Virginia State Police Bust Weekend Party

A raucous weekend party drew the attention of law enforcement and resulted in multiple arrests and an ongoing investigation into underage drinking.

Police responded to the area of Crums Church Road and Noble Lane at approximately 10:30 PM on Saturday June 11, 2011. Upon arrival Virginia State Police observed a large group of under age persons with alcohol.

The Clarke County Sheriff’s office also responded to the scene.

Two adults were arrested for drunk in public one was an 18-year-old from White Post Va.

The incident remains under investigation by VSP Trooper E.E. Mason.

Comments

1. livingin22620 says:

Would love to hear more information on this. As in, were the parents/homeowners even ticketed for contributing to the jdelinquency of minors? Are they claiming they weren’t aware underage drinking was going on at their home?
    There needs to be consequences for them like in the case of (redacted) and then maybe parents that think that this kind of thing is ok will understand that helping minors break the law and endanger themselves and others won’t be tolerated.
    I understand this is under investigation and I’m sure CDN will share when they know more.

• Lonnie Bishop says:

CDN, do you have any additional information? Were there charges filed against the adults responsible for providin the 3 kegs?

CDN Editor: To date the Commonwealth Attorney has not responded to requests for additional information on this story.

2. Wateredown says:

this is a huge problem in all jurisdictions.. Parents are to blame in my opinion. They always say the same thing… “I had no idea where he or she was at” I some a Clarke Deputies who says there is a 0 tolerance policy on this as in most jurisdictions..

The police are tough on this… The courts are soft…

3. livein22611 says:

And what happened to the underage drinkers? Were they arrested? The police can release more information about this without revealing the names of underage drinkers.

• Wateredown says:

In Virginia Juveniles can’t be arrested for this sort of thing. They can be issues summonses and released to their parents or guardians. For a Juvenile to be locked up like and adult they have to commit a violent felony.

Virginia is very soft on Juvenile offenders. I understand that Va. Doesn’t want to lock kids up in jail but there are ways to make them pay for their actions without jail.

Community service at the land fill, drivers license revocation, I could go on for days.
      Allot of people will say the police aren’t [redacted] to solve this problem, but when we work with the current “catch and release” program the courts have in place and we arrest the same people over and over again it becomes ridicules & frustrating. To work hours on cases to have a judge in the swipe of a pen in minutes give people probation for the fourth offence of anything just pick your poison and have that person back in your cruiser in a week is [redacted]

In the case of the kids drinking or what ever, the parents will look you right in the face and say ”what’s the big deal we all did it when we were kids” So with that mentality and the current “catch and release program” in the courts it makes fixing this issue difficult at best..

4. Tugs Dad says:

Just how many deaths do we need before something is done about this? I say Jail the parents if you can’t jail the children. I think a mandatory one year in jail for the parent will send a wakeup call. No suspension of time, no probation! Your child is found drinking you go to jail for a full year!
    I also hear about parents LETTING their children and friends drink as long as they promise to stay put for the night at that parents house. STILL WRONG RONG WRONG…
    To the court system, wasn’t one teen death enough? DO SOMETHING before it happens again!!!

5. Having teens or children pull community service, or taking their licenses away… doesn’t disable them. They’re still going to know right from wrong yet make the wrong decision either way. They don’t care. In the end to them, it’s still worth it. Send them away.

• Stonebroke says:

How do you know there was parents involved with this party? There was plenty of times in High School that I partied without the knowledge of any parents. How can you always assume that a parent is aware of what is going on?

• Naked Truth says:

Does it matter if the parents knew? Who owns the property? Most likely not the kids. So indirectly the parents are involved.

6. Regardless, an adult was aware. Otherwise… where’d they get the alcohol ?

• dmaxnjackson says:

Come on, you can get it anywhere. Brother,sister, you know the guy in the parking lot of 7-11. Not that hard to get in your beloved CC.

• Stonebroke says:

It’s not that hard to get anywhere! You act like it only happens in CC. Teenagers are drinking all over the US.

7. Thank God the Sheriff’s and Virgina State Police officers broke up this party. They very possibly saved lives by keeping these kids from alcohol poisoning, or driving home drunk on our roads, putting themselves and their community at risk. Thank you to the police, and whomever alerted the police, you are to be thanked too.
    I am appalled when I hear about parents condoning underage drinking and even supplying the alcohol. We are supposed to be the role models and hope that when kids are making their choices, they know by example that underage drinking is wrong, drinking and driving is wrong. They may make bad choices, (they will) but this bad choice can lead to very very bad consequences. I hope that kids get a non-lethal wake up call – perhaps getting in a little trouble with the law will be that. You don’t want them to have a wake up call that they don’t wake up from…..

8. Seriously? This is nothing new. Do you all even remember being 17 or 18, 19, 20? Let me guess, none of you had a beer at a party under the age of 21? In college either?! Not just high school.

I lost a female friend in a car accident when we were 15. The driver was older, I think he was 21 and drinking one afternoon while driving through country roads. I do not think she had much, if any, alcohol. Just driving around a small community, bored out of their minds. Car left the roadway and hit a tree. That was 25 years ago and that still happens today.

From what I can tell, raising the age to 21 what 30 years ago did not work. This is why we are still having this discussion. I am not even sure when it was raised but it never mattered when I was a teen or in college. Booze can be had at anyone’s home from the fridge or the beer fridge in many peoples garages. It can be stolen from a neighbor’s house when they are out of town or purchased using a friend that is 21. Get real. Making stuff illegal or jailing an adult for a year because their kid got drunk or got others drunk is blindly ignorant. Maybe the parents really did not know. Clamping down too hard will only drive the teens elsewhere. Or into hiding while drinking or driving while drinking like my friend above. That is when people get killed. They have no escape from the pressures and emotions of that age group. No place to go. Us adults over 21 can have that weekend beer or six pack to relax and escape. Not them.

One teen recently told me these laws are written by politicians; forgetful, virgin, innocent politicians. HA! I agree. And they pointed out how much money goes into fighting this war with little or no end in sight. Not even a dent in drinking. The fight is a business that also employs tens of thousands of people in this country. I see this teens point.

People under 21 have been hurt or killed, sober, just acting stupid, driving too fast or not buckling up. Anybody seen the movie Jackass? Half Just look on Youtube at stupid people.

Not all teens are crazy or ‘alcohol poisoned’ drunks because they have a beer at a party at the end of the school year. And, in my opinion, NO, they should not be arrested just because they get caught with a beer on private land. If they are drunk and disorderly, arrest them. And having a party after friends graduated is not new. Or one at the end of the year for college. (not all parties are for 16 year olds!) I think teaching teens to not overdo it, and them knowing their individual limit, is safer. And NOT TO, under any circumstance, Drink and Drive. That is out of the question. So pitch a tent and be safe about it and don’t overdo.

I do not recall ever drinking and driving because my parents made it clear it was not an option. My realistic dad offered to come get me with no questions asked 24/7. I am now knocking on 40 and have several kids of my own. I think the drinking age of 21 is not realistic. It is not working. So many people, millions and millions if not billions in the world who are below a Junior’s age (21) in college drink or have had a drink. If you did not drink, not even a sip of a wine cooler, under the age of 21, you are a saint.

• unbelievable says:

Thank you for a realistic view of this situation. [redacted] Please don’t get on your high (adult)horse and forget what it was like as a teen. Why does it always go back to the parents being the ones to blame? Even good kids, from good families, make bad decisions. Even good parents, who are active in their kids lives and talk to their kids will have their good kid make a bad decision at some point in their life. Now the issue is to keep the kids from turning a bad decision into a deadly decision and the only answer there is…educate them. How quickly some have opted to arrest the kids, arrest the parents, community service. This may deter the specifc kid from doing it again but how do you prevent the masses from doing it….educate them. Bring MADD to the schools, let the kids here from real teen survivors, or from those who now live with the guilt of their bad decision. There are no community programs offered to educate our kids. I know some of you wills say, it’s up to the parents to educate and I agree that it should not be in place of, but in addition to, what the parents teach. Perhaps if we come together as a community, instead of drawing the lines, we can offer different perspectives on the problem and offer different solutions and different ways of communicating it to the kids.

• John 8:7 says:

Reply…Kudos to you. I totally agree with you but you are fighting a losing battle in this county. Apparently the majority of the people in this town have NO FAITH in our young adults or the parents who raise them. As far as I’m concerned it is due to their own insecurities in their ability to raise their own children. I too will be there to escort my children if they have had too much to drink .They know to call me because THATS HOW I RAISED THEM. I have never had to rescue them from parties because THATS HOW I RAISED THEM. They know when to “pitch a tent” because THATS HOW I RAISED THEM. Neither one of them have had an alcohol charge because THATS HOW I RAISED THEM. I, too, have never had alcohol charges against me, AND was legally able to drink at 18 because THATS HOW I WAS RAISED. But you are right when you refer to the saints. Again this does not pertain to ALL YOU PERFECT PEOPLE WITH THE PERFECT CHILDREN. Why would you be so concerned with these columns if YOU ARE PERFECT. You all already have it made and always will…afterall…you are PERFECT

9. ElinorDashwood says:

• One person is killed every half-hour due to drunk driving
    • Each year approximately 16,000 are killed in alcohol related crashes
    • Alcohol is a factor in almost half of all traffic fatalities
    • Every other minute a person is seriously injured in an alcohol related crash

from dui.lifetips.com

As is evident from statistics, the problem is nationwide and not just kids. I believe there is a reason behind the 21 age limit, whether it is effective or not. Our frontal lobes of our brains are what help us to use good judgment and form ideas, and also regulates self-control. It is a biological fact that a male’s frontal lobe isn’t fully developed until the age of 21 (with girls it is slightly sooner, around 18).
    So, the reasoning is that it is hard enough for teens to make good decisions and use self-control. Can you really expect them to make good decisions about whether or not to get behind the wheel while under the influence of alcohol?

• another view says:

If their brains are not developed by 21 then why are they allowed to vote, serve in the armed forces, be prosecuted as adults for crimes and be treated as an ADULT in everyway … except drink a beer? On second thought maybe young people are not responsible … look at who they voted for in-mass at the last Presidential election! Raise the drinking age to 45!

• Even if you lower the drinking age limit to 18, your argument has nothing to do with this event, because almost all were younger than that. Perhaps you would like no age limit, no laws?
        And those who think that teens are just beer connosseurs and gather in a field to discuss the subleties of a good micro brew over 1 or 2 beers, you are very naive. I think most parties such as this are for the sole purpose of socializing and getting wasted. Sorry, if you don’t think so, but I have had the experience of a neighbor teen taking advantage of a parent out of town to have such a party We didn’t know until after the fact – we thought the parents were having a party. Cars up and down our lane all night (guess they didn’t have a “realistic dad” like @repeat) Heading out the next day we picked up a walker (smarter kid than the others for not driving) and even at 9 am, there was strong alcohol on his breath. Do you think all those other cars going up and down the lane during the night had designated drivers???
        And, MY OPINION is that 18 year olds should not go into war zones. How could they be mentally ready for that? So raise that age limit.

• another view says:

There are four countries in the world where you have to wait till 21 to drink alcohol; Fiji, Pakastan (for non-Muslims, prohibited for Muslims), Palau, Sri Lanka and the United States. Most countries let you drink at 18. Many like Germany, Spain, Norway, Portugal at 16. In England you can legally drink with your parents permission at age 5! Source: (http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/LegalDrinkingAge.html)

Only in America are young adults treated like juveniles!

• ElinorDashwood says:

Did you happen to notice that Fiji was cited under “no age limit” as well as under the “21″ age limit on the website you used as your source? Never mind, it’s irrelevant. Here are some statistics on “alcohol related fatalities”. Wanting to compare apples to apples, I could only find as recent as 2008 to compare the UK, Germany and the U.S.
            -The UK had a population of 60 million and 9,031 alcohol related fatalities that year.
            -Germany had a population of 82 million and 4,477 alcohol related fatalities (This was down almost 50% from prior years because in 2007 they banned alcohol for new drivers.)
            -Lastly, in that same year the U.S. had 13,846 alcohol related fatalities but our population was 302 million. I think this proves that a drinking age of 21 saves more lives but I say again, don’t take my word for it.

• another view says:

It is not a question of drunk driving. It is a question of civil rights. The American government has passed a law that discriminates against a certain group of individuals solely because of their age. In EVERY other way they are treated like ADULTS (legal, voting, military, etc) There are individual teens that are very responsible drivers, but might want to have a glass of wine at dinner, they can’t. They drive and blow a 0.02 and they are arrested for DUI. A person in their 70’s can drink two glasses of wine and blow a 0.06. They are legal.

Pure discrimination.

Concerning alcohol related crashes I suggest you look at: http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2011/tables/11s1113.pdf

I concede young people on a percentage basis will have more alcohol related crashes. They go out more to social situations instead of drinking at home! But if you compare them against other age groups the difference is not that great. In 2008 34.4% of accidents of 21-24 year old involved alcohol, 30.8% of 25-34 year old, 25.3% of 35-44 year olds. So with these statistics do you suggest that alcohol is banned for anyone under the age of 45? How about by sex? Males are 23.4% more likely than 12.1% of females to drive under the influence. How about men can’t drink alcohol?

Why don’t we do what Saudi Arabia, or Afganistan, or the United States did in the 1920’s and ban alcohol all together? That worked out real well, and in Mecca you would get your hands cut off.

If they did this against any other demographic group; race, religion, older age, etc, there would be an uproar their civil rights are being violated. Government, laws and the people who make them are a bunch of hypocrites.

• ElinorDashwood says:

I agree with you on one thing. Kids (yes, kids) should not be sent to war before the age of 21. I am glad that you will do research and cite a source to help support your theory but you are missing my point. The only reason I went into the stats for alcohol related fatalities is because you brought up these countries as being so much less oppressive than America in their views on drinking, which they are indeed.
            If you do the math and adjust the number of deaths in these countries to OUR population, Germany’s alcohol related deaths would have been 15,670 (but if they hadn’t started the new driver alcohol ban the year before it would have been more like 30,000) and the UK would have had 45,155 deaths. Compare this to the US with 13,846. There is plenty of proof out there to support that a drinking age of 21 saves lives, but that’s not the point I am trying to get across. You think it’s all about adults trying to ruin your fun or being hypocrites, but we want all of you to have a chance to let your brains grow to their best potential so that you can have a good education, a good and fulfilling career and a real future.
            I am sharing some studies on the effects of alcohol on the adolescent (developing) brain.

This study is by NIH http://www.enotalone.com/article/11152.html

If you can find even one reputable medical study that says no physiological harm is done in underage drinking, I’d like to see it.

• I don’t disagree with your point…but if it’s law, it’s law. You don’t have to agree with it but you have a responsibility to abide by it. If I don’t think it’s right that I can’t shoplift, does that give me the right to do it? Based on your thoughts, I would say yes, it does.

You can disagree all you want and decide to break the law but then you have to pay the consquences…but underage drinking is different. Because of the action of a drunk teenager (and adults too) alot more people might have to pay the consquences.

Take a college psychology class or two and you will learn adolescent brains do not fully develop until early 20’s and the last part of the brain to fully develop is the part that controls decision making. Watch the average teenager over the course of a few days and that’s pretty apparent.

• Fly on the wall says:

Technically…you list 5 countries. Yougn adults ARE juveniles.

• another view says:

ju·ve·nile (jv-nl, -nl) adj.
            1. Not fully grown or developed; young.
            2. Of, relating to, characteristic of, intended for, or appropriate for children or young people:

Directly from the dictionary.

Young Adults are not juveniles. Juveniles are children. Stop treating 18 year olds as children. Treat them like ADULTS, or treat them like children and take away their ability to vote, serve in the military and be treated as an adult by the judicial system.

• Fly on the wall says:

young adult
            –noun
            1. a teenager (used especially by publishers and librarians).
            2. a person in the early years of adulthood.

We can go all around the mulberry bush all day over the semantics of “juvenile” vis a vis “young adult.” The simple fact is that, in the eyes of the law, 21 is the legal age to drink alcohol outside of one’s home and not in the presence of a parent or guardian. It might be oxymoronic that 18-year-olds can die for this country but not quaff a brew at the VFW hall, but it is still the current law of the land. Get the laws changed, THEN your rants have standing. Until then, quit whining.

• another view says:

That is my point. The current law is discrimanatory, just like they used to make certain people have to sit in the back of the bus, or women didn’t vote, or many other injustices over the span of this country. Because this age group does not have clout with politicans that groups like MADD do they are purposely denied being treated like ADULTS. Everywhere else in the laws 18 years olds are treated like Adults, except they can’t by a beer. Period.

• I will treat an 18 year who ACTS like an adult as one. If you act childish and immature, you can’t expect to be treated any differently.

• They did not post the ages of the people at this party did they? So one can assume some were home from college. Not 12 year olds getting plastered. I never had a party at my parents house when they were out of town because my parents raised me better and rarely left me at home alone. I worked a lot and attended many parties only consuming a beer or two. But I had my share of tent pitching nights. Plus, I had my own apartment at 18, after graduation, not bumming off my parents. The reason why those cars may not have had a DD is because of naive parents like some on here that think their kids would never drink! Totally unrealistic. And you should have let the ‘walker’ walk it off instead of being nosy neighbors. Especially if you live in the county way down a lane. Why is it any of your business if somebody even if they are 18 throw a party on their land or their families land? If they are bothering you or your property then be concerned. I do think an 18 year old should fight for our country if they want to. They are mature enough. Back in WW1, WW2 & Korea, many fighters were 16 & 17. So stop babying the adults. 18 is an adult. So is 19, 20, 21, 22….

• @repeat – fyi – we weren’t being nosy neighbors. We are kind people. The kid was walking down our long lane and we asked if he wanted a lift. It didn’t dawn on us that the previous nights party was a teenage beerfest until we smelled alcohol on this kids breath and put two and two together, and found out later from another neighbor what was going on. (And we didn’t lecture the kid either, before you assume that too) And BTW – if a kid is in their home and has a beer with his dad, I am not looking in the window ready to call the authorities. This is the other end of the spectrum we are talking about.
            And it IS my concern – and should be yours too – if there is underage drinking going on and those kids are driving home impaired and could kill themselves or someone else. I just don’t get that people are defending breaking the law, especially when it could end up in lives lost. Perhaps you would change your tune if you lost a son or daughter or wife or mother to a drunk driver.

• “…Perhaps you would change your tune if you lost a son or daughter or wife or mother to a drunk driver…”

Ha! These kids lost one of their own a year ago and judging by their recent actions they haven’t changed anything.

• very sad.

• Fly on the wall says:

But only the 22 year old can legally drink alcohol outside his/her own house. It’s the law.

• Repeat…it’s hard to try and take in your point that 18 year olds are adults, when your post sounds so childish. 18 might make you an adult in the eyes of the law, but most 18 years olds still have alot of growning up to do…19, 20, 21, 22….also! It’s not like you wake up on your 18th birthday, a flip is switched and you automatically ACT like an adult.., that comes with life experiences and lessones learned. But just because kids are still kids doesn’t mean they don’t know right from wrong. And..if more of these “adults” would act as such, these problems wouldn’t exist! It’s not about age so much as it is about responsibility and making mature decisions. Heck, some 30 years olds don’t act like adults.

• ElinorDashwood says:

It isn’t a question of “If their brains are not developed by 21 …”. It’s a basic physiological fact. They aren’t. It is also a fact that drinking alcohol while the brain is still developing can cause irreversable damage but you don’t have to take my word for it, look it up for yourself. I am amused (and a little saddened) to hear so many teens fight for their right to a diminished intelligence.

• Elinor is right…the brain isn’t developed yet…I posted that exact point previous to reading her post. One of the first things I learned in psychology classes in college. Not a “if”, it’s fact.

• respectful says:

If this solution worked (with the drinking age being at 21 for 30 years) then these statistics would not be so high. So clearly, clearly this mentality that making something illegal and assuming just because it is illegal no one under 21 will ever drink again is not working. So control it. Teach it. How many parents sit at home and drink wine? How many of these mommy’s and daddy’s down a bottle a night just to cope. How is that teaching your children and young adults. Seriously, look in the mirror. How many 18 year olds have not had wine? Give me a break! And get your head out of the sand people. I agree with below – raise the drinking age to 50 and see what happens! What are the average ages of the people convicted of DUI? My brother in law got a DUI w/ accident with another DUI (both ironically had too much to drink) 2 years ago. He is over 50. Not under 21.

• ElinorDashwood says:

When the speed limit is 55, people drive five and ten miles over that. When the drinking age is 21, 17 and 18 years olds think, “I’m pretty close to that…its ok.” If you change the drinking age back to 18 then you have 14 and 15 year olds thinking, “I’m pretty close to that…its ok.” It’s human nature to push the boundaries. You are absolutely correct about parents teaching their kids, respectful. My husband and I drink alcohol in moderation but our kids have never seen us drunk because we know when to stop, they have never seen us get behind the wheel after drinking at all because we don’t. We also don’t say, “That’s a stupid law”, about the drinking age (or any other laws) because we want our kids to understand that you can’t pick and choose the laws that you wish to comply with. Setting the example by your actions, is teaching your kids. Keeping lines of communication open, even on the hard subjects like drinking and sex, is teaching your kids. The “do as I say and not as I do” doesn’t work and never will.
        You addressed the statistics as being high, bear in mind that there are 90 million more cars on the road than there were 30 years ago when the drinking law changed.
        As to your brother in law, stupid decisions are not limited to adolescents. At fifty years old I’m sure I still make some stupid decisions, but I try to keep them to a minimum.

10. Don’t quite know how to respond to repeat, but feel I should, even though this wasn’t directed at me specifically, but to those of us who are upset about the underage drinking in this county.
    I didn’t say I was a saint. Yep, I drank beer in HS when the drinking age was 18 but I was still under that, and I even drove when I knew I was impaired. (I smoked pot too – it was the 70s.).Thankfully I didn’t kill myself or anyone else and it gives me shivers to think about it to this day. My kids also drank during their HS years and I don’t know, but maybe they drove too or rode with friends that did. But I would never twist my reality and point the finger at politicians and drinking age limits as the problem just to make myself feel better about condoning and/or aiding the behavior. I understand that kids try drinking and smoke pot etc, but I don’t agree with giving kids the green light to. Simply, we need to be the responsible adults. You honestly think it is your parental duty to teach your kids to know “their individual limit” ? That is rich.
    And if you think it is okay for adults to supply kids with alcohol, you are teaching kids it is okay to break the law. That is wrong.
    Bottom line – those of us who are upset with underage drinking are concerned about the kids and that they may hurt or kill themselves or us.
    BTW – If you are my neighbor and I know you are doing this, I will call the police. Kids may not know better, but you should. And you can tell all your theories to the judge.

• Tony Parrott says:

Bed p, I couldn’t agree with you more.
      I was 18 before I had my first beer. Did that make me a Saint? No, far from it because when I got out of boot camp I made up for any lost time. Being in the Navy and stations in a state that allowed active duty military to drink at 18 made it easy. But even though my “Uncle Sam” allowed me to drink I was still responsible for my actions and the military has ways to make you accountable when you screw up.
      I don’t believe all parents are to blame. I know some parents that have walked through the valley of death to straighten out their kid to no avail. I also know there are parents that rationalize the problem with: “I drank in school, at least they didn’t drive, better they drink at home where I can see them and know they are safe” or my favorite “everyone else is doing it”.
      As for me I will have two in the HS next year and two coming up. Will they always make the right choices? God I hope so but I wouldn’t bet on it. But I can guarantee you that my kids know that they will be held accountable for their actions especially when it comes to drugs and alcohol. Setting expectations that this isn’t acceptable behavior up front I believe is important. Using examples like this party that got busted also helps us set those expectations by talking to our kids about the consequences.
      This is my point; if the kids know they will not be held accountable then they will not think about the consequences. Knowing they are accountable and the consequences doesn’t guarantee that they will make good choices but it could cause them to hesitate and within that moment it could save their life. To me that’s worth all the effort.

• ElinorDashwood says:

Very well said, Mr. Parrott. Bravo. Your last paragraph says it all.

• WOW! Yes its unethical for juveniles to violate underaged drinking let alone, for any 21+ person to contribute to the delinquincy of a minor [redacted]. I’m going into law enforcement myself so yes I support the law. I disagree though with saying that a juvenile drinking at a party deserves the same sentences, as a class 1 misdemeanor such as DWI 2nd Offense, alcohol related sexual offense, alcohol related assault & battery from some idiots blackening eyes, over egos at the bar etc. wow if not harsher punishments though from what I’m seeing here. As for the source, [redacted] yes attack the contributor, the source needs to be taken care of. By the way if any of you have the 2 millions dallors to build another juvenile detention facility, by all means go for it. Long story short here folks, where’s the practical and realistic rationalization in here?! Even more worse….sure if the parents are the contributor, that makes them the what?….the soouurrce. Charge them! Parents are yes, responsible for their children. Hold parents and the children liable for their actions but to stand them next to a grown man charged with Class 1 Mis. like possession of a schedule III drug and/or brandishing a firearm or concealing a firearm without CWP and sending them to jail for a year is straight up depressing. Also, people have to do things such as work. I know if I was a parent, I wouldn’t be hiring a babysitter for my 15, 16, 17 yr old, let alone 18+(anything below yes) to make a sandwiche for them while I’m gone. Alot of what I’m observing here also, is a little too much of what they call “premature judgement” If it bothers you that bad, go have a talk with Tpr. E.E. Mason and get the full details of the investigation. Warning though, juvenile cases are not open to the public, so best of luck!

11. @Steve – I agree with you. Adults should be arrested/charged if involved, but not the underage kids. They are probably all very good kids who made a wrong choice that night, but they still need some type of consequence. As I was cutting thistle in the field (a never ending battle!) last evening after getting home from my day job, I thought that community service wouldn’t be a bad thing for these kids, specifically in the form of having them help out our local farmers this summer. Just a thought.

12. Anonymous says:

Deb P
    Why would you tell the delinquaints that you would call on them? Wouldn’t you want it to be a surprise? Kids do read these articles.

13. @anonymous. Huh? I didn’t say I was going to call on them. I just had a thought that the kids could be given community service in the form of helping farmers out. I’m not a farmer – I have a little 3 acre place. I offered a suggestion. sheesh.

14. Embarassed says:

Now it’s my turn. Sounds to me like “repeat” and “another view” are either kids trying to sway adult support or they are the type of adults who would allow the kids to have a party and when someone gets hurt or they get in trouble the first words out of their mouth are “Duh – I didn’t know.”
    Wake up! – Yes part of the reason that the legal drinking age is 21 is due to the brain not being fully developed but also because of the brain not being developed the poor decisions to drive compounded by the lack of driving experience. Go ahead someone say that we can take the keys from the or some other “method of prevention”. Are you also going to be the one to approach a 6″3″ 260 pound football player and tell him he is cut off because he may get alcohol poisoning? I doubt it. Are you going to be the one to call the parents of the young girl who is on some type of medication and has a a few drinks, then has a reaction with the combination and dies. Don’t say it wouldn’t happen to you becuase no one expects to get in a car accident either.
    Just as with many problems in our country there is no definitive answer – only the best one that we have in place now. If you don’t like it and want to diobey the law then don’t whine and cry like a baby when you get caught and punished. With the economy the way it is I don’t think there are too many people that can hand a multi-million dollar wrongful death lawsuit.
    My suggestion is contact the Commonwealth attorney and tell them we want to set a standard that Clarke County is hard on this type of thing and crack down hard. Also contact Senator Jill Vogel and let her know there needs to be high minimum punishments for the “juveniles”, the providers of the alcohol, and the stores which sell it to minors.

• @Embarassed, I am nearing 40 and have 4 children. I would not permit a party or drinking by anyone else since it is against the law however my own kids will learn from ME because that is what a responsible parent does. not getting them trashed. And for your added information, I raced professionally since the age of about 9. I had good skills because my dad taught me. When I turned 16 I could handle my vehicles and knew what was dangerous. I am a college graduate. I have my own business. I paid my own bills and lived on my own since 18. Bought my first house at 25. I am not perfect and boy did I have some fun growing up (including with alcohol) but I have never been arrested for DUI. Not even open container. I do not drink daily, weekly or even monthly. So NOT ALL adults and young adults are the same. Not all adults and young adults brains are so tiny and underdeveloped they can’t tell right from wrong. I ran a multi-million dollar company at 22 and had two dozen employees. Yet I had a drink at a party when I was 18. Again, I was taught by my parents and I had lost a friend to this very thing at 15. So MY SUGGESTION is to tell the representatives that us reasonable parents want reasonable laws. Again, don’t pamper the ‘children’ and teach them wright from wrong.

• another view says:

I am in my late 40’s and have 2 kids. I lived in Europe for many years and I learned to drink from my father and grandfather. I remember going to pubs in England and having a 1/2 lager, 1/2 7-up drink called a Shandy when I was 11. I remember being in France where we would regularly have wine at the dinner table, albeit a little watered down.

If you look at the statistics in my previous comment, it doesn’t matter if you are 18, 21, 31 or 41 a large amount of accidents in the US are caused by drunk drivers. The difference between the age groups is marginal. The problem is not drinking, it is drinking and driving! In England, EVERYONE knows if you get caught drunk driving at a minimum you lose your license for 12 months, second time you won’t get your license back. It is not like the US where you can take a class, pay a small fine, blow into a breath-a-lizer to start your car and get your license back in a couple of days. The whole time I was there is my 20’s I NEVER knew anyone who would drink more than 2 beers and drive. When my kids get old enough to drive my rule #1 will be if you EVER drink and drive you will NEVER drive again. Period. As for parties, I would never provide alcohol because #1 the current stupid law says it is illegal and #2 unless I knew the parents felt exactly as I do, I would not violate their responsibilities to raise their children as they see fit.

My main argument for the drinking age is CIVIL RIGHTS. If you are going to send these young men and women off to war to possibly die for this county, treat them as ADULTS in the court system and especially give them the responsibility to VOTE, but then say they are not MATURE enough to drink a beer is ridiculous to me. It is the heights of hypocrisy.

15. Talking Points:

1. No one is talking about the adults involved and I wonder why. There were three kegs and three adults who co-hosted the event. One of them is a current CCHS teacher.

2. One of the youngsters involved is an athlete of considerable stature who has a prior involving alcohol. When the parent came to pick him up he was so mouthy that she told the police to cuff him and take him to jail.

3. Most kids will pay little attention to the loss of a peer, no matter how tragic. For most young people their sense of invulnerability is far stronger than their judgement.

16. ElinorDashwood says:

Tread lightly, Mr. Kelly. The individual you speak of is a FORMER, CCHS employee. Not currently employed by the school system. Not a teacher and was not in a teaching position while they were in the school system. [redacted]
    I agree with point 3.

17. Heed your own advice, Elinor.

My info comes from a parent whose siblings attended, and this same parent conversed with the parent involved in point #2. What can you add that would impeach that?

• ElinorDashwood says:

My info comes from a parent whose child attended, and this same parent conversed with the parent involved in point #2, as well.

Just for the sake of clarification, what was redacted was addressing point 2 and not name calling as it appears, I don’t believe in that. I wouldn’t have even called you pedantic as you addressed yourself as your posts are generally fairly perceptive.
      It truly is not my place to add anything in the way of information and I don’t know the family that threw the party, except by name. I have a teen but as the saying goes…I don’t have a dog in this fight.
      I’m sure all the facts will come out in time.

18. Pedantic Bob says, “Oops. Siblings is not correctly used in the above sentence. Kids or offspring would have been better choices.”

19. Wateredown says:

Bottom line from the police perspective! If we catch you were busting you! All cops have come to terms with the Courts weak stomach for being tough on the kids, but with that said we will charge you every time we catch you regardless of the courts! And if you’re an adult be forewarned….. if you are over 18 you are an adult– so if there are 20 juveniles at the party that have consumed any alcohol you will be charge with contributing to the delinquency of a minor Va. code section 4.1-306 twenty times….

So drink up…. The cops are coming!!!

20. livein22611 says:

Adults were charged. There should also be charges for contributing to the delinquency of a minor, or in this case “minors”. Where do we stand with the investigation and charges? CDN needs to follow-up on this because CC cannot continue to let these incidents fall through the cracks. It has to be frustrating for officers to find these parties and arrest the offenders only to have the Comm. Attoney and state water down everything so it can happen again. Publish the names and embarass the heck out of them. It’s public record. If the courts won’t stop this from happening then the people of this county can.

• Fly on the wall says:

Except…”people of this county” are exactly the ones who have enabled these parties, whether in fields or in homes, to go on for quite a number of years; allowed their kids and their kids’ friends to get wasted weekend in and weekend out; and otherwise turn a blind eye. Heck, it was some of “the people of this county” that sold t-shirts at the Fair years back that read “Clarke County – a drinking community with a farming problem.”

Hopefully, this mindset is changing, though.

• Stonebroke says:

CDN= Clarke Daily news…Not CSI

21. Mr Mister says:

Totally agree. I would like to know who the adults were.

22. Yeah, publish the names so real parents can keep their kids away from them. It’s time to start shaming these people, if they have any shame that is

23. Wow! It’s good to see that there are more people on CDN and in Clarke County who find this behavior reprehensible, and not just me. Maybe there is hope.

24. Stonebroke says:

They don’t find the behavior reprehensible, they are just nosy people!

• Denise Enger says:

Please speak for yourself, Stonebroke….I a.) do find it reprehensible that adults would be involved in providing alcohol to minors, especially after what this community has been through, and b.) am only interested to the degree that I want to know who/where to keep my kids clear of…..

• He speaks for himself and the children who don’t want to stop drinking. Aaron means nothing to them.

• You don’t need to use Aaron Shirley to punctuate your point; allow him to rest in peace. If the Shirley family wants to put that message out to the youth in the county, then they will. The rest of us should have the dignity to allow them the privacy they deserve.

• Right Winger says:

“…If the Shirley family wants to put that message out to the youth in the county, then they will…”

With all due respect to the Shirley family, I’ll continue to ram my point across any way I see fit. I don’t want to read another headline about the needless death of a kid. I would hope nobody else does either.

• Roscoe Evans says:

Bob was very much the gentleman, RW, and it would be reasonable for you to give more consideration to the feelings of a family that lost its son, not “a kid.” As a father yourself, you ought to be concerned more about propriety and courtesy, and a whole lot less about ramming your point across.

• Right Winger says:

Propriety and courtesy mean nothing to me when a kid is dead for senseless reasons.

• “Propriety and courtesy mean nothing to me …”

It means something to the family.

Once again, you don’t need to make the reference to punctuate your point.

25. dmaxnjackson says:

Am I missing something? Was someone charged? If so, I must have been sleeping on that one.

26. Wateredown says:

I can just about guarantee that the Virginia State Police charged every one they could get their hands on. The article says 2 were arrested.. I know Trooper Mason personally and he will charge everyone he possibly can, and rightfully so..

One other thing I want people to know about these parties. 8 time out of 10 the police get a tip about them either while they are happening or prior to them starting.

So called adults, those over 18 yoa will be arrested on the spot.. Juvi’s have to be released to their parents and most juvi information isn’t put out to the public and you can’t search it on http://www.winfredclerk.com either.

Also everyone is hung up on the booze…. There are far worst things at these parties the alcohol is only the beginning.. Marijuana is just as plentiful and in most cases easier to get for the kids than the alcohol.

keep up with your kids! It is your job as parents to know who there with, when there with them and where they are at all times. I have a 17 year old… i have sprint family locator on his phone and he is to answer every time i call period!!!!!! If he’s going to die it’s going to be me that kills him…

no parties, no overnight stays unless i talk to the parents face to face… they are kids if you give an inch they will take a mile… we are the adults– the ones who are supposed to know better…

something else I see allot of you should be looking for as a parent. even though your child doesn’t drink or do drugs how do you know the one he is riding with doesn’t. Allot of innocent kids get hurt or worst buy riding with impaired drivers…

one last time.. know who your kids are with, when they are with them and where they are at all times….. It will save their lives!!! If you are being a pain in your kids A@# then you are doing your job!!!

27. livein22611 says:

In the Purcellville incident it states slearly that the kids involved had petitions filed against them. In the article about the party here in Clarke, nothing like that is mentioned. That leaves questions as to whether or not there were any consequences for the kids involved. Just state that petitions were filed and parents were called. We don’t need to know names, just that there were consequences.

28. Right Winger says:

When are the names of the so-called “adults” that were cited or busted going to be published?

CDN Editor: CDN has been in contact with the Commonwealth Attorney Office regarding the incident. The case is currently under review pending finalization of Virginia State Police reports. CDN is actively following this story and will provide additional information as we receive it.

29. Left Winger says:

So all you parents have nothing better to do than sit in front of the computer and bash the youth of CC? Not to mention throw around Aaron’s name like that will solve everything. Aaron was one of my best friends, and even a year later I’m still devastated by his loss, and the LAST thing he would want is to read this thread of blame game nonsense let alone be mentioned in it. I don’t condone underage drinking in any form, but in the end it’s your job (the parents) to stop it. So get out from in front of the computer and stop talking about someone you didn’t even know. Maybe you should go see what your kids are up to.

• CCHS Parent says:

I sit here in front of my computer reading praying that I DON’T have to read again about another of CC youths getting killed. It is a shame that a year later some of the youth of CC are still doing the same things!! Parents are STILL providing alcohol and the kids STILL think there is nothing wrong with this.

30. Naked Truth says:

Drinking and killing oneself is bad, but drinking and killing someone else is far worse. Wake up kids. It not all fun and games.

31. another view says:

Virginia has a drinking and driving problem. The United Kingdom, which has a population of over 60 million people, had 590 deaths from drunk driving in 2004. In the same year, Virginia which has a population 7.5 times smaller (8 million people), had 307 fatalities.

In the UK you can legally drink at 18 (age 5 with a parent). In the US the age is 21.

The problem is not at what age they drink, it is those who drink and then get behind a wheel!

• Smellin roses says:

The other little factoid that skews those stats is that, unlike here in the States, there is a much larger acceptance of (and, subsequently, use of) public transportation – buses, the Underground in and about London, trains, etc. Thus, folks move about to pubs, bars, restaurants, etc., more inclined to not drive their own vehicles on that side of the pond.

Still…the law is what it is, for now. Your mitchin and boanin about it ain’t gonna change it…at least not right away. So, quit whining and tell your underage friends to knock off the booze.

• another view says:

Stating a blatant discrimination is not whining, and if you read previous posts I have never condoned underage drinking. I think the law should be CHANGED! And if I bitch and complain enough laws can be changed, just like women bitchin and complaining in the 1920’s to get the right to vote, the Civil Rights in the 1960’s, etc.

And for your information England is not London, just like the United States is not New York City. The majority of the UK is open countryside and suburbs with limited public transport. I do not remember the Piccadilly (Blue) Line serving the The Black Swan in Brandesburton Yorkshire.

Anyway, is that an excuse for drunk driving, no public transportation?

• Smellin roses says:

Do a little more digging. The UK link you cite is fairly solid, although put together by someone peddling “tools” to beat a DUI conviction.

UK Fatal alcohol-related crashes, 2008 = 380 (w/a total of 430 deaths)
      Approximately 90,000 DUI convictions every year. (90% male)

VA Fatal alcohol-related crashes, 2008 = 365
      This number includes those who were not driving but were above the legal BAC limit as a passenger.

VA DUI Arrests 2007 (latest year #s available) = 24,170

DUI arrests as a % of total population:
      UK, 2007 => Total Population = 60,975,000
      DUI Arrests = 90,000 (approx.)
      1 in 677.5 people convicted of DUI (0.15% of the population).

VA, 2007 => Total Population = 7,712,091
      DUI Arrests = 24,170
      1 in 319 people (0.31% of the population)

Looking at those numbers, it does seem odd. However, there are a couple other things to consider:
      1.) Using “UK” statistics is skewed, as “UK” includes England, Wales, and Scotland. Population numbers will naturally be higher.
      2.) Take a look at penalties for DUI convictions. Are those in the “UK” stiffer than on this side of the pond? Would that be more of a deterrent?

I agree with you that nobody should drink and drive…period. However, to cherry-pick your stats to prop up your argument about the drinking age doesn’t really help your cause.

• another view says:

Actually you help prove my point. Whether you use your statistics (50 % less drinking and driving in UK), or my statistics (80% less drinking and driving in UK) my point stands, if age makes a difference then the UK should have a higher DUI rate, not lower.

Penalties in the UK are stiffer, and that is why there is less drinking and driving there than in Virginia. In the UK if you get caught for DUI you automatically loose your license for a year. In Virginia, maybe a few days, couple of weeks at the most. Have a good lawyer, you can get caught a few times and still be out on the road.

It was 1984 when the age was raised from 18 to 21 years of age. The immediate years after (1985-1990) there was no measurable effect on the number of drinking and driving deaths. (http://www.alcoholalert.com/drunk-driving-statistics-virginia.html) It wasn’t until 1991/1992 when tougher inforcement laws went into effect that drinking and driving accidents went down.

30 years ago when I was a teenager (under 18) my friends and I found many ways to drink beer. It is no different today and it will be no different 30 years from now. In some ways the drinking age exasperates the problem because when they get into college they have binge drinking. We could try completely banning alcohol, but they tried that in the 1920’s and that didn’t work out very well.

Go after the real problem, drinking and driving … and stop treating 18-21 year olds as children.

• Naked Truth says:

It doesn’t matter what the drinking age is by your example. It is the penalties for getting caught that make your numbers lower. That doesn’t mean that 18 year olds should be drinking. I think the age restriction has to do with more than drinking and driving. The vast majority of 18 year olds can not handle accohol.

• another view says:

If they are not responsible enough to drink they are not responsible enough to vote, sign contracts, be prosecuted as adults, etc..

But then again, look who 18-21 year olds voted for in mass for in the 2008 Presidential election. Maybe you are right … they are not responsible enough.