ratings and incite a huge hullabaloo over the funding they get. I don’t personally favor that 3% they offer, but I also don’t like the hype some talkin heads use to spread misinformation and fear and dishonesty…I don’t care if they’re blue or red, if they lie to make their point, they got no integrity.

• I never said that anyone should be aborted. I personally think abortion is a horrible thing. But so is poverty and so is ignorance.

I also don’t believe that anyone has the right to play god by sterilizing a certain demographic.

I only asked that you think about the very necessary reproductive healthcare/control services that PP offers.

• Another View says:

I am pretty sure that poverty and ignorance are better than death. You can recover from poverty and ignorance; death is permanent.

• Naked Truth says:

Wouldn’t you agree that prolonged ignorance and poverty leads to a slow death? Before you says it’s the fault of their own, there are some who are trying to get out of poverty but the system is holding them back too. This is where a PP could and does help with medical care. Not for abortions. If you are so worried about funding, what do you think about the government funding yacht projects? How many yachts do you have?

• Another View says:

I have 3 yachts, all paid for by me.

And ignorance and poverty are easily conquered by those who wish to do so.

No federal funding for any charitable or welfare purposes. It is unconstitutional and immoral.

• Naked Truth says:

Why don’t you prove it wrong with all your facts?

5. virginiacop says:

The author incorrectly states that abortion consumes only 3% of Planned Parenthood SPENDING. Abortion accounts for 3% of Planned Parenthoods SERVICES.

To put that in perspective, if Planned Parenthood volunteers hand out 100 condoms at our high school they have provided birth control services to 100 students. If they perform 1 abortion then they can argue that abortion accounts for only 1% of their services.

If the author cares to dig a little further in she might check Planned Parenthoods 2009 Fact Sheet. Planned Parenthood provided contraception to approximately 4 million “patients”.

So what does 3% of service really mean? It means that Planned Parenthood performed 332,278 ABORTIONS in 2009. According to Planned Parenthoods own records.

332,278 ABORTIONS in 2009.

According to the Guttmacher Institute (a pro abortion organization), the average fee for an abortion in 2009 was $451. Planned Parenthood gets paid for abortion services whether by insurance, private party or other sources. Planned Parenthood doesn’t provide a break down of income related to abortion services but 332,278 abortions at $451 each would be about $150,000,000. They do provide income figures that show their clinics to be their largest revenue source.

Planned Parenthood spent 45.2 million dollars on lobbying in 2009.
    Planned Parenthood spent 102.6 million dollars on management and salaries.
    Planned Parenthood spent 42.9 million dollars on fundraising.
    In 2005 Planned Parenthoods President received $935,00 in compensation with similarly grotesque compensation packages for other senior executives of this “non-profit”.
    Planned Parenthoods 850 clinics average less than one prenatal visit per month.

In 2009 there was bipartisan congressional support for $851 million in grants for community health centers across the country. In 2009 Community Health Centers performed 320,000 mammograms while Planned Parenthood did none. Community health centers offer prenatal care to women and their babies 480,000 times in 2009. Health Centers that provide real health care to the needy. I fully support providing health services to the poor in an efficient and responsible way. The money given to Planned Parenthood should be redirected to where it will do far more than provide profits for the abortion industry.

FOX news was not consulted for this posting.

6. Part of the problem as well is that the money they receive from the Feds allows them to re -allocate money they would have other-wise spent on condoms or whatever and use that money to perform abortions

7. Another View says:

The federal government should not be funding any group providing health services or abortion. The Constitution does not give the federal government the authority to fund medical care of any type, to anyone.

• Roscoe Evans says:

Really? So our military men and women will have to start funding their own medical care? When does that start?

Thankfully, we have a judicial system, so constitutional interpretation is not left to whim-of-the-day folks, like you and me.

• Naked Truth says:

For active and retired. But they are against “Obamacare”.

• restrepo says:

Why do people insist on speaking for others? I am one of the ‘they’ you insist on speaking for and that is quite the generalization, Naked. Some of us know our duty and our chain of command.

• Another View says:

I am not referring to what amounts to employee benefits. I am referring to giving monies to Planned Parenthood, the Red Cross, or to you, via Medicare and Medicaid.

And you do not need a court to “interpret” anything. Read the Constitution. It was written for the common man; no Harvard degree or Presidential appointment required.

• Naked Truth says:

I hope you live long and healthy. Medical bills will make you poor pretty quick. And if you get hit by a tornado too. There has to be a safety net.

BTW, didn’t the constitution only count a black man as half a citizen? How strict do you interpret it?

• Fly on the wall says:

The Constitution also does not specifically spell out the TSA, the national parks system, the FDA, the VA, farm subsidies, oil subsidies, etc. These programs have come about as both the Executive Branch and the Legislative Branch, without a challenge from the Judicial Branch, have created agencies and funding mechanisms (and earmarks and other pork avenues for lawmakers’ pet projects) to address needs in society. So, too, does Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid, as well as disability insurance and payments. If we follow your (flawed) logic, then those men and women in our military, who are wounded in service to their country, should not expect the government to take care of their medical care. Imagine the costs we’d experience if Medicare and Medicaid weren’t there to offset some of the medical costs of the old and the poor; if all they had were the ERs.

Federal law currently, on the books, prohibits even a penny of federal money from funding abortions. So, nice try.

FLY ON THE WALL:

All those programs you mention are also unconstitutional. Thanks for the help.

As for medical care, pay for your own. If you cannot, your family should. If they cannot, friend, neighbors and charity.

It is NOT the government’s responsibility to take care of you; you are supposed to be a free man, not a slave.

8. Another View says:

Obamacare is unconstitutional, and tyrannical.

• Roscoe Evans says:

The health care provision is “tyrannical” only if the definition of the word has recently been changed to mean “enacted by majorities of both Houses of Congress and signed into law by the President of the United States.”

Another View, I’ve read several of your posts today. They have been imbecelic. Still, I’d love a ride on one of your yachts. Any one of them. Do you have one in blue?

• Another View says:

I’ll sell you one. No one rides for free.

• Setting myself up here, surely, but have to ask: you don’t want any federal monies going to any social program? correct? Are you one for leaving this burden to individual states or are you some new breed of uber capitalist live and let die kinda fella? As in, we have no responsibilities to our common man only our bottom line?

• Another View says:

You–the individual–have responsibilities to others. But the government does not. The government is not in the charity business.

God commanded us–individuals–to love one another. God did not command government to attend to our needs.

The taking of monies by force for the purpose of using them for your own ends, even by giving those monies to others whom you deem needy, is theft. It is immoral and wrongs both he from whom you steal, and he who is the object of your “beneficence”.

• You lost me at ‘God commanded’. Which ‘God’ are you referring to?

Regardless of that glaring issue, Government is made up of the ‘individuals’ that ‘God commanded’. So, once an elected official goes to work they cease being an ‘individual’ commanded by God?

There is but one God.

When an elected official gives out of his own pocket, he is acting as an individual. That is charity.

When an elected official gives out of your pocket, he is acting as a thief. That is immoral.

• Can’t have a rational debate with a fundamentalist, that’s for sure. A fundamentalist with THREE yachts well, that’s territory I don’t want to get my hands dirty with.

Happy sailing!

• Another View says:

I wrote nothing irrational. Apparently you have no substance with which to counter.

Also, while I am sure that you used the term “fundamentalist” as a pejorative, a belief in God is hardly out of the mainstream.

• I am wholly for the separation of Church and State. By stating “there is but one God” in a debate about Federal Tax dollars, well – I’m done.

• Fly on the wall says:

OK…now you’ve really taken a swim in the deep end without your floaties.

If you read the Preamble to the US Constitution, it reads in part “…promote the general welfare.” Combine that with Article I, Section 8 (under “The Powers of the Congress”) to pass all such laws as are necessary to execute the powers enumerated in the Constitution, and – yes – the federal government does have the authority to set up the FDA, the TSA, the EPA, Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, the VA, etc. Part of maintaining the military is to provide medical care ofr those who volunteer to serve and for those who are wounded.

Government, since time immemoriam, has taken on those tasks which are too large for individuals or local communities to do. In our case, that extends to the safety of our harbors, bridges, highways, and airports; food inspections; water and air quality efforts (which “promote the general welfare”); etc.

Yes, there is but one God. His Son, whose Resurrection will be celebrated here in a few days, did say that “the poor you will always have with you.” He also said that “whatever is done unto the least of these, my brethren, the same is also done unto Me.” If our elected representatives deem that the poor, the elderly, those who become unemployed or disbaled require a safety net to help them that is larger than what their own families or local communities can provide, the Christian sensibility in me is fine with that. Does that open up things for abuse? Sure, as anything wrought by the hands of man can be imperfect and fail. However, we elect people to determine the structure of our society collectively. Your narrow, callous view of things would create a rather stark and draconian world, indeed.

• Another View says:

Obamacare is tyrannical because it robs citizens of their liberty and freedom.

Remember, Hitler was voted into office too.

• I do believe this is the first Godwin I have witnessed on CDN, and in a thread already full of birther goodness! Now, if only a 9/11 truther would drop by, it will be a REAL party!

• Another View says:

Is it your contention that a belief in God necessarily means one is a 9/11 truther? How odd.

• 9/11 truther. Nice to meet you. But not a birther. I know many respectable folks who want more information on 9/11. Please don’t lump the two together.

• Another View says:

If you wish more information on 9/11, please review the video.

I was in Washington, D.C., and watched the Pentagon burn. I know what happened; you should too.

• What video? Did you mean to post a link?

• Another View says:

I don’t post links. I was referring to the video showing the planes being flown by Islamic terrorists into the World Trade Center Towers. Did you not see that? It is chilling.

• Are you serious?
            Yes, I have seen, many more times than I’d like to count, the planes flying into the buildings. I watched it happen that day, as did most people around the world…

• Fly on the wall says:

By your definition, then, the Patriot Act that Bush ushered quickly through Congress in the aftermath of 9/11 could be construed as “tyrannical.”

9. been here a long time says:

I am curious regarding the comment re: Red Cross. All I can say I sincerely hope you never need help in a disaster situation. House fires,floods and other natural disasters sometimes require assistance. the recent earthquake in Japan for example. Please think before you link stuff together with other issues.

10. Alecia Schulz says:

Way to go! The lack of knowledge pertaining to this topics is depressing and sad. Clarke County needs to be educating EVERYONE on these kinds of thing. Whether we like it or not, erectile dysfunction and genital issues happen to everyone. We need to be advocating about practicing safe sex so that we work to stop the prevention of STI’s and pregnancy. Good for you, Rachel.