UPDATE: Red Flag Warning Extended

April 10, 2012 – A Red Flag Warning remains in effect from noon today through 8:00 p.m. for most of Maryland, as well as  Northern and Central  Virginia.

____________

April 9, 2012 – A Red Flag Warning remains in effect from 9:00 AM this morning until 8:00 PM tonight for most of the Northern Virginia, Metro area.

The National Weather Service issues Red Flag Warnings as a precaution when conditions become highly conducive for the rapid spread of brush fires. These include low humidity, high winds and very low moisture content in  grass and brush which could fuel explosive fire growth.

Comments

1. Plankton says:

Does anyone know if I can burn brush after 4pm or is there a total burn ban in effect?

• “All citizens should be extremely careful igniting any flames during this period, and should avoid it entirely if at all possible.”

Here’s your sign…

2. Plankton says:

I checked the Clarke County Gov’t website but found no information on this.

3. Wine Taster says:

Found this on Clarke County gov’t website. Also while cutting across Rt. 601 this morning I saw a Smokey the Bear sign that stated no burning before 4pm so I’d say after 4pm, burn away!

• Michelle says:

“A Red Flag Warning remains in effect from 9:00 AM this morning until 8:00 PM tonight for most of the Northern Virginia, Metro area.”

First line of the article, how could you miss this?

4. Plankton says:

A “Red Flag Warning” doesn’t legally prohibit me from burning but thanks. I didn’t miss it. I’ve got to get rid of a bunch of brush. It’s an eyesore and my HOA is complaining. I’ll be burning after 4 – within the law.

• Great attitude there, Plankton…your neighbors should be so glad to count you among their company.

• Right Winger says:

His HOA is complaining….that would be his neighbors. Burn away, just do it safely!

• CCHS Parent says:

Really? Why would you even risk it? I sure hope you don’t live near me and put my family and house at risk if it gets out of your control.

5. Sage of the mountain says:

Here’s your sign.

6. Mountain Man says:

Plankton………Please read the above article and allow common sense to prevail. We don’t need a mountain fire today. Thanks in advance for using common sense.

7. Voice of Reason says:

If you ever have any questions about which [not witch] burning regulations are currently in effect, consult the Sheriff’s Dept. non-emergency personnel at 955-1234.