Updated: Rash of Credit Card Fraud Sweeps Area

Friday, September 9, 2011 Update:

Clarke County Sheriff Tony Roper says that reports of credit card fraud continue to stream into his office. “We have had several more reports of credit card fraud cases, totaling 14 as of Friday morning” Roper said. “This number could rise obviously, as we had 6 reported only yesterday (Thursday).

As of Wednesday afternoon the Clarke County Sheriff’s department has received five reports of credit card fraud since September 1. While the incidence of reported credit card fraud so far this month is not above average, Sheriff Anthony Roper says that anecdotal reports from area citizens and businesses indicate that a bigger problem may exist.

“This is not an abnormal number of reports” Sheriff Roper said on Wednesday. “I have heard rumor that there have been more cases, but only five people have called our office to file a report.”

Roper said that one victim reported that several people in their office had experienced a credit card fraud but that the Sheriff’s department had no way of knowing whether or not the other victims took the time to report the crime

Roper said that the reporting victim had been alerted to the fraud by their credit card issuer.

“There is no pattern in the charges, with one victim reporting local charges, and the others reporting out of state purchases” Roper said. “Typically, our office will follow up on the cases with local purchases, since we can gather evidence from clerk interviews and videos from stores. The out-of-state cases are hard to determine jurisdiction, since we do not know where the actual larceny takes place. There is no indication, for example, that these cases involved actual theft of the card or account information locally.”

“The good news for the credit card holder is that the bank covers the cost of the credit card fraud” said Bank of Clarke vice president John Hudson. “The Bank of Clarke ends up eating the amount so the customer is out nothing.”

Hudson indicated that the Bank of Clarke was investigating the recent uptick in credit card frauds but said that the fraudulent charges are coming from a very broad area and so far investigations haven’t revealed any clear patterns or sources behind the thefts.

But in a world of increasing social media communication, groups of people experiencing an event like credit card fraud can often provide information that helps authorities better understand the source and magnitude of related fraudulent transactions.

As of Thursday morning the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema FaceBook page carried the following post:

John Hudson said that Bank of Clarke’s standard practice involves working with local law enforcement agencies and the Secret Service in Bank of Clarke credit card fraud cases.

“People typically think of the Secret Service as the agency that provides presidential protection but they have a broader law enforcement role” Hudson stated. “They also are responsible for protecting the US currency against counterfeiting and other types of fraud like this.”

Hudson also stated that while the term “credit card hack” was being used to describe the recent fraudulent transactions, there was no indication that any of the stolen credit card information had come from a banking system database.

“Database hacking may be the source of the problem but it didn’t occur from a bank system” Hudson said. “It appears that the information is coming from other sources.”

Clarke County Sheriff Tony Roper said that if someone believes that they have been a victim of credit card fraud they should alert the card issuer to report the fraud and also call the Clarke County Sheriff’s department as well.

In addition credit card fraud complaints can be filed at the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) The IC3 was established as a partnership between the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the National White Collar Crime Center (NW3C) to serve as a means to receive Internet related criminal complaints and to further research, develop, and refer the criminal complaints to federal, state, local, or international law enforcement and/or regulatory agencies for any investigation they deem to be appropriate.

To file a complaint please visit http:// www.ic3.gov

Comments

1. Because I Care says:

As of the 6th of this month, I became a victim. Someone actually swiped a card with my information in Illinois and it showed up as a debit in my checking account. The amount was over $900. They tried to do another charge for $500 but that time it was denied. MasterCard Fraud Protection called me immediately to verify the fraud which alerted me to it. I’m very thankful there is a service like that in place at no cost to me! I went to my bank the next day and took care of cancelling out my card and ordering a new one. I also went on the IC3.gov web site and filed a fraud complaint with what little information I had.

My feeling is this is a crime ring of some sort. There have been over 40 cases in Winchester recently. My guess is somebody (perhaps a Alamo employee) gathered credit card information and sold it off. From there, according to my bank manager, the crooks are able to imprint a fake credit card, complete with magnetic strip and they then can sell the card or personally go on a shopping spree. Their methods have become very sophisticated. This is a form of identity theft.

I plan to go back to cash when I go to a place like the Alamo or any sit down restaurants where they walk away with your card momentarily.

2. I too got hit the 6th for about $3000.00. Mastercard Fraud closed the account as well. My wife got hit today for another $2000.00.

3. The Bank of Clarke County has an excellent Fraud Detection department, which I have unfortunately had to speak to on occasion.

Looks to me like someone at Alamo or perhaps another local business has a skimmer. Hopefully the Feds will get involved, catch the perp and allow us to throw the last of this seasons tomatos at them.

On a side note, my wife and I set up a separate checking account that we put a small amount into every month. We use this for EVERYTHING. That way, if someone gets the account number, they’re only going to get a few hundred bucks.

4. Bill Lukens says:

Another one here!.
    And I had used it at the Alamo Drafthouse & Cinima on August 15th.
    The Visa company told me that it was physically swiped at an Albertsons Grocery Store in Vero Beach, FL for over $200.
    Another attempt was made yesterday but it had already been suspended due to suspicious activity.
    The credit/debit card computers are getting smarter at flagging suspicious activity.
    The criminal also supplied the verification number on the back which tells me it was a person who stole the identifing information and that a physical card was counterfieted, not just an online purchase.
    It should not be too hard to correlate the employee/time/date/theater/usage equation to come up with the thief.
    Clarke County Sheriff is forwarding the infomation to the FBI and I submitted the theft info to the website recommended,

http:// http://www.ic3.gov

The sheriff’s deputy told me they have received over 20 reports from Clarke County, and the story was reported in the [redacted]front page.

Keep an eye on those accounts. It is interesting that most people worry about online theft but the most common issue if the person who steals your data right under your nose…

5. Bruce Armstrong says:

I also go hit on Sept 3rd from a guitar store in Colorado. Thats where the Credit Card issuer voided the card. Charged a few drinks on my card on Sept 22 at 9:10 PM at the Alamo. Still waiting to see if there are other unauthorized charges on my card. Citi Corp said the card holder will not be responsible for the fraudulant charges. Damn only been to the Alamo one time and they got me.

6. Me too, September 4th. Tracy CA, charges to Walmart (twice) and 7-11. Winchester Federal Credit Union caught it pretty much right away and suspended my card. Of course I was furious when I was in the middle of Throx Country Store buying beer and milk and my card was denied. But by the time I got home there was a message from fraud unit. WFCU credited my account on Tuesday, first thing. Now seeing all of these other cases of the same situation (last time I used my card at Alamo was in July) – should I be reporting this to Clarke County Police – or is the IC3 site enough?

• IC3 is sufficient, but perhaps add your story to the Frederick Co. sheriff’s file, since the Alamo is in that jurisdiction.

7. Because I Care says:

Oh great, my charges disappeared this morning but showed up later in the afternoon! What is going on? Now I have to call the fraud people again as soon as the charges come out of pending status. Apparently this pending status is a no man’s land and nobody can touch the funds while they are pending. Nobody!

8. I used my debit card at the Alamo in August, also. Apparently someone tried to use the number on a fake card at a Walmart in Salisbury, MD in the amount of $633 but my credit union denied the transaction and then called me ask if I had been in the store. Luckily no funds were taken from my account and the debit card has been cancelled.

9. I got hit also. Went to Alamo Draft House with the family on August 5th and got a call from Navy Federal Credit Union’s fraud alert service on Tuesday September 6th. Two purchases were made. One in the amount of $358 to JCPenney’s Catalog from CT and one in the amount of $270 to a Toys R Us in Pittsburg, CA. I’m covered with Navy Federal for the charges after filling out an affidavit of fraud and forgery for my card. Still, it bothers me that it happened. I’ve always been a little suspect of those “shady” Alamo employees. It’d be super easy to use a smart phone with hacking software to pull the data off a credit card. And they have it out of your sight for like 15 – 20 minutes while you’re watching a movie like an idiot…oblivious to what is happening. I agree with an earlier post…I’m cash only from here on out and my card doesn’t leave my person.

10. My 2 Cents says:

Wonder what Alamo’s take on this is?????

• Interesting that they haven’t even released a statement that says something like they’re cooperating fully with the police and federal investigators, or something to restore consumer confidence.

• Read the article again. It’s quite clear that they are.

“….While both Hudson and Roper stated that they had no definitive links to where the compromised credit card numbers were stemming from, managers at the Alamo Drafthouse in Winchester, Virginia apparently have reason to believe that their theater may have played a role in the credit card fraud.

“We are currently investigating the possibility of compromised credit card information in the recent past at the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema in Winchester, Virginia. We are working diligently with all appropriate parties to provide resolution to this matter. The protection of our guests’ information is our highest priority. If you suspect that your credit card or debit card may have been compromised, please contact your financial institution.”…”

11. I got hit too. I visited the Alamo Drafthouse in the afternoon on July 14. Evidentally, my bank number was stolen and someone went on a shopping spree on September 4. A fake card was made and swiped. They purchased $980 in gift cards in Wisconsin with my account information. Thankfully, my bank has reimbursed me, but this criminal needs to be caught. Just curious, my server at the Alamo was a tall, thin caucasion female with long dark brown hair. Anyone else have a similar experience? I reported the information to the Frederick County Police department and the IC3 website.

• How in the world can you remember who your server at the Alamo Drafthouse was on July 14??? I have enough trouble remembering what I had to eat for breakfast yesterday!

• Unreal that you would publish a physical description of your wait staff. I hope you have as much bravado to go in and find her and apologize when you figure out that this is more than just a sneaky waiter.

Lots of employees at the Alamo were hit too.

12. I used my card at alamo on 8-29-2011 and on 9-6-2011 I was hit with %29.77 in faudulent charges in New Jersey. I only used my card to pay for the food at the alamo, so it must be the waitstaff there and not the front ticket window.

13. Alright, line up all the Alamo employees.

Commence waterboarding

14. I must have had a timid theif. 5 charges in Tampa FL totaling $250. Credit card company shut down the card which was used at Alamo this summer. BoCC is covering the charges that went through before the card was flagged – about $85.

15. My server was a handsome twenty-something young man. Blonde and very polite…could it be possible that a “cashier” handles the actual transactions? He did ask me to check to be sure I had the correct card as he had mixed up the order. Looking back it makes me think he was nervous. It’s very easy to recall the encounter…it was just a few weeks ago and we don’t go there often.

16. I got hit for 2 charges for a total of $623 at 2 liquor stores in NJ on the 8th. Luckily the BOCC caught it and called me. I had to go in and fill out an affidavit that they are sending to the police. They said the money should be back in my account the first part of next week. I canceled my debit card and had to order a new one which will take 2 weeks to get. I was also at the Alamo like 2 weeks ago. My sister in law had it happen to her too…she was also at the Alamo. Her charges were made at a Walmart in DE. My father, a former police detective said people can carry card swipers in their pockets and it stores all the info in them and then they transfer it to someone else who makes the cards and sells them. My husband called the liquor stores and was told they couldn’t do anything and that it was their money and it would not be returned to us. And the funny thing is that at both places, a man answered, both places, the man said to call back today and at both places, there was the same background noises. Sounds a bit suspicious to me.

17. Please don’t be too hard on Alamo employees. I have a friend that works there and buys food there. She had both her debit and credit card numbers stolen. What a mess.

18. BOCC has frozen the accounts of all of those that had transactions with the Alamo during the summer. Check with the bank before you stick your debit card in an ATM

I got hit and I bumped into a guy in Potters this morning that got hit for 10 grand. Ouch!

19. I got hit on 9-1-11 for charges at 3 gas stations in the Dominican Republic. I was at the Alamo on 8-11-11 and used my debit card to pay for food. Luckily the Fraud department called me before anymore was gotten. Thanks to the BOCC for being so quick to get your money back in your account.

20. We were there (Alamo) August 1 to see the new Harry Potter movie. A young lady served us. Must be someone who has access to all transactions if there were a number of servers mentioned here. I can’t believe that all are dishonest or in cahoots with this scam.

My charges were in Clearwater Florida at a Walmart no less ($306.94). BOCC had me fill out an affidavit.

Where my card goes…I will now go. No more Mr. Nice Guy…….

• They have these small device called “skimmers” that fit in your pocket. Doesn’t take long to copy your card. The scuttlebutt in the stogie shop this weekend says they’re looking hard at one person. Just a rumor though

21. I was hit for $180…then an additional $200 in San Francisco. Unlike most people reporting here, I dont have BOCC, but Amex. It was caught right away, but its too bad that this even happened in the first place. I’m not mad at Alamo, because this could have happened anywhere, but I do hope that whoever was doing it is punished for their actions.

22. Patrick Koczera says:

Found out my info was being used to make purchases in Lebanon! Enough here for a class action lawsuit?

23. I just found out this morning that my card account was used at a store yesterday, 911 and charged a nice amount. I checked and found that I was there at the alamo on 8/8. I used my card for both buying tickets and food. I don’t get why this hasn’t been caught by now for as long as it’s been going on and for how many people. There has to be tons of people that haven’t reported it. I’ve already gone through my bank for getting new cards and disputing the charges and I’m filing with the IC3.gov site. I’d like some answers to how this can go on for as long as it has. I was told by Fredrick County police that if i file with IC3, then I should get a copy letter sent to me and the drafthouse will get one and the secret service will also be informed to help in their investigation. I urge everyone who has been targeted to do the same. It’s the only way to help them catch the thieves.

24. Just a note: As for letting the local police know…they really didnt seem to care at all. I called Clark County (where I was told to call Frederick County based on where I live)…Frederick County Sheriff’s office told me that unless the fraudulent charges occurred within Frederick County, they didnt really care. My credit card company has already taken care of ME, but I was just trying to let the police know as a courtesy that my number had been stolen here since this article seems to indicate that only a few people had reported it. Im not going to waste my time reporting something if they arent even going to take my name or any information down.

• Not that I doubt you, but I find that hard to believe. The crime happened in Fredrick Co. Or do they not consider this a crime? Or is this type of crime above the local authorities and need to be left to three letter agencies?

• If I’m not mistaken Identity theft can be prosecuted where the vicitm lives or where charges were made. So bad guy/girl could be charged with ID Theft where the victim lives and/or ID Theft, Credit Card Theft, and Credit Card Fraud where the fraudulent charges were made.

25. Patrick Koczera says:

I found out today (9/12) that my info was being used to make purchases in Lebanon. My friend’s info was being used in PA. Common denominator: we were both at the Alamo on August 20th.

26. Roscoe Evans says:

The protections we have against credit/debit card losses from fraud are a matter of federal banking law.

My guess is that the investigation and prosecution will be done by federal agencies, and the locals are simply deferring to them. Frederick County police certainly are not going to hunt down the bad boys in Florida, Pennsylvania and San Francisco.

The wait staff who are involved in this ring likely got a quick couple of hundred dollars, in exchange for, potentially, some major criminal complications.

27. I got hit, too. My card was being used in Beirut, Lebanon. It’s funny…. I pay a fee to my bank to ensure that fraudulent purchases are detected. No one found it suspicious when suddenly my card was being used to buy gasoline and furniture in Lebanon, though. Called the Alamo numerous times and got no call back. Heard from my bank that it was an inside job. Alamo has definitely lost me as a customer.

28. My husband and I also got hit this weekend, for well over 1500$ We have been to the Alamo numerous times over the past two months most recently had bought our tickets on Friday (September 9th) To go to see a movie on Saturday ( September 10th) We used the same debit card both times. After the movie on Saturday we were in line buying groceries when our card was declined. We checked our bank account on the phone to find we have four different charges coming out of New York.

29. Roscoe Evans says:

I believe that Nick Nerangis (sp?) and his family own the local Alamo. There is a zero chance that he or his management people have anything to do with this criminal enterprise, and it is just silly to lay blame on them or the Alamo. Either a low level employee was paid to obtain credit data, or the group is accessing the data remotely.

This kind of business fraud happens because we all want the convenience of a quick swipe of our cards to complete our transactions and to make the economy go. We sacrifice a bit of securit, in return for that speed and convenience, and the banks give us low cost credit transactions coupled with their guarantees that we don’t lose our money. Pay attention, complete the forms required, and all you suffer is inconvenience until you are made whole and given a new account.

Anybody who has seen the “This is Peggy” commercials knows the type of guys behind this conspiracy: creeps with a little more knowledge about electronic transactions than the average Joe. My opinion is that there’s little sense in whining about the Alamo’s wait staff.

30. This is the very reason why Fridays swipes your card right at the table. I wish all establishments did that. I almost went to Alamo recently and ended up not going. At the time, I was disappointed … but I’m sure glad now!

31. We went there in July, I got hit today for $400 in two separate transactions at the TJ Maxx in Brooklyn, NY. Is that Alamo located in Clarke County? I live in Loudoun, wondering if/where I should report it or if I should just let my bank handle it.

32. I had a significant amount of money stolen out of my checking account and it caused a financial mess with other legitimate transactions that attempted to clear my bank account. I am not upset with Alamo but with my bank. Credit and debit card theft can easily happen in any food establishment when the wait staff disappears with your card. However, my bank is slow to return my funds because they must investigate first. I can’t blame my bank for needing to investigate but I can blame them that they should have caught it before approving the transaction. A big red warning flag should have popped up when my debit card (fake reproduced card) was swiped in a machine in South Africa only 12 hours after I made a purchase for groceries in Berryville.

• I was hit up for 250.00 at a Walmart in CA. BBT called to ask me if I made the charge. After I told them no, I asked them how did they know it may be fraudelant. They said “we saw a transaction in MD and five hours later we saw the transaction in CA. I guess it depends on the bank.

33. Because I Care says:

My bank is still holing off on putting the stolen funds back in my account! I’m guessing above a certain amount, they don’t put the money back as fast. Meanwhile, my account is in limbo and I can’t use it. “What’s in my wallet?” NOTHING! Thanks Capital One!

• ElinorDashwood says:

Just wondering, who’s your bank?
      I’m kind of holding my breath at the moment. I went with a friend to see the Harry Potter movie in July. We both paid with cards, she was hit with fraudulent charges and I wasn’t. Or should I say haven’t been yet…

34. This is why I don’t use debit cards. They give anyone instant access to your money.

35. wewerethere says:

This type of crime can even happen when your card doesn’t even leave your site. My husband was a victim several months ago using his card at the pump at the Shell Station at the corner of 340 and 50. It wasn’t only Alamo…some people had their numbers swiped at Wal Mart as well.

36. Patricia Friess says:

my local bank called on Sat to say they canceled my debit card as a cautionary measure – used my debit at the alamo in July to see Harry Potter – think I used it for tickets and cash for popcorn …i think …glad they are on the ball – I didnt know this was going on …time to learn how to use cash again 🙁

37. Patricia Friess says:

I should say glad CDN is on the ball ! – LOVE you guys!

38. People — As others have already said, it’s not just the Alamo. I got hit and I did not use my card there. Of course I use my card EVERYWHERE in Winchester, Frederick and Clark County. Gas, groceries, restaurants, clothing stores, Target, TJ Maxx, etc.

Fortunately for me, the fraud department at BOC called me before I even knew. Canceled my card and refunded my $$ the next day. Excellent service!

One question – is everyone who got hacked supposed to report it to the Sheriff’s office?? Half the people I know were victims. I doubt they really want everyone calling in….

39. I went to the Alamo a few weeks ago. I bought the tickets on Fandango.com with my credit card but paid for the food in cash. I was not affected. A friend who was with me paid for her food with a credit card and got hit.

40. The best thing anyone can do is to pay cash for EVERYTHING. Write checks. Don’t use credit/debit cards, destroy them. The only piece of plastic you really should have is an ATM card. People need to wake up and become financially solvent, not live beyond their means anymore. It’s taken a LOOOOONG time, but I can finally say that the only debt I have is my mortgage, and I am a MUCH happier person for it.

41. Brenda L. Barr says:

I was hit too, found the transactions this morning. It was my debit card and when the bank took a look, it seems an entire duplicate card was made because the transactions were ‘swiped’. I also was an Alamo customer during the summer. This has not been a hardship to me, I can only imagine how this is affecting others.

My bank encouraged me to report to the law enforcement agency that has jurisdiction over my home address. I did as soon as I hung up with the bank, was given a case number and will be called if there is follow up needed. I’ve also called back the bank with the case information for their fraud unit.

I’m sorry to those who are having trouble with reporting to law enforcement, this is a serious matter. With phone apps that scan cards, thievery has become commonplace.

Please report to where you live

42. Roscoe Evans says:

I’m happy that you are happy, RW, but your advice is a bit off-kilter.

VISA et al insure your credit cards against losses to fraudsters. Your bank does not insure your checks against similar losses.

If the guy you write your check to is a scam artist, you can lose your money with no recourse, except, perhaps, the criminal courts. Unless you can get the law involved, it’s you against him, and your money is gone. If you have given him a credit card, though, your card company and its bank are obligated to investigate the matter, and assist you in recovering your money, or compensate you for the fraud.

These folks who have “lost” money through the Alamo scammer have not really, truly lost their money. It’s been tied up, until the scam is unraveled and their banks and the banks’ insurers make good on the losses. Modern federal and state banking laws are simply more protective of your interests than the laws that govern negotiable instruments, like checks.

Example: you buy a custom computer from an online factory outlet in Florida, with a Bank of Clarke County check. The factory sends you a large, heavy box, with lots of electronic junk inside, but no computer. The Bank’s obligation to you is complete, and they cannot help you further. Call the FBI, and stand in line as they investigate the matter.

Example 2: Same transaction, but you use your Bank of Clarke VISA. VISA investigates, and takes all necessary steps to recover their lost cash and prosecute criminally, while the Bank of Clarke pays funds into your account to cover your loss. If anybody loses, its 1) the economic system and 2) VISA’s insurers. But not you.

Shop wisely and stay happy.

• or shop local to you and pay cash. yes you may pay more for the items but you support a neighbor and fraud proof yourself… and you will get hopefully better service if something happens to the purchased items.

credit cards are a very small example of the current issues with our country… buy today pay for tomorrow debt! used with responsiblity they are ok.

yes it’s nice to have a credit card sitting if needed. but use it ?

• Right, I forgot about the vast amounts of personal check fraud/scams that have been going on.

43. James Bruce says:

Both my wife and I both had our American Express and our Visa Check Cards compromised in the past few weeks and were both linked to Alamo Draft House. I hope Clark County Sheriff’s Department is tearing through that place with a fine tooth comb because someone there is stealing identities and credit card information and selling it to the highest bidder.

44. Me too; I was alerted to Walmart charges in Texas totaling to just over $400, and I was lucky compared to some. My bank said they were receiving a lot of these fraudulent charges lately with Winchester’s Alamo Cinema Drafthouse as the common denominator. Sure enough I had just been there the week before…Shortly before my debit card was hit, my credit card was hit as well. This one for around $1000 over in China. Nice. Guess where I had just used that card? Double Whammy.

45. I went to the alamo for the first time in august. I just found out yesterday my card was used twice, one in leesburg and one i ga for obsene amounts so my account was frozen. Thanks alamo!!! check your employees!!!!!!!

46. Well I’ll have to join this band wagon as we were victims of Alamo as well. The sad part is that we were there during Father’s Day. Now mind you this is June. So it appears that they were dormant for a while and then when you least suspect it, they nab you. We saw our bank account being hit 3 times in September. The dates were 9-12, 9-13, and 9-14 we were hit with 99 dollars and change on all 3 hits. We called our bank and cancelled the card. The bank did mention later on they tried to hit us again but the card was denied since we cancelled. All of the theft transactions took place up in Brooklyn NY. I guess this tight economy has brought in more crime through other means. Makes you wonder how Alamo would handle this situation with the customers that had fallen victim at their establishment. If they (Alamo) are greedy we definitely will not see a dime. If they care about their business they might give all the victims a certificate of some sort. But if they do the catch is, utilize cash with that certificate.
    Alamo should realize that word of mouth can be helpful or dangerous tool to any business.

So really, was it the employees or management that did the theft or both? Don’t they have security cameras to determine how an employee manages the monies or credit card they receive?

Now in all honesty, would I recommend Alamo to someone? I’ll let you decide.
    WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?

• Why should Alamo have to compensate you or anyone else for that matter? Your credit card companies fixed the problem!! It didn’t cost you a dime!!! Just a minor headache!! That’s life.

• Hey! Wrong Winger, apparently it appears by your continuing meddling on this blog that you are somehow affiliated with Alamo as you are not a victim. Your responses have been either defending Alamo, or questioning a victim’s memory about how they can remember who their server was. (Some folks have an excellent memory) but you on the other hand do not know what you had for breakfast the previous day (loss of memory or assisting Alamo’s defense). Additionally you state that you are practically debt free as you brag about only having a mortgage (Honestly, who cares, this blog is about people who have been victims of Alamo no one cares about your financial status) then you speak about having only an ATM card. (Winger, I will let you in on a little secret, in today’s real world an ATM card also is a debit card and or credit card. This is currently used as a way of not taking cash and possibly being victim of an armed robbery.) So, when we use our ATM card we get hit with this scam at Alamo. DUH!
        Now to provide some insight to the compensation status, when one owns a business establishment and either the owner or an employee does wrong to a customer you get provided with some type of compensation for the error that was committed (Either a discount, a certificate possibly a 2 for 1 deal or other means to attract a customer back into their establishment). Now I assume that you have never been wronged as you apparently do not believe in getting compensated and since this appears to be the case for you, well then you deserve kudos. So on behalf of all of us victims, Congratulations!
        For those of us who had to look at our bank accounts, call the customer representative, continue to look at our accounts and call the customer representative again and verify no other withdrawals were done this takes time and effort. You may or may not know this but when a person budgets their accounts accordingly and checks start to bounce because of an incident like this, it is not funny but a horrifying ordeal and experience. So in TODAY’S LIFE cycle, a business should compensate those customer’s whose monies were taken away fraudulently to keep the establishment rolling. Now let me teach you a little lesson once again, you wrote
        “Why should Alamo have to compensate you or anyone else for that matter? Your credit card companies fixed the problem!! It didn’t cost you a dime!!! Just a minor headache!! That’s life.”
        Our bank will assist us to recoup our lost monies but they will not compensate us for our time, effort, headaches, calling people who you sent checks to and explaining what had transpired, keeping vigilance on one’s account daily until things are resolved, filling out paperwork sent from the bank or credit card company, then sending out the paperwork and waiting for their response (which should be positive), waiting for a new card to come in as the one that was used as a scam is cancelled, once you receive the card you have to call it in to activate it and possible getting a monitoring service to monitor one’s account for other possible scams.
        So Winger if you want to contribute to this blog utilize some meaningful information, don’t belittle anyone’s misfortunes about utilizing an ATM card, or telling them you only have a mortgage payment, you only use cash. This blog is for adults only.

• Wow, you need to chill out. Yeah, I’ve been wronged, but usually I like to find out by whom before I go making accusations. Alamo isn’t the only business that is tied to this recent activity, the whole business park appears to be according to the reports. Perhaps you should read a litte more about the problem.

No, I don’t have any connections with them, other than I like going there. And I like posting here too.

“…Our bank will assist us to recoup our lost monies but they will not compensate us for our time, effort, headaches, calling people who you sent checks to and explaining what had transpired, keeping vigilance on one’s account daily until things are resolved, filling out paperwork sent from the bank or credit card company, then sending out the paperwork and waiting for their response (which should be positive), waiting for a new card to come in as the one that was used as a scam is cancelled, once you receive the card you have to call it in to activate it and possible getting a monitoring service to monitor one’s account for other possible scams….”

We all do that on a daily basis anyway. It’s called life. Get used to it. If you can’t handle the issues that come along with having a credit/debit card, then maybe you shouldn’t be using them. BTW, my ATM card does not function as a debit card to be used at establishments other than ATMs.

It’s not a “blog”, it’s a COMMENTS FORUM.

• Right Winger I agree with Joe M this is an adult Forum.Blog whatever. You need to get a life and let the victims vent here. Whenever you’re a victim we will see what you do. Now let the adults play here.

• wewerethere says:

I would go to the Alamo again. We got hit…and guess what…we never used our card at the Alamo. We used it at Aldi right next door. We have friends who never have been to the Alamo…they card was compromised at Wal Mart. So, Joe Melon if you choose not to go to the Alamo again…that is YOUR choice.

Here we go again…people have this sense of entitlement…what are you going to give me for my sorrows. I am sorry that you (as well as I did) had to go through this minor incovenience.

• I guess you believe that a full compesation is in order, I am not stating that I do believe all victims should be compesated with perhaps a 20 percent discount coupon or a 2 for 1 deal. This is the way business conduct should be. I hope you are right about you being a victim from ALDI. but for those of us who were victims of Alamo. You bet we should get some type of compensation.

• wewerethere says:

All I had to do was contact my bank, they canceled the card. I received a new card two days later. All monies were credited back the next day. Wow…5 minutes of my time on the phone with the bank…yep, a business that so far there is no proof that any wrong doing occurred inside of the establishment should compensate me…I need a new house…I see a lawsuit coming…Joe Melon you are one unique being. May god bless you.

• wewerethere, I guess you and Winger must be from the same area. Joe is only indicating that when a business does wrong (BTW Alamo did have these issues coming out of their business and folks were exploited). That a business should perhaps provide some type of compensation. It’s actually a good business practice. Example you provide a 20 percent discount, the person comes back and generates additional income that you would not have otherwise had. If you provide a 2 for 1 we all know that folks will spend more with an additional person thus generating additional income. The business is at a win-win scenario. So I can understand his ideology for a business compensation.

47. Another Possibility says:

While no one knows who or what is behind this, it is entirely possible that a hand held wireless skimming device could have been used. All the criminal needs to do is stand in close proximity to you
    ( such as a ticket line) and wirelessly transmit you cc data. There are several companies that make a cc wallet to prevent such data theft. This type of skimming is becoming more and more popular that the old “hide the device” thing.

• Then the person with this device must frequent the Alamo because there seem to be a lot of different days people were victimized.

48. It is not ususally a skimmer used in these sitatuons, it’s generally someone who hacks into the database where the card numbers were stored when processed. And as others had said, it’s not just Alamo…it seems to be places that maybe have the same card processor as the Alamo. Alamo more than likely isn’t to blame, just like TJ Maxx wasn’t when it happened to them last year, just on a smaller scale and so most people didn’t hear about it unless they were personally effected, probably because people locally frequent the Alamo more then TJ Maxx.

49. Another Possibility says:

I think they tend to travel in groups for a period of time, stopping especially in areas around major interstates. They do not sell the data until they leave the area. A shame really. I have not been hit, but feel for the victims.

50. wewerethere, I guess you and Winger must be from the same nieghborhood. Joe is only indicating that when a business does wrong (BTW Alamo did have these issues coming out of their business). That a business should perhaps provide some type of compensation. It’s good business practice. Example you provide a 20 percent discount, the person comes back and generates additional income that you would not have otherwise had. If you do a 2 for 1 we all know that folks will spend more thus generating additional income. The business is at a win-win scenario. So I can understand his ideology.

• “…Joe is only indicating that when a business does wrong (BTW Alamo did have these issues coming out of their business). ..”

Again, you are assuming that Alamo was at fault. The same thing happened at several other businesses in the same area that Alamo is, which lends to the theory that somebody was using an RFID scanner or some other equipment to snag credit/debit card numbers. Crying foul is one thing, demanding compensation from a private business when no foul by the business has been proven is another. If Alamo deems it necessary, I’m sure you’ll hear from them.

51. Good Grief! Assume the responsibility of living. Some days are good, some are not. It’s life and these things happen everyday. I only wish I could be compensated for everytime I’m inconvienced. Whether it’s delay or loss of money I guarantee this is not the worst thing that could happen to any of us. I hardly know anyone that didn’t get hit. Protect yourself as much as you can and go forward……or live in a all cash world, your choice. Personally I thank the B of CC for being on the ball.