Red Cross Seeks Additional Blood Donations in July

With extreme heat keeping some donors at home and severe storms forcing the cancellation of dozens of blood drives earlier in the month, the American Red Cross continues to have an emergency need for donors of all blood types. If at least two additional donors give at each blood drive through the end of July – above what the American Red Cross already expects to collect – the blood supply would be sufficient to meet patient needs.

Red Cross blood donations are at the lowest they have been in 15 years. Public support from the organization’s late-June appeal helped temporarily stop a decline in the blood supply. However, the mid-week Independence Day and extreme summer weather have contributed to a decrease in donations lately.

“We cannot thank enough the blood donors who have already rolled up a sleeve this summer,” said John Hagins, CEO of the Greater Alleghenies Blood Services Region. “We appreciate the support from donors received during the current appeal. We’re encouraging all eligible donors who didn’t have a chance to give yet to step up and help patients by making an appointment, as well as those who gave earlier in the spring and are now again eligible.”

Every two seconds, someone in the United States needs blood. As the nation’s single largest supplier of blood and blood products, the Red Cross is dedicated to ensuring that every patient who needs a lifesaving transfusion is able to receive one. In fact, the Red Cross must collect more than 17,000 pints of blood each day to meet the needs of patients at more than 3,000 hospitals and transfusion centers across the country.

All blood types are needed to ensure an adequate blood supply. Donors with type O negative, O positive, A negative or B negative blood are especially encouraged to give this summer.

Upcoming Blood Donation Opportunities Near Clarke County:

Friday, July 20, 2012
Winchester, VA: 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., American Red Cross, 561 Fortress Dr
Winchester, VA: 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Wal-Mart, 2300 South Pleasant Valley Rd.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012
Winchester, VA: 1:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., American Red Cross, 561 Fortress Dr
Winchester, VA: 1:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, 230 Justes Drive

Friday, July 27, 2012
Front Royal, VA: 2:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., Gold’s Gym Front Roya, 485 South Street
**2RBC**  Winchester, VA: 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., American Red Cross, 561 Fortress Dr

Comments

1. Roscoe Evans says:

I don’t see anybody jumping on the bandwagon, so here goes:

Do it. Give blood. It’s easy, and it’s fun, and they give you a free orange juice, most every time you give.

You know, they can’t manufacture this stuff yet. And its needed every single day, for emergencies of every sort. Think local–road accidents weekly. Think national–Colorado. Think global–well, that’s beyond my imagination, but not yours. Oh. I remember: Haiti, Japan, and every U.S. military base in the world.

Some day, you’re going to need it yourself, and you’ll be grateful that the guy next door already gave. I know, cause my someday came already.

Prove you’re a red-blooded American. Give.

• Right Winger says:

No Bandwagon because the Clarke County Blood drive was not mentioned.

Third Thursday every odd month.

2. Roscoe Evans says:

I think you’ve reached the pinnacle of parochialism, RW. Congrats.

By all means, give locally, too. But, where, exactly, will you receive? Not in Clarke County, not within our lifetimes. You’ve got to go to the big cities, where they’ve got big city Walmarts, big city Gander Mountains, and big city hospitals. (Hint: the hospitals are where you can get a pint or two, as needed.)

I appreciate your snarkiness, and I’m fine with it. But your parochialism is self-defeating. Try going out sometime, and growing up.

I’ve given my blood in Clarke. But when I needed my 17 extra units, pronto, I was, thankfully, in a big city, with a big city hospital. I’m grateful to whoever gave it, wherever they were when they gave it.

Be happy where you are. But try and understand, there’s a whole world out there. You need it, and it needs you.

Work harder. Earn More. Pay More taxes. Do some good. Be happy.

And, in your case, try not to worry about socialism. Deal with realism.

It’s an odd month. Do it.

• Right Winger says:

You can try to make it about me, that’s fine. However, that’s not why I commented. I merely lamented the fact that the regular CLARKE COUNTY Blood Drive was not mentioned by a website that purports itself to presenting the “News and Events in Clarke County Virginia”.

• Roscoe Evans says:

Thanks for clarifying your lamentations. It seemed like your insinuation was that folks who live in Clarke should only give in Clarke.

My point remains. We’re part of a larger community, and especially a larger health care community. When you need your blood, you’ll more likely than not be getting it from Winchester, unless you’re lucky enough to get shot in Washington.

To clarify my lament, I find your comments about my comments sophmoric. I don’t mind you suggesting I am a socialist, as you have. I know who I am, and have no shame in believing in what is best for the most, no matter the “ism.”

Work harder. Earn more. Pay more taxes. Do some good. Eat better.

3. Sam Card says:

During the US Civil War, Clara Barton helped the wounded and sick. About 23,000 soldiers died in the Battle of Antietam on September 17,1862. Consider visting the Museum of Civil War Medicine in Frederick, Maryland. On May 21, 1881, Clara Barton started the American Red Cross. 25,000 victims of the 1889 Johnstown, Pennsylvania flood were helped by the Red Cross. In 1900, American Red Cross was chartered by Congress to assist members of the US military and to help with disaster relief assistance . Thousands of homeless were helped by the Red Cross in the devastating 1906 San Francisco earthquake. In 1991, I visited the fascinating International Red Cross Museum in Geneva, Switzerland and got to see reunited Berlin, Germany.